Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
I certainly don't want Apple just chasing trends with an "iPhone Max/Plus" or whatever this was meant to translate to. That said, it will be interesting to see if they do break from tradition and customize products for non-US markets. China is already the largest mobile phone market and will soon be the largest smartphone market (if it isn't already).

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
If I couldn't wait, I'd own a Samsung Note.
I have to admit they are pretty awesome.
Not only the screen but the operating system might be buggy and crash but it looks better than the iOS and it practically doesmore too.
I am disappointed with the iphone 5. In landscape, it is unusable. The screen proportion is great for video but useless for anything else. Try reading a text
Message conversation in landscape. Only one or 2
Lines fit. Very limiting...

but, since I am an apple user since 1986, Once you go Mac, you don't go back!
:)

Most if not all high end Android phones use 16:9 screen aspect ratio. What's the point of your message?

Prime85

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2012
Size is important. You can still hold a 4.8" iPhone with one hand.

it was never about holding the iPhone with one had, it was using it with one hand which will be impossible with this.

This phone will be a flop. Sure people will buy it but the 4" size will still be their best seller.

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Steve Jobs took one full year to give iOS copy and paste... And 4
Years to give iPhone an extra 1/2" screen...
Apple is too Cautious and with all the money they have, they should hire more developers to test new technology and release it more frequently

Steve Jobs also didn't want the company to always follow with what "he would have done" after he passed. He told them to go in the direction they felt was right. Who knows if this is that direction? I wouldn't mind at least a 4.5" screen. I'd be happy with that size and I think I could call it a day. I think it would just allow text to be displayed slightly larger without having to zoom in to read it.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
If Apple begins selling multiple flagship phones, they will be lost. I don't expect Apple to remain on the path SJ set for them forever, but I really thought they would continue for a few years (not months) without him.

It's nice that it looks like some others have the clarity of vision that SJ had though... Nest & Tesla look like pretty good companies that are accurately reproducing the Apple experience in other markets... some day here I'm hoping to do the same exact thing in another market...

dkersten

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2010
I really, really really really hope apple, doesn't catter to this supposed "demand" for a larger screen. It's completely blown out of proportion by now.

Oh my god thank you! Why should Apple offer a different option that people have wanted for awhile? I mean lets be realistic, the Note 2 and SGS3 have completely tanked. Obviously no one wants a larger sized screen.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
If this rumor is true, Steve Jobs would had been disappointed. Apple is becoming more stock market driven, rather than innovation driven.

But we keep being told that these other companies with their big *** phones is innovation. Now if Apple does it (which I really hope they don't) it's not innovation, it's me-too, too later being driven by stock market, blah blah blah. :rolleyes:

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
The way Apple is operating, one never knows.

I don't care what it's called, if it has a modern sized display I'm a buyer. I was just about to give up on the thought of Apple being open minded to current trends.

This (if true) is outrageously good news. You'll see, Apple will sell the large screen iPhone in massive quantities.

The naysayers that swore Apple would never build a smaller iPad were completely wrong. This is no different.

Since when does "big" = "modern"? iPad mini made sense because it fits into the thinner and lighter design philosophy, and the form factor is still considerably different from the 16:9 7" Android tablets. A "phablet" does not. Remember, "netbooks" were once the future of notebooks. Apple rightfully did not follow that trend. Phablets are inconvenient phones and subpar tablets. IOW, they don't do anything better. If Apple starts going down that trend, I'll be worried that they have run out of ideas and need to bring in a product strategy person.

Serelus

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2009
Vm9pZA
Yes what's wrong with a s/m/l format? All my apps are optimized for the current iP5. New screen sizes will not be a problem.

Until recently I still had over 10 apps that didn't utilize the full screen resolution. For now I still have three on there that still don't. I very much appreciate the way apple is doing things now, and not catter to what everyone thinks is right, but rather what really works and what's good for the user. A bigger screen is a matter of preference, not anything that innovates or improves the user experience overal. They actually JUST increased the screen size, and now people are still not satisfied, because the LG OPTIMUS XL 4X DELUXE has a 1080p screen, but the iPhone doesn't.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Oh my god thank you! Why should Apple offer a different option that people have wanted for awhile? I mean lets be realistic, the Note 2 and SGS3 have completely tanked. Obviously no one wants a larger sized screen.

Samsung capitalized on Nokia's foolish decision to Osborne all their devices 2 years ago. Nokia, like Samsung, was a company that attempted to appeal to everyone with dozens of phones. They took the approach of throwing as much spaghetti on the wall as possible and seeing what would stick. As far as I'm concerned, let them. That isn't a winning strategy for Apple. That's what Sculley, Spindler, and Amelio did.

ppdix

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2001
Miami Beach
I don't see how Apple offering a little variety would be un-Apple. You mean to say you like everything being dictated 100% of the way?

Maybe they should kill off every Mac except the MacBook Air and tell people it's the MacBook Air or the highway. Even the Air comes in multiple sizes, though!

Likewise, Apple makes 2 versions of the Cinema display - a thunderbolt one and a mini displayport model.

Things I think Apple should do:
* Sell a small (3.5"), and large (4.5"+) size iPhone
* Make 32GB standard, and a standard color - and then sell 16/64GB and other colors as BTO.

If they really wanted to impress me, they'd put an n-trig stylus layer in the iPads. This would allow 3rd parties (or even Apple) to sell a stylus as an option, and not clutter up their precious KISS scheme that sells so well.
Apple forgets the year 2000 and the revolutionary iMac
In translucent colors.
They stated the trend of multiple colors which everybody else in the world followed, and not just electronics. I
Still own a translucent red George Forman grill...
Why can't they give us choices?
Apple is gearing towards monochrome and greyscale on their Mac OS X and Mac apps. What's wrong with a little
Color?
It's funny that the Appearance system
Preference in mountain lion still has the horrible
"Graphite" setting. Apple hasn't used it on their
Macs for 10 years! That means they don't care if the user experience is fun or not as long as the system is stable. People need some eye candy too.
Choices are always welcome.

quickmac

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2011
Steve Jobs took one full year to give iOS copy and paste... And 4
Years to give iPhone an extra 1/2" screen...
Apple is too Cautious and with all the money they have, they should hire more developers to test new technology and release it more frequently

I'm not against more frequent releases of product lines, but look at your own words. It took a long time to get iOS even in line with what should have been standard and took even longer for Apple to "give in" to bigger screens on the phones. And how quickly have they given into smaller tablets and now even bigger phone screens?

Not saying Jobs was the be all and end all, but as soon as Cook took over the slide to "giving into" what others are already doing became quicker. Jobs said Apple would never do a 7 inch tablet and yet the iPad Mini exists. And Jobs resisted the larger phone screens and we have a larger iPhone and potentially larger ones coming.

Sure it's a new Apple with Jobs passed on, but there was likely a lot of expectations that Apple would follow his direction and management style for a few years and really all the signs show Apple is just starting to follow market trends and just becoming iClones to whatever else is out there. That's ashame.

Quu

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2007
Scumbag Apple, makes a larger screened iPhone. Axes 17" MacBook Pro :D

dkersten

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2010
Samsung capitalized on Nokia's foolish decision to Osborne all their devices 2 years ago. Nokia, like Samsung, was a company that attempted to appeal to everyone with dozens of phones. They took the approach of throwing as much spaghetti on the wall as possible and seeing what would stick. As far as I'm concerned, let them. That isn't a winning strategy for Apple. That's what Sculley, Spindler, and Amelio did.

Last time I checked, 3 models does not equal dozens of models. All Apple needs to do is keep a cheap 3.5 in option with previous gen hardware, a midrange 4 in (which I think is just completely stupid personally but thats for another time and thread), and a high end large screen phone. The only difference between the 4 in and larger phone would be a needed graphics bump and screen size. Apple already successfully ruined their "one screen resolution and size" thing so they should offer a larger sized phone, which would appeal to more people than you think.

This optimizes options for the consumer and keeps the supply chain lean and organized.

Serelus

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2009
Vm9pZA
It's not Inferior, just limited now. And yes I am hoping for something better.
Who isn't?

Yes, iPhone is more limited, thus inferior to the android device you actually require. Meaning your problem isn't that apple isn't building the right phone. It's you who sticks to apple like a magnet, not admitting android has built the product that you prefer. I like apple and the products they produce I love to use. But when they don't offer me what I want... I go to the competition, I don't sit around for apple to supposedly built a better product that may or may not come... : /

ppdix

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2001
Miami Beach
Yes what's wrong with a s/m/l format? All my apps are optimized for the current iP5. New screen sizes will not be a problem.
Not all apps are iPhone 5 ready and the proportions are very bad.
They should have stayed with the 3-2
Ratio Instead of this useless 16-9...
Check out how bad replying in this forum looks in landscape mode. Even in full screen...
The keyboard takes up most of the short screen!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    170.5 KB · Views: 169

Alx9876

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2008
NorCal
Thank you Apple for making this happen. About time. If this happens I will buyout my contract and buy this newer bigger iPhone.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
I very much appreciate the way apple is doing things now, and not catter to what everyone thinks is right, but rather what really works and what's good for the user.
I know what I want & what works for me. Some people like relying on Apple to tell them what's best. Others think for themselves.

Since Apples been ultra conservative & afraid of large screens, I went out & bought a few Androids to try. For me, nothing beats first hand experience.

I learned the joys of having a display that provides ample working room for fast typing of emails, texts, and other tasks one uses a smartphone for.

Now more than ever I want to replace my iPhone 5, with a significantly improved iPhone that has a proper sized display to compete in the marketplace.

My Androids are great, but I'm an Apple loyalist that would really like a relevant iPhone.

foxnews1

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2010
Yet another sign Apple is really starting to falter and lose it's way. They need to lead by design not follow. I hope they don't do something this foolish. Eventually the big screen craze will fade and Apple will be lumped in with all the other has beens and have to once again regain it's place among companies who actually innovate. I suppose it's all cyclical in the end. Apple will keep losing it's edge and become irrelevant then hopefully reinvent itself again.

Visionary SJ is gone. unfortunately there will be no one to reinvent/rescue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.