Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

StarPower

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2012
Apple NEEDS to do this. iPhone is the best phone on the market, but some people won't get it because it's "too small". That's just the way it is right now.

Give me an iPhone 5 with a 4.5+ inch screen with aspect ratio to match and NO QUESTION I will be first in line.

Mark my words, a large iPhone will sell INSANELY. And that means a lot considering how insanely every iPhone sells.

They'll still have options for a smaller phone for those who need a more dynamic and nimble handheld.

This would be INCREDIBLE news.

Awfisch

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2011
Mistranslation

There was an error in translation. It's iPhone Meth. And Apple doesn't have a say in the matter.

25ezaxj.jpg

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
It comes down to Apple's ability to leapfrog iOS ahead of the other OSes available today. They did it in 2007 and they need to do it again in 2013.

If Apple releases a larger phone but leaves iOS largely the same with little user customization available, I think little will change in terms of market share trends. Apple needs to think outside the box again with iOS while maintaining the overall stability of iOS.

Apple can keep the walled garden, but they need to let us move some things around inside the garden -- starting with letting us change the default apps for things like maps and e-mail.

lildimsum7

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2009
Comments like this always confuse me. What exactly does Apple have to be "desperate" about? They are one of the most profitable companies in the world.

that's true, but they're desperate to stay relevant in the marketplace. competition is forcing Apple to play catch-up. unless they use flexible displays for their iPhone+, it seems like a desperate move. but flexible displays probably won't show up for at least another year.

hoits2000

macrumors member
May 21, 2008
NW Indiana
Who in their right mind would believe this?

It took Apple 7 years to make a 4" iPhone, I'm sure a year later they wouldn't be making an oversized one.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
I really, really really really hope apple, doesn't catter to this supposed "demand" for a larger screen. It's completely blown out of proportion by now.

I hear ya.

On the other hand... every time someone purchases a phone larger than 4" then the demand is there.

The HTC HD2 was the first 4.3" phone... and it came out in 2009.

The HTC Evo and Motorola Droid X came out in 2010... and countless other "large-screened" phones have come out since then.

In fact... most flagship phones today are well beyond 4"

There must be something to that.

Serelus

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2009
Vm9pZA
I know what I want & what works for me. Some people like relying on Apple to tell them what's best. Others think for themselves.

Since Apples been ultra conservative & afraid of large screens, I went out & bought a few Androids to try. For me, nothing beats first hand experience.

I learned the joys of having a display that provides ample working room for fast typing of emails, texts, and other tasks one uses a smartphone for.

Now more than ever I want to replace my iPhone 5, with a significantly improved iPhone that has a proper sized display to compete in the marketplace.

My Androids are great, but I'm an Apple loyalist that would really like a relevant iPhone.

When I use the term "everyone" I mean this in a way where you and I both have our preferences when it comes to phones, and I am sure in that case the overall user experience you should have on a smartphone, is something that apple specializes in. And we're just going to have to deal with what they come up with. I for one hope that it's just a simple 5S with nothing special and a brand new iOS 7 feature rich. I am only trying to dispute the "need" for a larger screen everyone is talking about.

"Apple needs to prove that they can compete with Samsung.",
"Apple needs to make a bigger screen if they wanna keep up with the competition."

These sort of sentences are what frustrate me, because apple doesn't need to do any of those things. They are doing good in terms of market share, not better than samsung. But we all know who is making more money with their line of phones.

MontTrain

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2012
This seems to be the new "iPhone doesn't have flash" argument for Fandroids to repeat ad nauseum to prove their brands "superiority"

According to Google themselves 6% of their entire millions of devices are classified as having large screens. (This covers everything from 4.3 to 7")

http://developer.android.com/about/dashboards/index.html
http://developer.android.com/guide/practices/screens_support.html

6%. An overwhelming new frontier hey? LMAO

So no Apple doesn't need to do anything. Not everyone wants a brick – even from the companies that specialize in bricks.

ppdix

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2001
Miami Beach
Most if not all high end Android phones use 16:9 screen aspect ratio. What's the point of your message?

That the screen on the iPhone is too small for that ratio in landscape mode. When the keyboard shows, you can't read much of Anything else.

Don't u agree?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    181 KB · Views: 92

ppdix

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2001
Miami Beach
I know what I want & what works for me. Some people like relying on Apple to tell them what's best. Others think for themselves.

Since Apples been ultra conservative & afraid of large screens, I went out & bought a few Androids to try. For me, nothing beats first hand experience.

I learned the joys of having a display that provides ample working room for fast typing of emails, texts, and other tasks one uses a smartphone for.

Now more than ever I want to replace my iPhone 5, with a significantly improved iPhone that has a proper sized display to compete in the marketplace.

My Androids are great, but I'm an Apple loyalist that would really like a relevant iPhone.
Right on Maxosx!

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
Since when does "big" = "modern"? iPad mini made sense because it fits into the thinner and lighter design philosophy, and the form factor is still considerably different from the 16:9 7" Android tablets. A "phablet" does not. Remember, "netbooks" were once the future of notebooks. Apple rightfully did not follow that trend. Phablets are inconvenient phones and subpar tablets. IOW, they don't do anything better. If Apple starts going down that trend, I'll be worried that they have run out of ideas and need to bring in a product strategy person.
You have your opinion, I have mine.

See how easy that is :)

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
That the screen on the iPhone is too small for that ratio in landscape mode. When the keyboard shows, you can't read much of Anything else.

Don't u agree?

Apple was well aware of that when they decided to make a 16:9 phone.

Do you think no one at Apple ever turned the phone on its side during the testing phase?

16:9 on phones is here to stay. I guess we better get used to it.

ppdix

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2001
Miami Beach
Who in their right mind would believe this?

It took Apple 7 years to make a 4" iPhone, I'm sure a year later they wouldn't be making an oversized one.

Took only 5 years.
3.5" touch screen smart phones from Sony and nokia existed before.
I actually owned them both. But the first iPhone came out in 2007

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
No, just no. No no no no no, NO. Buy an android device, please. Stop making it sound like bigger screens are a necessity. THEY are not. this is simply a matter of taste. If you want a bigger screen, buy a phone with a bigger screen. This does not mean apple has to do the same, and I hope to god they don't.

Again with the "If you want something Apple doesn't have, get an Android, don't wish for Apple to get it"

If everyone thought like you did Apple would never improve the iPhone. For some people big screens are needed, people with failing eye sight like my Dad, people like me with huge hands, the iPhone just disappeared into them and they'd cramp up after extended use.

kobyh15

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2011
I'd rather see Apple focus on iOS 7 than bigger screens. The OS is getting stale. Hopefully Jonny Ive will bring something new to the table.

Yamcha

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2008
Won't the 4.8" screen create a problem for applications and games? Unless It has a usable resolution of 1024x768 we will have the stretching that the Android platform has..

ppdix

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2001
Miami Beach
Apple was well aware of that when they decided to make a 16:9 phone.

Do you think no one at Apple ever turned the phone on its side during the testing phase?

16:9 on phones is here to stay. I guess we better get used to it.

With all the recent bugs in iOS and Mac OS X,
looks like there are no testing phases. ;)

praterkeith

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2005
Montgomery, AL
I've said it before, I've got friends that would've bought iPhones but didn't like the screen. The general public is dumb and wants pretty things. This will be huge for apple. Regardless of whether or not anyone in particular doesn't like it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.