Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

flux73

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2009
iPhone 4S comes out; users complain it's not innovative enough because the screen size remained the same.

iPhone 5 comes out; users complain it's not innovative enough because the screen size is not big enough.

iPhone 5+ comes out; users will complain it's not innovative enough because Samsung did a 4.8" screen first.

Lesson: People like to complain.

Serelus

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2009
Vm9pZA
Again with the "If you want something Apple doesn't have, get an Android, don't wish for Apple to get it"

If everyone thought like you did Apple would never improve the iPhone. For some people big screens are needed, people with failing eye sight like my Dad, people like me with huge hands, the iPhone just disappeared into them and they'd cramp up after extended use.

Everyone doesn't think like that? No of course, people prefer to keep buying inferior products from companies they stay blindly loyal to.

What the hell man, it isn't up to apple to catter to that specific group off people. If they find smaller phones work, let them. If you don't like that than buy something else... That's what competition is for.

I'll do you one better, if everyone thought like you, apple would be designing 50 iPhones.

ppdix

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2001
Miami Beach
Again with the "If you want something Apple doesn't have, get an Android, don't wish for Apple to get it"

If everyone thought like you did Apple would never improve the iPhone. For some people big screens are needed, people with failing eye sight like my Dad, people like me with huge hands, the iPhone just disappeared into them and they'd cramp up after extended use.

My 70 year old mom complains about the text size on her iPhone 4S.
I made it bigger but she can't read full sentences because the screen
Is too small to hold all the text. Forget it if she wants to type. The keyboard is too big. She uses her iPad mini because she can read bigger text better.
A bigger screen is a must.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
This seems to be the new "iPhone doesn't have flash" argument for Fandroids to repeat ad nauseum to prove their brands "superiority"

According to Google themselves 6% of their entire millions of devices are classified as having large screens. (This covers everything from 4.3 to 7")

http://developer.android.com/about/dashboards/index.html
http://developer.android.com/guide/practices/screens_support.html

6%. An overwhelming new frontier hey? LMAO

So no Apple doesn't need to do anything. Not everyone wants a brick – even from the companies that specialize in bricks.

That's an excellent point.

On the other hand... you mentioned Android's millions of devices... and that includes all those $100 phones in developing nations. Those all have tiny screens.

I'd love to know the average screen size of flagship phones from major manufacturers.

It's increasingly difficult to find a flagship phone at 4" or below...

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Is too small to hold all the text. Forget it if she wants to type. The keyboard is too big. She uses her iPad mini because she can read bigger text better.

Get her an Ascend Mate ;)

H. Flower

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
In order to stay competitive, Apple must:

- Create iPhone "Maxi" for those who want one
- Reinvent OSX

AppleFanatic10

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2010
Hawthorne, CA
[url=http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

According to new information from the China Times translated by BrightWire, Apple is planning to release the iPhone 5S alongside a larger phone, deemed the "iPhone Math" by the report.

Because the iPhone Math name is highly unusual and does not fit in with Apple's traditional naming scheme, it is not clear if it is a code name or a potential mistranslation.

China Times says that the larger phone will come equipped with a 4.8-inch screen and an 8-megapixel camera. It is said that it will launch in June alongside an updated iPhone 5, which will also feature an 8-megapixel camera. An additional iPhone update is said to be coming during the holiday season, with a 12-megapixel camera.

Though the report contains detailed information on suppliers, manufacturers, and production times, it is difficult to believe that Apple will produce a bigger iPhone and that the company will release two iPhones in a six month time frame.This is not the first rumor that has featured a larger iPhone. Jeffries analyst Peter Misek first reported in December that Apple was working on an iPhone with a 4.8-inch display, but just last week noted that he has seen no further signs of the device. Digitimes also reported in early January that Apple was working on a bigger, more affordable iPhone that was targeted towards emerging markets, and analyst Brian White suggested that Apple might be considering launching its next iPhone in multiple sizes.

While rumors from the The Wall Street Journal and Bloomberg support the introduction of an additional iPhone at a lower cost, the device is said to be smaller, not larger.

As we noted the first time the 4.8-inch iPhone rumors emerged, Apple has just increased the size of the iPhone with the iPhone 5, and may be reluctant to face the same resolution and pixel density obstacles attempting to create an even larger iPhone.

Article Link: Apple Rumored to Debut 4.8-Inch 'iPhone Math' in June

Wait 3 iPhones in one year? That's doing a little too much don't you think? And "iPhone Math" doesn't even sound attractive lol.

Serelus

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2009
Vm9pZA

... Why didn't she use her iPad mini to begin with? And are you saying Apple needs to built their Phone accordingly to people who can see less? Don't you see what is wrong with that argument?

ppdix

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2001
Miami Beach
iPhone 4S comes out; users complain it's not innovative enough because the screen size remained the same.

iPhone 5 comes out; users complain it's not innovative enough because the screen size is not big enough.

iPhone 5+ comes out; users will complain it's not innovative enough because Samsung did a 4.8" screen first.

It's what keeps the innovations going. If the world settled for what's available we wouldn't even have electricity or telephones or cars.
Complaints lead to developments...

Alx9876

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2008
NorCal

Actually the iPhone 5 prototype was stolen by Samsung that had the original 4.8 inch display, Which Sammy was sued for last year.

4.8 inch was the iPhone 5. The current iPhone 5 would not have happened if Steve Jobs was alive.

VMMan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2009
A phone is an app, and not a device.

The iPhone is an ultra small tablet.

There is a big market for those of us who want a tablet with a phone app that's bigger than the ultra small tablet iPhone 5.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
Samsung capitalized on Nokia's foolish decision to Osborne all their devices 2 years ago. Nokia, like Samsung, was a company that attempted to appeal to everyone with dozens of phones. They took the approach of throwing as much spaghetti on the wall as possible and seeing what would stick. As far as I'm concerned, let them. That isn't a winning strategy for Apple. That's what Sculley, Spindler, and Amelio did.

What strategy? It's actually an easy decision:

Larger screen: yes/no

They either do it... or they don't.

Personally... I would love a larger iPhone.

Bubba Satori

Suspended
Feb 15, 2008
B'ham
No, just no. No no no no no, NO. Buy an android device, please. Stop making it sound like bigger screens are a necessity. THEY are not. this is simply a matter of taste. If you want a bigger screen, buy a phone with a bigger screen. This does not mean apple has to do the same, and I hope to god they don't.

Would it be as bad as dividing by zero for a company to sell phones with two different size screens?
Would it be as catastrophic as selling two different sized tablets?
As horrific as offering two different sized iMacs?

Why?
Seriously, is choice that apocalyptic?

----------

Bertrand Russell wrote a book about logic.
It's an excellent read.

sshambles

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2005
Australia
Really don't find it necessary. Current iPhone5 size is great. Wouldn't want, or need a bigger size than currently made. Period.

I've seen someone who adores their Galaxy Note, which is ridiculously big. (A tad bigger, yes, but unnecessary as a phone also). Apple have it right as is. This won't be happening.

lildimsum7

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2009
I read that the iPhone + will have a 12mp camera & 4.8" flexible display. if so, that would be incredible. supposedly samsung will also release devices with flexible displays this year! i hope this is true

ppdix

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2001
Miami Beach
... Why didn't she use her iPad mini to begin with? And are you saying Apple needs to built their Phone accordingly to people who can see less? Don't you see what is wrong with that argument?

Because she can't call from an iPad mini!
The phone is a necessity and something you take with you everywhere.
Yea, they need to make more choices available.
The trend in the 90's was smaller phones. Compare a Motorola brick to a Motorola Razr. The phones were just phones. All you needed was one or two
Lines of text and numbers.
Smart phones need more space because they are used as a computer,
A camera a web browser, etc.
Think of the experience of watching the Super Bowl, for
Example, on an old 20" CRT TV compared to the newest 65" LCD TV...
Then first 42" Plasmas cost $6000
Just 6 years ago. Now they go for $400.
People want bigger. Samsung just released an 84" TV. Why not? If u can afford
It, but it. Still there are a dozen sizes in between.
We need choices. That's all.

Serelus

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2009
Vm9pZA
Would it be as bad as dividing by zero for a company to sell phones with two different size screens?
Would it be as catastrophic as selling two different sized tablets?
As horrific as offering two differet sized iMacs?

Why?
Seriously, is choice that apocalyptic?

It's simple you see now, we have both apps working across both screen resolutions of the iPhone. What I absolute and positively do not want is having apps being created seperately for the iPhone's platform. I don't know what it's like now, but are you obligated to develop an app for anything of lower resolution than the iPhone 5? ie.: I made an iPhone 5 resolution app, do I have to make it iPhone 4S and 4 compatible?

I can only imagine that with this new iPhone "Math" another set of different apps is going to be made and sooner or later you won't be able to download apps anymore friends are telling you about or some apps you may find useful.
When iPad came out I struggled to download apps both on iPad and iPhone in the beginning, I don't wanna go through that with iPhone, between me and my girlfriend.
This is one of me main reasons I am with apple in the first place.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Really don't find it necessary. Current iPhone5 size is great. Wouldn't want, or need a bigger size than currently made. Period.

I've seen someone who adores their Galaxy Note, which is ridiculously big. (A tad bigger, yes, but unnecessary as a phone also). Apple have it right as is. This won't be happening.

Oh yes it will - It's what the market wants, so it's only a matter of time...

Serelus

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2009
Vm9pZA
Because she can't call from an iPad mini!
The phone is a necessity and something you take with you everywhere.
Yea, they need to make more choices available.
The trend in the 90's was smaller phones. Compare a Motorola starTac to a Motorola Razr. The phones were just phones. All you needed was one or two
Lines of text and numbers.
Smart phones need more space because they are used as a computer,
A camera a web browser, etc.
Think of the experience of watching the Super Bowl, for
Example, on an old 20" CRT TV compared to the newest 65" LCD TV...
Then first 42" Plasmas cost $6000
Just 6 years ago. Now they go for $400.
People want bigger. Samsung just released an 84" TV. Why not? If u can afford
It, but it. Still there are a dozen sizes in between.
We need choices. That's all.

People, want cars. Wether they want big or small cars that's a matter of opinion. People want phones, wether they want small or big phones is a matter of opinion. So don't use the word "people" but rather "I prefer." and the example you gave didn't state your 70 year old mother was making a phone call. You said she had a hard time reading the characters and then switched to iPad mini, which could of been done initially.

WeegieMac

Jan 29, 2008
Glasgow, UK
"We want to build the best products for our customers".

Steve Jobs, D8 - 2010.

Apple are slowly losing sight of that goal. I haven't felt like Apple want to make "the best" products for us in quite a while now.

selva

macrumors member
Jan 14, 2011
No, just no. No no no no no, NO. Buy an android device, please. Stop making it sound like bigger screens are a necessity. THEY are not. this is simply a matter of taste. If you want a bigger screen, buy a phone with a bigger screen. This does not mean apple has to do the same, and I hope to god they don't.

Sorry, but you make NO sense. Apple has already saturated the market for the smartphone. They NEED to hit the phablet space to continue their growth.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.