Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jeejeebu

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
So I had a horrible disaster and destroyed my MBA's screen. I decided that rather than spending the money on a new screen, I would drop a couple hundred more and get a new 11" MBA. The hard drive and everything still work in my 13" MBA, so what I would ideally like to do is swap the bigger drive, with all my stuff on it, into my new computer. Is there any reason I cannot do this?

jobush

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2013
Both the 2011 and 2012 Macbook Air have flash storages smoldered into the logic board. You can't 'pull the SSD out at snap it into a new one'.

It just doesn't work that way. You can't strip away a flash memory from a logic board and stuff it on a new one.

You should do your research before asking a question like this on the forum...

There is an iFixit guide and people say it is theoretically possible to replace the flash storage module:but I doubt that you know how to tear a computer apart and put it back together given that you know so little of how the hardware works.

Furthermore, iFixit is reporting that the flash module and the connector seems to be redesigned, so it is likely that the flash storage from last year's air will not be so compatible with the new one you would cash out.

As much as this may be difficult to accept, don't ask for a second opinion - if in doubt, do some research on your own.

macsrcool1234

Suspended
Oct 7, 2010
Both the 2011 and 2012 Macbook Air have flash storages smoldered into the logic board. You can't 'pull the SSD out at snap it into a new one'.

It just doesn't work that way. You can't strip away a flash memory from a logic board and stuff it on a new one.

There is an iFixit guide and people say it is theoretically possible to replace the flash storage module:but I doubt that you know how to tear a computer apart and put it back together given that you know so little of how the hardware works.

Furthermore, iFixit is reporting that the flash module and the connector seems to be redesigned, so it is likely that the flash storage from last year's air will not be so compatible with the new one you would cash out.

As much as this may be difficult to accept, don't ask for a second opinion - if in doubt, do some research on your own.

You could have answered his question and left it at that but instead you decided to waste your time (and my time reading) by berating the op and putting your 2 cents in.

As much as this may be difficult to accept, you can simply answer his question and leave it at that.

jeejeebu

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
Wow, nice way to answer a question. I asked because I didn't know. I have, several times, taken apart and put back together my laptops without problem. I did try searching the question, but could not find an answer, which is why I asked. Thank you for treating me like a total idiot for asking. I haven't been around in a while, but by your join date, if you are the new breed of MacRumorers, I now know not to come back.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
[/COLOR]
Speaking of people who need to look things up.

The SSD is not soldered on - it's plugs into a connector. The only question is if the 2011 and the 2012 use the same connector

The RAM is what is soldered in.

Last edited:

robvas

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2009
USA
Wow, nice way to answer a question. I asked because I didn't know. I have, several times, taken apart and put back together my laptops without problem. I did try searching the question, but could not find an answer, which is why I asked. Thank you for treating me like a total idiot for asking. I haven't been around in a while, but by your join date, if you are the new breed of MacRumorers, I now know not to come back.

You can remove the Air SSD if you have the special screwdriver. But, the 2011 and 2012 drive connectors in the Air are not compatible.

The 2010 and 2011 are, however.

JA5BS.jpg

jobush

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2013
I'm just frustrated that a lot of people don't take their time to try to research for themselves before relying on the community to spit out an answer for them.

I admit I was being rude - but I felt that it was not difficult at all to find the answer to the question.

For that I apologize.

And for future references; if you want to check rather certain parts of an apple product is replaceable/interchangeable or not - tear downs and repair guides of ifixit.com is the way to go.

And when I said that the SSD was smoldered in - it was in a metaphorical sense that it's pretty much impractical to replace.

I did mention in my previous response that it is possible pull them out and shove them back in - although i see very little reasons to do so.

At least for the purpose of the question, the given option cannot be viable as his/her solution.

ybz90

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2009

This is just plain wrong. It's bad enough to be a giant jerk, and even more embarrassing when you're completely incorrect. They come on non-standard modules, but to answer the OP, the 2011 and 2012 modules are not the same shape (or even connector?) and thus are not compatible.

----------

I'm just frustrated that a lot of people don't take their time to try to research for themselves before relying on the community to spit out an answer for them.

And when I said that the SSD was smoldered in - it was in a metaphorical sense that it's pretty much impractical to replace.

What's wrong with that? To some, even with some searching, the answer may not be immediately obvious or there might conflicting information, such as what you posted. When you google a question you have, a lot of the good information comes from forum posts like these in the past. Maybe in a few weeks/months, someone will have the same question and find this exact thread. I would agree with you if the OP asked a completely stupid question, but this is not an example of that. Isn't this the whole point of MacRumors? A place where Apple users can come together to discuss various things and ask for / receive help?

Most of all, I don't see why you are frustrated by this. How does this affect you at all? Are you forced by anyone to read or respond to this topic? Does it somehow degrade or dilute the MR experience for you to have someone ask this question, which in and of itself, is perfectly harmless and acceptable? If you think the OP's question is stupid, then ignore the thread. But don't be rude, and even worse, wrong in your answer while you're deriding him/her.

Also, it's not even remotely impractical to replace. Have you ever tried it? I've done it maybe dozens of times now. It's about the same difficulty as replacing a hard drive in a MBP.

attis

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2012
You can't 'pull the SSD out at snap it into a new one'.

What?! Really? Apparently, you are the one who needs to grab yourself by the collar before answering questions you think you have the answer to.

That's EXACTLY how it works. Modular units are built to "strip away" and "stuff it" on another.

And for future references; if you want to check rather certain parts of an apple product is replaceable/interchangeable or not - tear downs and repair guides of ifixit.com is the way to go.

I did mention in my previous response that it is possible pull them out and shove them back in - although i see very little reasons to do so.

At least for the purpose of the question, the given option cannot be viable as his/her solution.

Sure, iFixit is a great way to look up this, but have you ever considered that everyone might not know about the site? The TS for example?

it so happens that the SSD is for one, the only part of HD/CPU/RAM/Etc that is replaceable. And it also is extremely easy. It's attached with ONE screw. One.

Why would you give a nonsense statement like that, with contradicting information, when the person asking obviously is doing so since he/she doesn't know. And then claiming it was metaphorical, when you yourself said that the person probably doesn't know how to take a computer apart. You are first claiming a level of (low) intelligence/knowledge of a person, which is very offensive I think. And then making statements "above" that made up level of knowledge, which then turns out to be factually wrong.

What a load of @#%.

Also, to appeal to the TS to not "ask for a second opinion" must be against some fundamental rule of this forum or forums in general. If not presented with seemingly reliable and researched facts (unlike yours) to weigh opinions and facts against each other is how you reach your own decision in the matter.

---

I wanted to get a cheap 11" MBA as a way to save a duplicate of my images when going on a long trip later this year and myself researched the possibility of putting a larger ssd in place of the 64gb standard one. I found lots of contradicting information on module sizes, connector standards and so on. - I think the question asked in this thread to begin with is completely legitimate therefore.

jobush

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2013
For your question - yes I know how it works.
Have I done it myself? No.
Is it a trivial task for an average user? Probably not.

Before going anywhere, I would like to elaborate on the 'impracticality'.

The impracticality here meant that I see no reason for someone to take the effort to do it unless:
a.) The SSD module is busted out (Highly unlikely - given they're Flash based)
b.) Someone felt like having a storage upgrade. (But to my knowledge, replacement SSD module for the Macbook air and Retina MBP does not come by easily. Therefore also rather unlikely)

Now, for my 'misbehavior'.

I admit that I was being a jerk, and have been rude. And perhaps I took things a bit too far. Yes, I was a little harsh, insensitive and/or not considerate (enough). And As I said above, for that I am truly sorry.

It seems that people are taking my initial post as me trying to be a total jerk. My intention was to just 'sting' a little. And as I said above, perhaps I have taken it too far.

I believe that we share different views in regards to at what point a question becomes 'a stupid one.' For me, I googled things up real quick before I clicked 'submit Reply' just to cross-reference and was able to confirm that what I composed as my first response, was in fact true (well, at least in the way I intended to say it). I used a metaphor just to tell jeejeebu that swapping the module is pretty much impossible. It seemed like a few people took it the wrong way. For that too, it was a miscommunication from my end; for that I apologize as well, and am clarifying at this moment. I also will try from now on to avoid such language so a miscommunication like this would happen at least less frequently.

I have tried to handle this in a as mature manner as possible, and I hope that you do the same - take my apology, and leave it as is.

P.S. I have already apologized once - I don't think you have to bash me for it again and again. And taking bits out of my post to suit your needs is not an honorable way of approaching things.

jobush

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2013
On a side note, I believe most people are more busy trying to hammer me down instead of trying to have the OP's question answered.

I did not take the best approach, and there was plenty room for miscommunication. I am sorry. However, I am confident that plenty of people have clarified to ensure the job was done.

I hope we can leave it as is.

If more people try to shoot me down - I am going to take such people ones that are no better than teenagers on the internet having nothing better to do than finding faults in other people to hammer them down for personal gratification.

I will not post on this thread any farther.

If you feel that you have something to say to me - please PM me; I am more than happy to discuss, so long as it is productive.

For the last time I am sorry, and thank you.

robvas

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2009
USA

The problem with researching this problem is that message boards like this one are full of incorrect answers by people like yourself who answer questions when they don't know the answer.

So what shows up in Google search results? The wrong answer.

Swapping drives in an Air isn't as common as in a Pro so the correct answer can be very hard to find.

attis

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2012
All the nonsense aside - did you find an answer?

I -think- that interchanging drives between 2010 and 2011 models works fine, just as buying a new msata (?) ssd to put in. But the 2012 seems harder. Did you find any other way than going through OWC?

robvas

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2009
USA
All the nonsense aside - did you find an answer?

I -think- that interchanging drives between 2010 and 2011 models works fine, just as buying a new msata (?) ssd to put in. But the 2012 seems harder. Did you find any other way than going through OWC?

That's what I posted earlier - 2011/2010 can be swapped but 2012 isn't compatible with the older style.

thope

macrumors member
Aug 3, 2009

Smoldered... interesting word, was that supposed to mean soldered? Do yourself a favor and stop embarrassing yourself. Don't post at all.

ybz90

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2009
Let this thread die. The OP isn't even here any more. Jobush was mean, and we were mean to him for it. There's no need to continue the hazing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.