Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Risco

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 22, 2010
United Kingdom
I am a freshman of about 8 months with regards Mac, so am not very proficient with command line and tweaking etc. I also am getting a bit of a headache trying to figure out how to get Time Machine working on a network drive. So how would I go about this?

I have installed Paragon EXTFS so I can use EXT format. I have also formatted in EXT4 by using Gargoyle GUI. I gave up on the pain in the butt that is Ubuntu as when I was finally able to boot in to it, the damn mouse and keyboard did not work. I only wanted it so I could format the damn drive. I did try and do it via Disk Utility but it is slow as hell!

So Time Machine - Eternal Drive - Samba - WNDR 3700.

This is the firmware I am using:

https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=27722

Risco

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 22, 2010
United Kingdom
Solved!

This is how I did it:

1: Created a local encrypted backup with the following lines in Terminal
PHP:
  hdiutil create -size 650g -type SPARSEBUNDLE -encryption AES-128 -nospotlight -volname 'backup' -fs 'Case-sensitive Journaled HFS+' -verbose backup

Where it says 650G, this is the size of the sparsebundle in GB. Don't worry about space as 650G = 650mb used on your HDD initially. This will be AES encrypted as well.

2: Move the sparsebundle to your mounted network drive.

3: Mount the sparsebundle (which is now on your network drive) locally on your Macbook.

4: Now tell Time Machine to use it as a backup with the following code -

Code:
sudo tmutil setdestination /Volumes/backup

5: Go in to Time Machine preferences and you should see your drive there.

6: Download Onyx from MacUpdate and under utilities click visibility and select your mounted drive and choose hide.

7: To make it automount choose get info on your sparsebundle and under server copy the address. Finally add it to the end of the following code -

PHP:
sudo tmutil setdestination

8: Give a few minutes and it should kick in!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.