Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joeloco

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2013
Malta, Europe
I want to remove the the 1TB HD in my Mini 2012 and replace it with a SSD (I do not want any internal spinning disks).

OWC recommended this cheap 5 piece kit.

1. I'm in the UK and this will take 3 weeks to be delivered, has anyone sourced a similar kit in the UK? My searches on eBay and Amazon UK have not yielded me much success.

2. Can anyone confirm that these are all the tools I need? I asked OWC about the logic board removal tool and they said I could just use the two screwdrivers.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :) Cheers!

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
I bought this one from amazon....Covers everything you need...I got it to upgrade the RAM on my 17" MBP, but it's got the lot.

Attachments

• Toolkit.png
    Toolkit.png
    168 KB · Views: 195

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
From memory - all you'll need is a T8 screwdriver (and perhaps a T6?).

The tool to slide the logic board out is just a bent piece of metal. Two small screwdrivers, or even two strong paperclips will work.

takiv

macrumors member
Jan 5, 2013
Moonville, SC
From memory - all you'll need is a T8 screwdriver (and perhaps a T6?).

The tool to slide the logic board out is just a bent piece of metal. Two small screwdrivers, or even two strong paperclips will work.

T8,T6 and a 2mm hex although you can use the T8 to remove the hex. I bought the OWC kit and I either misplaced, or did not get the logic board removal tool. I just used the 2 screwdrivers.

That-Guy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2012
UK
1. I'm in the UK and this will take 3 weeks to be delivered, has anyone sourced a similar kit in the UK? My searches on eBay and Amazon UK have not yielded me much success.

Took just 8 days to get my OWC order to the UK with their cheapest delivery option.

Pheo

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2011
Took just 8 days to get my OWC order to the UK with their cheapest delivery option.

I was able to buy a hex toolkit and plastic spudger, which from memory is all you need, all from eBay UK (UK Sellers)

Any generic hex toolkit with the right sizes will do. You don't need the OWC one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.