Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

saha-med

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2012
yes my whites are too bright as well, what i did was d/l shady off macstore

temp fix....

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
i got i7 2.3ghz 2012, it getts very noisy any random unexpected time, not necessarily "heavy" loaded, it does even when comp is in sleep
If it's making noise when it's "asleep", it's not actually asleep. My 2.3 Mini is effectively silent except when converting videos or doing other heavy processing where I'd expect it to get loud.

costabunny

macrumors 68020
May 15, 2008
Weymouth, UK
Just for info - after the latest firmware release my 2012 mini has shown no issues when using hdmi (which I use a lot as I have my Toshiba TV hooked up as well as my Ilyama monitor through miniDP).

I did have to calibrate the screen after the firmware as the colours were all washed and it seemed that contrast was knackered too, Once I did the calibrate it was like having a different monitor - the hdmi output was crisp, clear and colours were strikingly awesome.

I suggest anyone having issues still to check for the firmware update, and then rn the calibration - it seriously is worth the time.

As for fan noise - mine is a 2.3 i7 Server with 16GB Ram (3rd party) and 1TB HDD wih 240GB Intel 530 SSD. The only time I hear the fans is if I am using my Windows VM with Corel Draw (this seems to be intensive) and also when I am transcoding video files - although I'd say most times I transcode it runs the fans fairly low.

My experience with the i7 mini is a good one now the firmware fixed the hdmi dropouts. I was miffed at first when it seemed to still have rubbish colours with hdmi cable, but I followed the calibrate and WOW fixed.

And as a footnote to re-iterate whats been said here before: HDMI is digital. a £1.99 bay cable will do the same job as a £99 Harrods one. as long as the cable is not faulty; there is no difference.

BigMa

macrumors member
May 31, 2012
Hi costabunny! :)

You noted: “…I did have to calibrate the screen after the firmware as the colours were all washed and it seemed that contrast was knackered too.” :apple:
Would you kindly explain a newbie how to calibrate the screen: I have HP ZR30w connected via mDP-DP cable to Mac mini (late 2012)? :confused:

costabunny

macrumors 68020
May 15, 2008
Weymouth, UK
hi hi

I think System Prefs->Displays->Color->Calibrate

follow the instructions and slider things

I think there is an apple doc on more detail but for me it was enough to start it up and follow the prompts.

elolaugesen

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2008
I use Spyder4 Pro to calibrate my screens, Apple Cinema, Mac Book, MacBookPro and Ipad for displaying paintings.....

without calibrating all screens will look different every single one. You can also get tools to calibrate televisions for viewing films and day to day use.

likewise every printer and each kind of paper must be calibrated if you want consistent pictures.

I bought Mac mini pro late 2012 2.3 4-5 days ago. downloaded all updates. then transferred all files, using hdmi with apple cinema (hdmi-dvi adapter) calibrated the screen.

great images(so far). good machine added new memory from crucial..
just this minute pulled out my hdmi to dvi adapter went live to the thunderbolt to dvi adapter. all fine no problems.... good colours good images..
cheers elo

----------

One last thing I learned from a site dealing with professional photographers/Printers.

do not have your screen too brights. lower the brightness to suit the environment you are in.. watch all the lights around you that will reflect on your screen..
if print look darker than your screen but print is ok lower screen brightness...

cheers

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.