Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jDW194

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 12, 2013
Canberra, Australia
As a first time iMac owner, and having just bought a 2013 iMac without super drive I am amazed that I can't by photoshop elements 11 from Mac App Store!

Instead I can buy it for apple store ... But then I have to buy a super drive in order to install it ?? That's messed up?

It makes no sense , apple state that they don't sell Internal DVD drives because they are for people living in the past and everyone downloads software now?

I was massively disappointed when I got my first look at the Mac App Store #

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
As a first time iMac owner, and having just bought a 2013 iMac without super drive I am amazed that I can't by photoshop elements 11 from Mac App Store!

Instead I can buy it for apple store ... But then I have to buy a super drive in order to install it ?? That's messed up?

It makes no sense , apple state that they don't sell Internal DVD drives because they are for people living in the past and everyone downloads software now?

I do see digital downloads of PS Elements 10 at Amazon. I'll would guess that 11 will also become available as a download in the near future. And I would guess that it Adobe that determines download availability not Apple. I'm sure Apple would love to have it as a download and get a cut of the purchase.

The only thing I use a dvd drive for is ripping dvd's. So maybe they are not as far off as you think.;)

drambuie

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2010
PS Elements 11 (Mac) is available as a download directly from adobe.com. If you have a previous version, Mac or PC, you can get the upgrade price.

jDW194

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 12, 2013
Canberra, Australia
Yes thanks found it at adobe.com.au AU$139 download. Also at amazon.com for US$71.... But, wait for it "download only available in the US!

Another case of rip off Australia, since AU$1 = US$1.05 how ridiculously more expensive is that and for what justification... No disc, no postage , no books .... No fair!

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
Yes thanks found it at adobe.com.au AU$139 download. Also at amazon.com for US$71.... But, wait for it "download only available in the US!

Another case of rip off Australia, since AU$1 = US$1.05 how ridiculously more expensive is that and for what justification... No disc, no postage , no books .... No fair!

Could there be taxes/VAT/Business Costs in the AU that do not apply in the USA for downloaded software? The exchange rate in comparing products in two countries is never a fair nor complete comparison. Also, Amazon is a volume reseller and can sell below MSRP at a discount, does Amazon operate in Australia? Again, if they do not, then it is not a fair complaint.

Bending Pixels

macrumors 65816
Jul 22, 2010
It's not messed up. The days of software coming on a CD/DVD are numbered. Even in the WinDoze world, Microsoft has copied Apple with their version of the App Store.

FWIW, most software manufacturers are offering direct download of their software.

One more thing...I just checked the Adobe Australia site, and...wait for it...wait for it... you can download Photoshop Elements 11 from there. Yes...it links you to the US site, but you can still download it and put in your product serial number.

gazonk

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2009

Photoshop LE 11 has been out for a while now, so it's strange that the App Store still only has LE 10. Has anyone heard rumors of whether LE 11 will show up in the App Store soon?

drambuie

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2010

Can't you pay in USD? Then only the actual exchange, plus CC conversion service fees will be on the CC bill. From Canada, any downloaded software I've bought from the US could be paid for in USD or CDN.

drambuie

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2010
Photoshop LE 11 has been out for a while now, so it's strange that the App Store still only has LE 10. Has anyone heard rumors of whether LE 11 will show up in the App Store soon?

That's probably because the App Store version is a stripped down version of PS Elements, that only has the editor. Adobe and Amazon sell complete retail PSE packages in their downloads.

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR

I was massively disappointed when I got my first look at the Mac App Store ��

I cannot remember the last time I loaded software from a DVD... it has been years. I think it was the Snow Leopard upgrade from Leopard.

The Mac Apple Store (MAS) is only one way to buy downloaded software. I generally prefer buying from the MAS rather than direct from the company because it automatically gives me a license for every computer that I own... plus updates are managed from one place on a daily schedule vs. from within applications where they want to update upon launch... exactly the time I want to "use" the software vs "update" the software.

Still... if it is not available in the MAS... then I generally buy a digital download from the manufacturer.

/Jim

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.