Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DanielYilmaz

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 8, 2012
I can hear the fan on my imac and I can hear a rapid clicking noise is that normal ? Like is it meant to be completely silent or am I just paranoid ?

DanielYilmaz

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 8, 2012
Mine is very quiet and smooth, but not silent. No clicking here, that might be a fan that's not quite right. Others have reported similar in another thread.

Well I think I can just hear the hard drive and im being really paranoid :p The clicking im hear isnt that distinctive thanks :)

Mac32

Suspended
Nov 20, 2010
You should hear a very low fan sound if it's completely quiet in your room, but no clicking. PS: If you hear clicking/crackling sounds, they may be from your HD (which is normal even when idling - some HDs make more noise than others in my experience), so don't go changing your iMac prematurely. :)

myuserid08

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2008
Could also be the screen warming up/cooling down - mine crackles/clicks.
If you adjust the screen brightness does the frequency change ?

JoshMKB24

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2013
Midwest
Probably depends what configuration you have. I have the SSD and I never hear anything from it. However if it has a regular spinning disk, I'd imagine you would hear that on occasion as well as the fans.

seble

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2010
I can't hear a thing from mine and that's with putting it right up to my ear. Maybe I'm just deaf, but to me (even when gaming) this 21.5 fusion drive is mega quiet.

JustMartin

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2012
UK
When mine is backing up, I can often hear the Time Capsule drive 'clunking' about 1.5 metres away, but not a peep out of the iMac. Which makes sense as the stuff that's being backed up is most recently changed and that should be mostly on SSD part of Fusion.

pukingpixels

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2012
Sweden
Mine has been super quiet so far for everything I've been doing with it. Movies, photoshop, streaming etc. Haven't had the time to game on it yet though but I'd be very surprised if it would still be as quiet when gaming.

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2006
The clicking fan is a problem I and others have had. If it is your hard drive, it would only be heard when the hard drive is working. My clicking never let up and it got louder as the fan increased in speed.

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2006
Could also be the screen warming up/cooling down - mine crackles/clicks.
If you adjust the screen brightness does the frequency change ?

I don't hear any crackles from my screen. That used to happen on CCFL-backlit monitors but I've never heard anything like that from an LED-backlit.

Tri-stan

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
Does anybody like the sound of moving air? When all other michanical noise cant be heard apart from the sound of rushing air. I hope my iMac is like that :)

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
If you want to hear how much noise it can really make, boot into the hardware diagnostic mode and run the memory tester. Wow, like a vacuum cleaner.

seble

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2010
I lie I pulled my desk forward to install some LEDs today, and damn I put that thing to my ear and it is incredibly silent! Like if you can hear that you must have ultra hearing, it was so quiet, first time I've heard it since owning it. Pushed back on my desk can't and haven't heard a peep

iMcLovin

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2009
I had the rapid clicking sound for the first couple of weeks - its not the hdd its the fan , since I have no HDD in mine. Its not suppose to be there. But it can go away once the iMac has been on for a while. Its something touching the fan. I tilted my screen and let it be on for an entire night and it was gone. Now its completely silent :)

mrjose

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2012
Sacramento
I had the rapid clicking sound for the first couple of weeks - its not the hdd its the fan , since I have no HDD in mine. Its not suppose to be there. But it can go away once the iMac has been on for a while. Its something touching the fan. I tilted my screen and let it be on for an entire night and it was gone. Now its completely silent :)

Wonder if the "something" broke off or the fan stopped working???

edry.hilario

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2010

what did you exactly do to fix it ?? i want to try it on mine what do you mean tilting it ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.