Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GS3 or Nexus 4?

• GS3

Votes: 20 42.6%
  • Nexus 4

Votes: 27 57.4%

• Total voters

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
I'm looking at buying my first Android phone to use at work alongside my iP5 - while I love my iP5 and can't bring myself to part from it, I feel using two iphones (4S at work) is redundant and I'd like to use the opportunity of having two phone lines to try out some new stuff.

That being said I was all ready to wait for the Nexus 4 because of the price point (I want to stay under $400) but now that I look at eBay, the GS3 comes in at around the same price ($365-$400 for quite a few ones in good condition).

So - which one should I get?

EDIT - keep in mind, this will be an "upgrade" from an iPhone 4S.

bembol

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2006
Not having a removable battery of expandable memory doesn't bother me.

Hate to say it but it's LG. I had a Dummy Phone long time ago and it lasted 3-4 months. I just can't drop my money on them even though the nexus is cheap.

If it was Samsung, hTC or even Sony I would've pre-ordered it right away.

I love my Home Theater and never considered or even looked at one.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
If you vote, I'd love to hear the reasoning behind it....

I learn toward the N4 because its vanilla Android and unlocked.

Then again I learn toward the GS3 because of the added features and overall better feel of the phone - and I've been told its simple to remove touchwiz if I want vanilla android.

If anyone has any other pros or cons of either, feel free to chime in!

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
Go with the nexus 4. It's pure Google experience is only rivaled by iOS. The phones limitations (non remove able battery and no expandable memory) won't be a problem if you're coming from an iPhone and frankly, I think they're over blown. you'll get updates immediately as well and for a while to come. 4.2 is fast and liquid smooth with no bloated skins like touchwiz or sense. The skins are also a reason why they don't get updates as fast. Being locked to a carrier is another. Both are non issues for the nexus.

DeusInvictus7

macrumors 68020
Aug 13, 2008
Kitchener, Ontario
Not having a removable battery of expandable memory doesn't bother me.

Hate to say it but it's LG. I had a Dummy Phone long time ago and it lasted 3-4 months. I just can't drop my money on them even though the nexus is cheap.

If it was Samsung, hTC or even Sony I would've pre-ordered it right away.

I love my Home Theater and never considered or even looked at one.

You do realize your comparison is extremely skewed, right? You can't compare a dummy phone from "a long time ago" to a flagship smartphone. It doesn't work that way.

Then again I learn toward the GS3 because of the added features and overall better feel of the phone - and I've been told its simple to remove touchwiz if I want vanilla android.

What do you mean better feel? I've had both phones, and the Nexus 4 definitely feels like a better built device, and looks a lot better imo. The S3 is curvier on the sides, if that's what you meant by better feel, but the Nexus seems to just be sturdier feeling.

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire

The reasons you state are the reasons that keep me from finally selling one, just when I'm about in "launch" mode, I think about the reasons that I like the other phone.

Where's the bang head smiley when you need it?

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
Until you've owned & experienced both, as I have, there's no way to fully appreciate the highly superior "Pure Android Experience" afforded by the Nexus line of devices.

Sadly, Apples conservative position, clinging to a small screen & the mantra "you can use it one handed" pushed me towards Android.

That said, what I didn't have a clue about was just how wonderful Android via Nexus is.

I have a Nexus 4 as my primary smartphone (iPhone 5 as secondary ) and my Nexus 7 tablet which is superior to my iPad mini for my preferences.

If as I suspect, others have done as I have after owning every iPhone, Apples slowing losing customers. Their arrogant attitude prevents them from seeing this until its pandemic.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
What do you mean better feel? I've had both phones, and the Nexus 4 definitely feels like a better built device, and looks a lot better imo. The S3 is curvier on the sides, if that's what you meant by better feel, but the Nexus seems to just be sturdier feeling.

The N4 is slightly thicker and has a less ergonomic feel in hand. Also the glass is supposedly extremely fragile and so I would compare an N4 with a case versus a GS3 without one (though I might get a case for the GS3 too...)

----------

The reasons you state are the reasons that keep me from finally selling one, just when I'm about in "launch" mode, I think about the reasons that I like the other phone.

Lol sorry to contribute to your dilemma....the quick updates are a big deal for me (especially having used iPhones) but I hear 4.2 isn't all that great and is pretty buggy?

How are OEMs and carriers getting at releasing updates nowadays....any better?

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England

Why dont you use each phone exclusively for three or so days (a week if you're in no rush to decide) and leave the other one switched off, and see which one you manage better with.

----------

How are OEMs and carriers getting at releasing updates nowadays....any better?

A bit. Well, Samsung is. They at least get a couple of updates now, which wasn't always the case.

Jelly Beaan announced in June but didn't make onto the S3 until December as far as I know.

You can usually flash a leaked ROM a few months early; I did so in September. This isn't the same as rooting and doesn't void warranty.

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
Why dont you use each phone exclusively for three or so days (a week if you're in no rush to decide) and leave the other one switched off, and see which one you manage better with.

I have done Matt, I use them for about a week each and then realise that I am still undecided. I didn't find it so difficult to choose between my iPhone 5 and S3, I'm not saying the S3 was better, (It wasn't, I thought the iPhone was superb), it was that on that occasion I preferred the S3. :)

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
I have done Matt, I use them for about a week each and then realise that I am still undecided. I didn't find it so difficult to choose between my iPhone 5 and S3, I'm not saying the S3 was better, (It wasn't, I thought the iPhone was superb), it was that on that occasion I preferred the S3. :)

Ahh I thought you meant you had an iPhone and S3, not an S3 and N4 :p

Well with the S3 you can install a stock Android ROM if you wish, but I don't think you can install a Touchwiz ROM on the N4; correct me if I'm wrong.

I would probably just sell whichever I'd get the most money for.

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
Ahh I thought you meant you had an iPhone and S3, not an S3 and N4 :p

Well with the S3 you can install a stock Android ROM if you wish, but I don't think you can install a Touchwiz ROM on the N4; correct me if I'm wrong.

I would probably just sell whichever I'd get the most money for.

I dont have the best eyesight in the world so preferred the larger screen on the S3, if the iP5 had had the same size I would have probably stayed with it, although I do like widgets and other things on Android.

I'm not confident enough in my abilities to flash/rom or whatever it's called so use stock, and TBH, I'm quite happy that way, I love Vanilla Android but also quite like Touchwiz.

I think it will, in the end boil down to the one which gives me the most money back. :)

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
I dont have the best eyesight in the world so preferred the larger screen on the S3, if the iP5 had had the same size I would have probably stayed with it, although I do like widgets and other things on Android.

I'm not confident enough in my abilities to flash/rom or whatever it's called so use stock, and TBH, I'm quite happy that way, I love Vanilla Android but also quite like Touchwiz.

I think it will, in the end boil down to the one which gives me the most money back. :)

At this point - my decision may end up being decided by which phone is obtainable when I actually have the money to purchase it...

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England

You might end up getting the S4 and selling them both! :p

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
I owned/used an N4 for about a month and while I haven't owned a S3, I'm presently using a Note 2 (IMO, essentially a big S3). If in your shoes, I'd probably go with the S3.

I really prefer the philosophy behind the Nexus line--vanilla Android with timely updates, but the terrible battery performance, subpar camera, and to a lesser extent, the buggy 4.2 update and the absence of LTE contributed to a less than satisfying experience with the N4. None of those concerns are an issue on my Note II and IMO, the benefits added by Touchwiz outweigh the cons. I prefer using NOVA launcher anyhow so my exposure to Touchwiz is limited and never laggy. And of course, you always have e option to flash another ROM.

The build materials and feel of the Nexus 4 are great--better than the Galaxy line in my opinion but there was too much working against it that couldn't be resolved with software changes.

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
I owned/used an N4 for about a month and while I haven't owned a S3, I'm presently using a Note 2 (IMO, essentially a big S3). If in your shoes, I'd probably go with the S3.

I really prefer the philosophy behind the Nexus line--vanilla Android with timely updates, but the terrible battery performance, subpar camera, and to a lesser extent, the buggy 4.2 update and the absence of LTE contributed to a less than satisfying experience with the N4. None of those concerns are an issue on my Note II and IMO, the benefits added by Touchwiz outweigh the cons. I prefer using NOVA launcher anyhow so my exposure to Touchwiz is limited and never laggy. And of course, you always have e option to flash another ROM.

The build materials and feel of the Nexus 4 are great--better than the Galaxy line in my opinion but there was too much working against it that couldn't be resolved with software changes.

I think what you say is quite correct, I do have a feeling that I fell lucky with my Nexus 4 though, battery life is really good for me (I'm not a power user) I haven't used it much over the weekend and today, but still got 21% battery left after charging 2 days 4 hours and 49seconds ago. (Screen on time is only 1 hr 34 min because of low activity over the weekend) Its been on all the time with wifi, bluetooth etc enabled. Not noticed any bugs on 4.2 but probably wouldn't notice anyway. If we had LTE it would be a changer I agree, but neither the S3 or Nexus 4 that I own have LTE, although one can purchase the LTE versions now in the UK. I agree definitely about the build quality. :)

surjavarman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 24, 2007
The pure vanilla experience is highly overrated. CM gives you the exact same experience.

If price is no objection then the S3 is hands down the better device. No question about it.

TheHateMachine

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2012
GS3

Access to LTE, Touchwiz adds some cool features, expandable storage and battery access. You can replace the touchwiz launcher with Holo HD if you want a stock android look or you can flash an AOSP rom if capable.

The Nexus 4 competes on price but when it is hard to get a hold of (Till mid Feb) and when you can get a GS3 similarly priced why lean towards the Nexus 4.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.