Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Maverick27

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 18, 2013
Hi - i'm a website designer, so the emphasis of my work is Top Notch Artwork & multitasking btwn heavy resource applications.

I want to invest in a Apple Laptop, can a Mackook Guru hlp me decide on which one ?

1. Do i go for Pro or AIR ?
2. 13 inch is ideal for my budget, since the bigger screens are more expensive.
3. As a current user of Windows, i use MS Excel heavily for programming & analysis for website maintenance.
Does Macbook have spreadsheet version to allow me to do just that ?
4. I'm currently using a 2GB RAM laptop & find it quite slow, especially when i'm switching btwn applns.
5. HD disk is not so important since i save all my work to an Ext. Hard disk.

Somebody pls help, which Macbook is suitable for me ?

Mave

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Microsoft has office for the Mac so you can do what you need to with that.

The MacBook Air is highly portable but its sacrificing some speed. I'd say go with the non retina 13" MBP as it gives you the ability to upgrade the ram and storage.

Smearbrick

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2013
Central PA
Sorry for being a nitpicky putz, but is any one else bothered by the term "laptop" when it is preceded by the word "Apple". Sorry, but I see my Macbook as something that transcends the standard "laptop" moniker. You may, of course, disagree.

NorCalLights

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2006
Sorry for being a nitpicky putz, but is any one else bothered by the term "laptop" when it is preceded by the word "Apple". Sorry, but I see my Macbook as something that transcends the standard "laptop" moniker. You may, of course, disagree.

No, not really.

fiddlestyx

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2009
Minnesota

Nope. A macbook is simply a laptop any way you put it.

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
I bounced back and forth when getting a Macbook Pro or Air for my daughter.

With the Pro you can upgrade the RAM and HD/ the Air you can't.

Now I got her the MBP 13 inch and we're taking it in today because the optical drive is making strange sounds now (I think she's used it twice since we had it, but she wanted an optical drive). I wanted to get her an Air because of no moving parts, but I would want to Max out the RAM (8GB) in it and I felt the 128 SSD wasn't big enough and my budget wouldn't let me get me a bigger SSD in the Air, so MBP it was.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
I recommend the 13' MBA (read: MacBook Air).

The 13" MBP doesn't offer a significant amount of performance increase. Plus, the SSD in the MBA increases overall system performance much more than the slightly faster processor of the 13" MBP. Of course, you can buy the MBP and upgrade to an SSD yourself. But that's added cost.

I have the base model 13" MBA and I'm running Mail, Safari (30+ tabs), VMware Fusion with CentOS 32-bit VM using 1GB memory, iTunes, iPhoto, Calendar, Skype, iMessage, Terminal (3-5 sessions), Skype and Notes all at once. I haven't noticed any system slowdown. I had a MBP before (2011 model) and the mechanical spinning hard drive slowed down things so much.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.