Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
No, I have a couple of 3.5 HDDs and a 2.5 HDD that are USB 2.0 and I want to swap them into 3.0 enclosures to get the transfer speed boost.

The reason I ask, is the only way to truly saturate USB 3.0 would be with SATA drives. For any mechanical drives, wouldn't just about any USB 3.0 enclosure (even one that isn't fully up to snuff) be faster than the drive you put in the enclosure? Just in case that wasn't clear, what I am saying is let's say you have a 3.0 enclosure that can't do full USB 3.0 speeds, the hard drive inside the enclosure can't even do HALF USB 3.0 speeds (they top out at 150MBs or 1200mbs) so whether they can do full USB 3.0 or not really doesn't matter unless you fill up the enclosure with an SATA drive....

Just my .02 worth.

FuriousGreg

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 11, 2011
I see, well I guess for my needs it doesn't make sense to bother. I'll just pick up 3.0 drives when I need more storage.

utekineir

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2008
I have a usb 3 seagate go flex base here and a usb 3 to sata adaptor from an intel 320 ssd.

Neither get much more than 150/180 with a kingston v300 (rated 450 ish r/w) grabbed cheap at staples the other day.

That would more than handle a platter drive, but clearly is bottlenecking the ssd.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.