Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheHateMachine

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2012
Should have executed him, in fact execute all criminals, solves population, tax issues, and makes for a safer place. Simple

You say that now, but what if you were at the wrong place/time and ended up wrongfully imprisoned for some menial crime and are up for execution. Will you sing the same tune then?

slrandall

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2011
That's not even cool.... seven years is a lot of time for burglary.... but at least he was caught.

wow, 7 years jail for that ? You'd have to murder someone in Belgium to get that much.

Seems like a long time.

Holy **** that's a harsh sentence! Recently this guy shot a 17 year old girl in Sweden, and he was only sentenced to 2.8 years in jail.

I know it's to different penal-systems, but still, the punishment doesn't really seem fit for the crime...

If I didn't know better, I'd say it's because it was Steve Jobs house.

Just about to say the same thing as I live in the Netherlands. And the worst thing is that it is no joke.

Armed robbery and shoot a police man, and you get about 7 years in Norway. A bit on the short side if you ask me, but on the other hand.

7 years for stealing a few consumer items... that's pretty insane.

That's a long time considering how small the penalties for violent crimes sometimes are.

This wasn't his first burglary, nor his first home invasion. 7 is years is a little light; he probably negotiated it down.

twigman08

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2012
I think people just need to realize here in the US (actually more than likely most other places also) that our system is not very consistent.

I think 7 years is fine. You don't deserve a slap on the wrist for breaking into someones house and taking that much stuff. It's more also because it wasn't just because he stole the products. It's more because he did break into someones house.

We get very inconsistent in our penalties when it comes to rapist and murders. That is because they can go the "insanity" route and get it more times than not (a fundamental flaw in our system).

Plus I'm willing to bet if he doesn't just act stupid that he'll be out in about 2-3 years based on good behavior. Not to mention he isn't missing much. It isn't like our jail system for these type of people is torture. Even the most criminal insane people get rights protected by the constitution. If it was up to me, if you break the US law and get sentenced to jail time you lose your rights as an American and privileges that every day Americans get. Though that is off topic and not grounds for this topic.

mushroomtip

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
You forget he'll get out in 2.5-3 yrs on good behavior only federal crimes do you actually serve the full sentence in California for everyday of good behavior he earns a day off his sentence.

don't forget he will most likely get time served as well ,that is if he 's been in jail since he got busted back in July

Morshu9001

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2012
the capital of Assyria
Why doesn't Apple help us track our stolen devices?

Neither Apple nor the cell companies help us find our stolen devices because they want us to buy more. Both of them could help find the stolen products pretty easily. And this also goes for other companies.

----------

Why should the penalty differ based on the wealth or fame of the victim?

I doubt Steve Jobs had anything to do with the 7 year sentence. This guy is a career burglar. As for the Michael Jackson case... really, the doctor wouldn't be held responsible if it was any regular person.

osaga

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2012
Norway shooter Anders Breivik was sentenced to 10-21 years for murdering 77 people.

Azurael

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2005
WOW, are you two serious?? A crime is a crime is a crime and the criminal in question didn't do this by accident, nor was he just a victim of circumstance. This was intent. Be honest about it, if someone broke into your home and just took a box of cereal you'd call the feds on him and want the book thrown at him for life because your home was violated and your personal belongings were exposed.

Sadly your responses are most likely due to the fact it was the home of the Almighty independently wealthy Steve Jobs who was the CEO of one of the biggest companies world wide so you probably feel the criminal only deserves a slap on the hand. :rolleyes:

Let's face it though. If it hadn't been such a high profile victim, I bet the bloke would have got away with a slap on the wrist. I don't think people are complaining about the sentence so much as the inequality of sentencing dependent upon the victim's fame and fortune.

Perhaps I'm wrong and things are taken a bit more seriously in the US but most of the time in the UK if a 'minor' theft is committed - even home invasion and it wasn't from somebody famous or a massive multinational, the police don't even bother to look into it. My dad's bag got nicked in a club a few months ago, and even though they had CCTV footage of the criminal's unobstructed face from his attempt to use a cash machine, they didn't have the resources to follow it up. So what the feck are we paying for in our taxes? Private security for multinationals and the rich and famous? A massive drugs 'war'? That's the issue.

Of course criminals should be locked up, but what's a criminal anyway? Somebody with a joint's worth of weed? A rapist? A murderer? Somebody who commits massive fraud and throws the whole world's economy into turmoil?

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
That's not even cool.... seven years is a lot of time for burglary.... but at least he was caught.

wow, 7 years jail for that ? You'd have to murder someone in Belgium to get that much.

Seems like a long time.

Did you read the article. It wasn't just Jobs home he stole from. He had over a half a million in stolen goods from various homes

THAT is why he got 7 years

----------

So does this mean Apple has the capability to track stolen Apple devices for customers, but just wont't?

Find my iPhone. Part of the free iCloud service for every device that is on iOS 5 or higher if not still earlier iOS versions.

Im sure Steve would have had it on for his devices, same for his wife. And the cell carriers are legally required to track devices and provide that data to the police with a warrant. If they suspected this guy could be connected to the mentioned string of robberies of course they would get said warrant etc. same thing they would do if you, commoner that you are, was a victim of a suspected serial offender. And you have the same find my access (even on your Mac with certain OS versions)

Apple is not the police which is who you need to go for help. If they say no, that's in them not Apple.

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011
sends the right message to other criminals. I think the punishment is about right.

I don't think criminals in general receive the message though. The cliche of the criminal mastermind seems to be a bit of a myth. Lots of them are incredibly stupid and never think of consequences, which is how they ended up where they are in the first place.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.