Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which is the Greatest iPhone Release to Date!

• iPhone 2007

Votes: 74 22.0%
  • iPhone 3G 2008

Votes: 10 3.0%
  • iPhone 3GS 2009

Votes: 11 3.3%
  • iPhone 4 2010

Votes: 161 47.9%
  • iPhone 4S 2011

Votes: 28 8.3%
  • iPhone 5 2012

Votes: 43 12.8%
  • The Greatest iPhone Moment Still has not Arrived!

Votes: 9 2.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
4 was my favorite, but I had to vote for the original!

----------

I've owned every single one since the 3G and all I have to say is that the best one ever made was the 4.

Except for excessive dropped calls that many of us experienced.

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
iPhone 4

1) Introduction of Retina display
2) Apple's first A4 chip to power an iPhone (512MB RAM and 32GB model for 1st time)
3) Significantly upgraded camera (5MP with LED flash + 720p video + FaceTime)
4) iOS 4 (Multitasking, Folders)
5) Became available on Verizon and Sprint
6) Last iPhone to be announced by Steve Jobs

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
iPhone 4 but i'm gonna go with the 4S because it was a refined version and still holds its own against the 5.

Myiphone7

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2010
I liked them all, never had the iPhone in 2007 started with the 3G and upgraded every year, but the iPhone 4 was my favorite

Had to be the iPhone 4.

People were blown away as was I. Front facing camera. Retina display. Beautiful glass finish. 5 mp camera. Flash.

Those were the days.

----------

iPhone 4

2) Apple's first A4 chip to power an iPhone (512MB RAM and 32GB model for 1st time)

I would have to agree with this. At the time it was like the heavens split and dropped us this phone.

----------

The original was hyped but bc of the price and Edge it wasn't very coveted.

apollo1444

macrumors 65816
Jul 22, 2011
mexico
iPhone 4 for me was the best release. That's why I'm still using it with no desire to upgrade at all. I have thoroughly used the iPhone 4s and 5, and I am not impressed after these 3 years. There were no major changes that interested me. Local VoiceControl without the need to use Siri is a big deal for me (only the iPhone 4 has it; although, you can put back with jailbreaking). Retina display is still great; have changed the battery for a brand new one two months ago, so I still have all day battery life - and the speed is more than decent for me even though it's jailbroken and FULL of fun stuff.

But the major drawback? I also found the sound quality from the iPhone 4 to actually be BETTER than the 4S and 5 - and it's a pretty common finding on hi-fi forums. It's something I couldn't believe when I tested all 3 out. But I guess the major reason why I'm not upgrading is the fact that I use my iPad 3 and Nexus 7 more than my iPhone. I use the phone for music, calls and messages. And music is about 85% of its use. So, upgrading will be kind of useless.

p.s. Some people in my family are very, VERY, happy; however, to be using my unused upgrades.
how can you return an iPhone 5 and keep the i4 is it because of the jailbreak stuff?

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
I have to say the iPhone 4 as well. I was pretty content with my iPhone 3G and pretty much ignored the 3GS but when I saw the iPhone 4 I was blown away and just felt like I had to have it.

nilk

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2007
I voted for the first-gen (2007), because it's all been incremental (but significant) changes since then. The first-gen showed what a mobile device could be, and nothing else was even comparable to it until then. Walking down the history in my experiences:

The announcement of the App Store was what convinced me to go ahead and get the first-gen iPhone. This was such an amazing device, even with it's shortcomings and missing features. I actually like the look of this one the best.

The 3G was minor upgrade, basically the same hardware just adding the missing 3G and GPS and adding video in the software (and better camera I think); I ended up getting it because I wanted to pass my 2007 down to my T-Mobile-using girlfriend (now wife), otherwise I would've waited.

I got the 3GS next and that was a very significant upgrade even though no cosmetic changes -- the additional processing power and RAM enabled a whole new level of performance. I think this is the most underrated upgrade; people saw it looking like the 3G and didn't think it's worth it. But the performance increase completely changed the usability of the device for me. I was able to use it in ways I couldn't use previous iPhones.

The iPhone 4 came out with the retina display. The retina display was a very obvious and expected upgrade, considering that other devices already had higher res displays (or maybe I only say that because of the leak?). Still, it was very important and greatly improved the iPhone experience, and kudos to Apple for how they transitioned to it. I saw the glass back and thought "what was Apple thinking?" and I still think that it was a bad choice. Front-facing camera was badly needed at this point, as was the flash. I skipped this upgrade.

The 4S is an improved version of the iPhone 4. I got this upgrade. The camera was quite a step forward (maybe I only say that because I skipped the 4). This device is orders of magnitudes more useful to me than any of the previous iPhones I owned. My use of my iPhone is now firmly integrated into my life. As an aside: I think iOS 5 was the best iOS release, which coincided with the release of 4S.

The 5 improved just about every aspect of the device, except for the rear camera (which is just a thinner version of the 4S camera). But even so, the only really significant changes that people take notice of is the bigger screen. I think this is the first time there are no iOS features that are exclusive to a new iPhone during launch. I am perfectly ok with skipping this one for the next iPhone (I'm not due for an upgrade anyway).

Last edited:

JetBlack7

macrumors 68030
May 14, 2011
Portugal
Except for excessive dropped calls that many of us experienced.

Never had such issues, so not a problem IMO.

iPhone 4

+1

mdlooker

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2011
US
I think the best was the original and the latest, as they come out will be second place.

I agree that the original opened the floodgates to innovation but the later models built upon their predecessor which made/makes them a better phone.

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
Have to say iPhone 4. The reason simple, the hardware was something new & different.

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
For me it's split between the 3GS and the 4S.

I choose the 3GS's longevity is pretty much unrivaled in the smartphone world. How many smartphones from 2009 are still useable in 2013 and running current software? Not many aside from a select few android phones still getting ROMs ported to them. But the 3GS keeps on trucking and that still amazes me.

I chose the 4S because it improves upon the 4. The 4 was essentially a 3GS in a new shell with a better screen. The 4S took what made the 4 great (the design) and put some decent specs under the hood (Dual Core CPU and a very solid GPU).

hamiltonDSi

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
Romania
iPhone & iPhone 4.

----------

The 4 was essentially a 3GS in a new shell with a better screen

The 4 had a brand new iSight Camera + 720p Video + LED Flash, FaceTime Camera + Video Calling, Noise Cancelling, Faster 3G, A4 Chip and many more.
It was a new phone, not a 3GS with a better screen in a new shell.
Oh, man...

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
From the perspective of the most powerful, and best as far as specs go the 5. But for innovation it has to be the first since it was quite a ways above anything else out there at the time.

big samm

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
I also have to go with the iphone 4!! Glass back with retina display, at the time this was too awesome!!

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
iPhone & iPhone 4.

----------

The 4 had a brand new iSight Camera + 720p Video + LED Flash, FaceTime Camera + Video Calling, Noise Cancelling, Faster 3G, A4 Chip and many more.
It was a new phone, not a 3GS with a better screen in a new shell.
Oh, man...

Im talking under the hood. Same CPU just 200mhz faster. Same GPU. A4 is nothing but a term created by apple so they don't have to say 800mhz Cortex A8 with powergx3643257 GPU.

hamiltonDSi

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
Romania
Im talking under the hood. Same CPU just 200mhz faster. Same GPU. A4 is nothing but a term created by apple so they don't have to say 800mhz Cortex A8 with powergx3643257 GPU.

It isn't the same CPU & GPU.
A4 has better power management, better ISP and so on. And 200Mhz is much on a mobile phone.
As for the GPU, it's much better in the iPhone 4 because it has to power that insane resolution. Yep, insane, in 2010 960x640 on a 3.5" display was huge.

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area
Personally I go by how "excited" I felt with the whole package. And without doubt, the original iPhone blew me away. And I think that's the same for most people even if they voted for another model. Half the reason we see these crazy rumors and predictions for the upcoming model, and then feel let down when apple doesn't "come through" is because everyone expects apple to deliver the same "shock" value as they did in 07.

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
It isn't the same CPU & GPU.
A4 has better power management, better ISP and so on. And 200Mhz is much on a mobile phone.
As for the GPU, it's much better in the iPhone 4 because it has to power that insane resolution. Yep, insane, in 2010 960x640 on a 3.5" display was huge.

Say what you want but it's obvious you don't have a clue what you're taking about. Believe what you want. I'm out

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.