Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

phillipduran

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2008
PTSD, really?!?! as in war PTSD?

PTSD is PTSD. You probably have only heard much about PTSD from cases involving soldiers returning from war. PTSD happens after a traumatic experience, no matter what the cause, war or otherwise.

It's so often talked about in regards to soldiers that I think some people think it is a condition exclusive to war.

theBB

macrumors 68020
Jan 3, 2006
I think our prison system needs to be reinvented, you are right. Nowadays it seems like staying, i don't want to say at a hotel, but maybe at a college dorm. They stay in clean well lit well heated prison cells, with meals, some work, and just endless hours of pumping steel at the gym.
What kind of college dorm consists of a basketball court filled with hundreds of people, some quite violent, sleeping in closely packed three level bunk beds? Where do you get your impressions about what a prison looks like?

macquariumguy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2002
Sarasota FL
What kind of college dorm consists of a basketball court filled with hundreds of people, some quite violent, sleeping in closely packed three level bunk beds? Where do you get your impressions about what a prison looks like?

No kidding. Then there are the sadistic guards, terrible food, and as a convicted felon his life isn't exactly going to be roses once he's released.

That said, there's nothing lower than a thief. 7 years sounds good to me.

Lennholm

macrumors 65816
Sep 4, 2010
Neither Apple nor the cell companies help us find our stolen devices because they want us to buy more. Both of them could help find the stolen products pretty easily. And this also goes for other companies.

Not exactly, is the AppleCare advisor just going to trust that the person calling in and want's help finding "his" Macbook is actually the real owner? It could be someone trying to use them to find the whereabouts of a person in a witness protection program or something like that.
That's why Apple never helps customers with stolen products and instead refers them to the police and only track the item if the police warrants them to.

Oh wow, that is an incredibly obtuse comment.

It's entirely possible that you'll never sleep through the night again. Imagine having waking nightmares, every night, that are vividly real where you wake to see someone standing over you, but you are paralyzed. You can't move or scream. You hear your children screaming, being murdered by another intruder in the next room.

You wake up in a cold sweat with your heart pounding desperately trying to prove you're *really* awake now and that it was just a dream, and that everyone is OK.

Every night. Try it.

But you're a tough guy, aren't you? Real tough guy. None of that being "traumatized" stuff for you.

Just saying that comparing being traumatized with being murdered is ridiculous, because it is.

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
wow, 7 years jail for that ? You'd have to murder someone in Belgium to get that much.

If it were yours or my home, he wouldn't have gotten seven years, plain and simple. It's just another example of how laws in this country apply differently to different groups of people. And believe me, some locales around here would get you 5-7 years for murder while in others you'd get life or even the death penalty, depending on whom you are, whom you killed (largely social status) and whether the news made a big deal out of it. Never mind the lawyers trying to win no matter what rather than find the truth/justice. Inequality of justice knows no bounds, it seems.

Meanwhile, you've got people here talking about the death penalty for stealing a used Mac (shakes head). Sometimes I think the education system has truly failed America along with all the parents and theocratic organizations that fail to instill true values like justice that is still weighed with compassion and mercy. Treating others like you'd want to be treated is probably the least considered, yet most deserving wisdom on the planet.

MrDc2

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2013
Holy **** that's a harsh sentence! Recently this guy shot a 17 year old girl in Sweden, and he was only sentenced to 2.8 years in jail.

I know it's to different penal-systems, but still, the punishment doesn't really seem fit for the crime...

If I didn't know better, I'd say it's because it was Steve Jobs house.

Was the girl killed? Was it an accident? Was she shot in the leg or what? 2.8 years for shooting someone sounds a bit lax. I'm not trying to be pointed in my questions... I am genuinely curious

mslide

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2007
Wow. I'm glad to see him behind bars and all but that's way too long just for burglary.

I wonder how long the sentence would have been if the guy robbed some random person's house (i.e. like my house).

MrDc2

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2013
In South Africa you get 6 months for murder (as long as the victim is a white farmer) and you will probably get 7 years for tax evasion.

Here there is no jail sentence for theft as long as you blame apartheid.

Should blame the lack of Apartheid for all the crime in SA.

Bubba Satori

Suspended
Feb 15, 2008
B'ham
Sadly in America, the worst crime is Tax Invasion.
One agency of the gov you don't want to mess with is the IRS.

original

Lennholm

macrumors 65816
Sep 4, 2010
Was the girl killed? Was it an accident? Was she shot in the leg or what? 2.8 years for shooting someone sounds a bit lax. I'm not trying to be pointed in my questions... I am genuinely curious

Shot in the face at close distance. Somehow the defense managed to convince the jury that he didn't have intent to kill.

MrDc2

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2013
You forget he'll get out in 2.5-3 yrs on good behavior only federal crimes do you actually serve the full sentence in California for everyday of good behavior he earns a day off his sentence.

Yeah Cali is one of those 10% states. The prisons are too crowded. ( lol )

----------

Shot in the face at close distance. Somehow the defense managed to convince the jury that he didn't have intent to kill.

Holy....****.

dona83

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2004
Kelowna, BC
7 years... criminals convicted of manslaughter in Canada sometimes don't get that. Stark comparison, too much justice vs. too little justice.

pacalis

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2011
If they really wanted to punish him they should have made him a juror in Apple's next patent infringement case.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
Unfortunately in Am'rica, his viewpoint is shared more widely that we'd like to think. This country IS going to hell
I think it's the opposite. Far more people are against the death penalty than for it, and the actual laws and number of executions reflect that. Maybe you've been listening to Texas news.....

MrDc2

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2013
[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

IDG News Service reports that Kariem McFarlin, the burglar who stole $60,000 worth of Apple products and other items from the home of Steve Jobs' family last July, has been sentenced to seven years in prison. McFarlin entered the home while it was undergoing renovation and stole two iMacs, three iPads, three iPods, an Apple TV, jewelry, and other items.
Renovation work on the Jobs family home in July 2012 (Source: Forbes)
Immediately following the burglary, officials indicated that it appeared to be a random crime of opportunity due to the renovation going on at the house, with McFarlin having been unaware that he was targeting the home of Steve Jobs' family. At the time of his arrest, McFarlin still had a number of the stolen items in his possession, while others had been distributed to friends, including an iPad that made its way into the hands of a local clown.

Article Link: Burglar of Jobs Family's Home Sentenced to Seven Years in Prison

Story credit..?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.