Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Shipping estimates for new orders of 21.5-inch iMac models began slipping in Apple's online stores in many European countries such as the United Kingdom today, moving from 7-10 business days to 2-3 weeks. The changes have not yet propagated to stores for other regions.

imac_21_2012_2_3_weeks.jpg
Estimates for the 21.5-inch models had remained steady at 7-10 business days since just after they became available for sale late last year. Apple has also been quoting even longer estimates for the 27-inch models, which are reportedly seeing more significant issues with display production due to a new lamination process. Estimates for new 27-inch iMac orders remain at 3-4 weeks for the time being, essentially in line with their status since just after pre-orders went live.

(Thanks, Neil!)

Article Link: Shipping Estimates for 21.5-Inch iMac Begin Slipping to 2-3 Weeks

inlinevolvo

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2012
Finally got to see these at the apple store recently and the first thing I noticed was how awful the display looked compared to my retina mbp. Would have loved to see an upgrade here, but I realize doubling the pixels on the 27 inch model will be no easy feat, let alone the hardware needed to drive it.

Codyak

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2012
DC
Finally got to see these at the apple store recently and the first thing I noticed was how awful the display looked compared to my retina mbp. Would have loved to see an upgrade here, but I realize doubling the pixels on the 27 inch model will be no easy feat, let alone the hardware needed to drive it.

I noticed the same as well. I was in there to get a motherboard replaced for my rMBP and I played around with the 21 inch and I couldn't believe how bad it looked.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Still order them guys, it's worth the wait!

Using my special iMac now. After spending the day on my crappy PC at work, it's nice to come home to a good looking, easy to use, quick silent machine.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
Nope, it's just Cook's terrible mistake in accepting a position he was never ready for - it's as if Apple has no COO right now.
Given that you clearly have a lot more knowledge on who's a good choice to run Apple, who would you have running it right now?

The way I see it, Tim was the only logical choice. He'd already run the company for a short stint in 2004, then from pretty much 2009 onwards.

It's way too early to decide if he's a good candidate as Apple is well known for having a long roadmap. However even since he took the position on, he's reinstated charitable giving programs, got rid of the bad eggs (namely Forstall), got the right group of staff into the right roles (e.g putting Ive in charge of Human Interface) and made a commitment to bringing production back to Apples home country.

None of these things would have happened under Steve. That much we know from the history of the company.

Sure, he's made some pretty glaring mistakes (e.g hiring Browlett) however some of the perceived mistakes cant really be attributed to him. Maps for example - that wasn't something that would have been decided shortly before it was released, Apple would have been working on that for a good few years, and whilst that doesn't excuse it being released in a half-assed state, he made right by ditching the people in charge of getting Maps to market, and putting someone in charge who had a good track record of getting the job done.

He could turn out to be the worse CEO ever. But we wont know yet - give it at least 2 years.

----------

Once you go retina, you wont go back :p

I've had my rMBP sitting next to 2 standard monitors...I ordered a new monitor arm last week so I can move one of the monitors over to the side and use the rMPB screen as my main one - its just so friggin' beautiful! :D

Other than screen size though, there's really no purpose for the iMac anymore. I've always been a desktop guy but to be honest, having moved from a Mac Pro to the rMBP it's just so much more convenient.

Mike MA

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2012
Germany
I think in this particularly case Apple made a mistake with the early presentation last year.

I mean, in contrary to the long waiting times for iOS devices which are mostly caused by their great popularity, the issue this time clearly is some kind of mismanagement. If a supplier isn't able to provide enough quality AND quantity, you have to wait until he can deal with it or change horses!

Besides, I still think the latest iMac is some great device!

lolkthxbai

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2011
I think most of the people that are not too impressed by the new iMac might just be a combination of expecting a retina display and/or being so used to retina displays on their iPhone, iPad and most recently the rMPB

mikeorchard

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2013
But Apple's estimates are never accurate.

I ordered my top end 21.5" with Fusion on the 11th January and I had it by the 16th, when they had estimated 23rd-28th January.

----------

Other than screen size though, there's really no purpose for the iMac anymore. I've always been a desktop guy but to be honest, having moved from a Mac Pro to the rMBP it's just so much more convenient.

Apart from the £525 price difference, sure thing bro.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
But Apple's estimates are never accurate.

I ordered my top end 21.5" with Fusion on the 11th January and I had it by the 16th, when they had estimated 23rd-28th January.

----------

Apart from the £525 price difference, sure thing bro.

If the price is the problem there's always the Air. Bro... ;)

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
2-3 weeks is nothing. I've been waiting almost 8 week for my 27" I ordered Dec 1st!!!!

Go Apple :sarcastic_yay:

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
It's the snow!

Or maybe people are actually buying iMacs in unexpected volumes? Do we remember when all the Stupids (about 1 year ago) predicted that Apple was ready to kill off the iMac line because the refresh was long overdue?

So it went from.... "iMacs are a dead product line" TO "Apple can't make iMacs fast enough to meet demand". :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.