Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

puma1552

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 20, 2008
Seems like every thread in here these days even months after release is someone creaming over how great the mini is and how much the retina iPad is just a horrendous brick of a device.

The mini blows. Crap screen, processor that's already a generation behind, cheap screen printed Apple logo on the back, and the black model comes with the cheap, looks-unfinished-like-primer black anodization.

Here's to the retina iPad, with full power, a beautiful screen, much more workable screen real estate, a nice size, easy to hold, etc. etc. etc. Appreciate your full size iPad here.:apple:

richardmu

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2007
Bristol, UK
iPad 2 rules! Every full sized iPad after the 2 felt like a brick.

I know the 3 and 4 are only a few grams heavier and a few mms thicker than the 2 but they made a noticeable difference.

I tried both but returned them and will stick to my 2 until the next gen which will no doubt be thinner and lighter.

I also tried the mini for a week but it seemed a bit of a flimsy expensive toy!

bevsb2

Contributor
Nov 23, 2012
Hooray for the iPad 4! I love the full size screen, the retina display and the speed. Let's not attack the mini however. The form factor makes it great for travel and for many the screen is no problem. When it eventually gets retina I'll probably get one too.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
I've owned every iPad since the original. Currently I'm using an iPad 4, & a mini. They are both great tablets that are just different enough to be keepers.

Each stands on its own as excellent at what it does best. For me the two are must haves.

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
Seems like every thread in here these days even months after release is someone creaming over how great the mini is and how much the retina iPad is just a horrendous brick of a device.

The mini blows. Crap screen, processor that's already a generation behind, cheap screen printed Apple logo on the back, and the black model comes with the cheap, looks-unfinished-like-primer black anodization.

Here's to the retina iPad, with full power, a beautiful screen, much more workable screen real estate, a nice size, easy to hold, etc. etc. etc. Appreciate your full size iPad here.:apple:

Horrendous brick? It's thinner and lighter than the full sized iPad yet you say the mini is a brick...

It's obvious you've never used a mini or held one. The demand for the mini is actually higher than the full sized model.

flight

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2010
I think I would prefer the mini, but I like to use my iPad to be "productive" (if you can call making toilet humor cartoons productive) and the extra screen real estate is really helpful. I'll be sticking with the 9.7" iPad for the forseeable future.

Triangle Man

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2012
The full size iPad has no more screen real-estate than the iPad mini. They both have the same size UI. The iPad mini has the same exact number of pixels as the iPad 2 and even though the iPad 4 retina has quadruple the number of pixels, it comes out to be the same size UI as the iPad 2... it's just higher resolution.

In other words, all the iPads have the same amount of screen real estate. Look at a web page on the iPad mini and you'll see the same amount of content per-page as the iPad 2 and 4.

Last edited:

flight

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2010
The full size iPad has no more screen real-estate than the iPad mini. They both have the same size UI. The iPad mini has the same exact number of pixels as the iPad 2 and even though the iPad 4 retina has quadruple the number of pixels, it comes out to be the same size UI as the iPad 2... it's just higher resolution.

In other words, all the iPads have the same amount of screen real estate. Look at a web page on the iPad mini and you'll see the same amount of content per-page as the iPad 2 and 4.

I meant physical real estate. The larger touch targets are important to what I do on the iPad.

Stack Overflow

macrumors member
Dec 18, 2012

"Hey, there are too many threads where people say they hate the thing I like, so I'll make a thread where I hate the they they like and everything will be better!"

The mini blows.

Whatever. They're both awesome.

SeanR1

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2009
Pennsylvania
Just wait until next year when they are all crying their mini isn't supported anymore or can't run things well with 512 mb RAM.

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2010
Terra

I like my iPad very much, but I dislike misinformation. The screen is by no means crap,though it isn't a retina display, and the Apple logo isn't screen printed.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I have both the iPad 3 and the mini. I do prefer the 3, with its crisp retina screen and larger screen that makes things easier to see and manipulate. But I like the way the back of the mini looks and feels, and hope that iPad 5 gets that same back. The processing power and speed of the mini is serviceable, but also notably slower than the 3. All in all, the mini is ok for when I go out and want something light and compact that is easy to carry and use in crowded spaces, but the retina iPads are superior, and even the iPad 2 is easier to use because of the larger screen. I'm glad I can afford to keep both, but if I had to keep just one I'd definitely keep one of the 9.7 inch models.

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
Horrendous brick? It's thinner and lighter than the full sized iPad yet you say the mini is a brick...

It's obvious you've never used a mini or held one. The demand for the mini is actually higher than the full sized model.

Read carefully. OP is refering to regular ipad as people are saying that they are like horrendous brick, not talking about mini at all. This is why this thread is for those who own and love the fullsized.

U from States, no. Should be better at reading this than me.

RevTEG

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2012
San Jose, Ca
I have an ipad 3 and a full spec LTE mini. The mini is cool but I prefer my full size way better. As a teacher I use my ipad for my sermons and Bible study. The full size is easier for me to see when I step away from the podium. But the mini is really nice reading ibooks. But I'm not carrying two iPads on the road. So it's the ipad 3 that goes.

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
Read carefully. OP is refering to regular ipad as people are saying that they are like horrendous brick, not talking about mini at all. This is why this thread is for those who own and love the fullsized.

U from States, no. Should be better at reading this than me.

I read too quickly, has nothing to do with the fact that i'm from the States.

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
I bought an iPad 3 some months ago, basically for reading books. I like the size and ability to make the text big enough for me to read with my 60+ YO eyes. I use it for mail and web when traveling, where my MBP would be heavier. I still use iPad3, 13" MBP, iPhone 4S, and an iMac all back and forth. I looked at an iPad mini, but felt that by the time the text was big enough I'd spend too much time flipping pages.

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
Forgot to share my own praise of the fullsized.

I love my Ipad 2, have to be on it all the time when im home and i prefer to have it at home so that i can focus fully at my work during the day.

Those with mini and happily taking it everywhere, how are you suppose to be focus on whats more important like works, relationships and stuff. I already see couples each holding a smartphone sitting across each other at a restaurant and do not share a single word. With Ipad mini portability, can you imagine people actually talking to someone across the table as much or they would prefer to talk to the person on the other side of that social network apps they are using.

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011
Forgot to share my own praise of the fullsized.

I love my Ipad 2, have to be on it all the time when im home and i prefer to have it at home so that i can focus fully at my work during the day.

Those with mini and happily taking it everywhere, how are you suppose to be focus on whats more important like works, relationships and stuff. I already see couples each holding a smartphone sitting across each other at a restaurant and do not share a single word. With Ipad mini portability, can you imagine people actually talking to someone across the table as much or they would prefer to talk to the person on the other side of that social network apps they are using.

I agree. The full size iPad is much better, because you can prop it up to create a higher wall between you and the other person. I often read at dinner, so I can definitely appreciate this feature.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.