Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TSE

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
I don't have a laptop and always wanted an iPad but figured I would let it mature before I bought one.

I have a question though. Is there a way to run Microsoft office through a web browser or app? And is there a way to run an old windows 98 game an an iPad? I know programs such as onlive exist but do they let you run any game you install?

Thanks!

Gotoma

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2012
If you have a decent Internet connexion then just use team viewer to access your home computer from your iPad.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
thanks for the info duke.... Is there any way to run a windows 98 game on iPad currently?

If you want a tablet that runs Windows desktop programs, then perhaps you should look into Windows 8 (full Win8, not RT).

TWO2SEVEN

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2010
Plano, TX
I lot of games are being or have been remade for the iPad. Might be worth it to check out the app store for any games you are wanting to play.

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
The free CloudOn App will give you the free Windows Office applications for your iPad that you are looking for. I've found the connectivity to be a little less than desirable, meaning that the connection to the cloudon server times out too often for any real use.

I prefer to use Pages, Numbers, Keynote.

Giuly

macrumors 68040
What's wrong with iWork for iOS?
uHXzNe6.jpg

Just get a keyboard case, and you should forget about Office within 5 minutes.

ZZ Bottom

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2010
Ugh! I don't want Windows on my laptop, I'd certainly not want it on my iPad.

OP didn't ask for Windows on the iPad...

---

To the OP, if and when we finally get a jailbreak there are a number of options. I have the iDos app (was temporarily available on app store) which I have added several old Windows games in and have run successfully. What games are you specifically looking to play? Perhaps I can locate a copy and test for you.

As for Office, I do concur with others that Pages offers a capable alternative and is compatible with Word documents. If you are looking for a no-compromise full Office experience, your best bet is to use OnLive or setup your own PC with Office on it for RDP. I've used LogMeIn Ignition and iTeleport remotely for this type of stuff. And if you're within the same wifi network as your PC then Splashtop 2 is by far the slickest and best performing app for controlling your Mac/PC.

guitarmandp

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2012
If you get something like splashtop you will be able to use your windows computer on your iPad and run office.

ScottNWDW

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2008
Orlando, Florida
Another vote for the iWork suite. I've been using Numbers and Pages instead of Excel and Word and it's nice to have them automagically sync across all my devices. (iPad, iPad mini, iPhone, MacBook). The more I use them the less I think about using Excel and Word.

TSE

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
OP didn't ask for Windows on the iPad...

---

To the OP, if and when we finally get a jailbreak there are a number of options. I have the iDos app (was temporarily available on app store) which I have added several old Windows games in and have run successfully. What games are you specifically looking to play? Perhaps I can locate a copy and test for you.

As for Office, I do concur with others that Pages offers a capable alternative and is compatible with Word documents. If you are looking for a no-compromise full Office experience, your best bet is to use OnLive or setup your own PC with Office on it for RDP. I've used LogMeIn Ignition and iTeleport remotely for this type of stuff. And if you're within the same wifi network as your PC then Splashtop 2 is by far the slickest and best performing app for controlling your Mac/PC.

Age of empires 2.... Specifically... If it's quick enough to play with a mouse

ZZ Bottom

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2010
I haven't downloaded the files for AoE 2 to test because I've read on a couple threads regarding iDos and Dospad and they seem to struggle with games that new. Some claim Warcraft 2 works and others not so much.

I think ultimately the lack of mouse would make AoE 2 on iPad more frustrating then fun. There are on the other hand many games from that era that rely much more on keyboard only.

Honestly if you are really looking for a touchscreen + tablet form device, but absolutely want to run legacy games then your best off with a Windows 8 tablet like the Samsung ATIV Smart PC or Lenovo Tablet 2. These run atom processors which exceed the expectations of legacy software and MS Office, also offering long battery life, fanless cooling, and thin/light form. Having tested some of these devices I still opted for an iPad knowing what I would miss out on, so I wouldn't blame you for doing the same. But don't fool yourself that the iPad will fulfill all your expectations. It simply won't.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.