Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eperrine

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 17, 2011
Recently purchased a second hand MBP. Followed re install instructions from online, wiped HD and attempted to re-install Mountain OSX. I have tried re-installing it twice, and both times a box popped up near the end saying "FAIL TO DOWNLOAD".

I noticed both times that near the beginning, the loading bar went from showing me its progression to being full and blue, looked like a bug.

Also note that my WiFi router or home wiring is dodgy and cuts out every ten minutes - could this be the issue?

What can I do? Could I take it to the Apple Store and give it to them? Will it cost me money?

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Try to connect it directly to the router with a short ethernet cable and try again.

Or, you might have Family/Friends with a better connection so you could try there.

eperrine

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 17, 2011
Try to connect it directly to the router with a short ethernet cable and try again.

Or, you might have Family/Friends with a better connection so you could try there.

Ok thanks, do you think that would solve the issue? Even if I plug an ethernet cable to my router, won't it still cut out because it may be the router still disconnecting?

----------

Ok thanks, do you think that would solve the issue? Even if I plug an ethernet cable to my router, won't it still cut out because it may be the router still disconnecting?

If not, last resort is to head to the city and use the Apple Store's wifi.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.

----------

If not, last resort is to head to the city and use the Apple Store's wifi.

Hard to say, if the router is reconnecting to the provider then it won't make much of a difference, maybe you should think about a reliable provider or a new router:).

If the Apple store has a good wifi network then I know for sure they will allow it to do it yourself, just ask, they won't mind.

xlii

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2006
Millis, Massachusetts
As someone suggested try bypassing wifi and plugging into the ethernet coming out of your router.

I don't know your setup but if you have this --> wall coax --> cable modem --> router --> wifi

and plugging into the ethernet coming out of the router is a no go... disconnect the router from the cable modem and plug your computer using ethernet directly into the cable modem.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
... disconnect the router from the cable modem and plug your computer using ethernet directly into the cable modem.

Just to add to this.... you will probably need to reboot the cable modem once you connect the ethernet cable directly to the Macbook for it to recognized by the cable modem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.