Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I agree with you whole-heartedly; my point was: if you're going to primarily use it on a desk, professionally, why wouldn't you invest in a more capable device?

I don't think anyone in this thread was suggesting using the iPad primarily on a desk, just pointing out that you don't necessarily need to hold it up in your hand all the time. I agree that for uses involving mostly typing at a desk, the Air is likely the better choice, but light usage, like for instance taking notes and referencing material during meetings, the iPad could work just fine and might be better due to being easier to discreetly whip out at a moment's notice.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I never quite understood the need for what always feels like validation. It is no secret that the form factor of the mini is fantastic. Having a similar form factor Kindle makes reading so much better than on my iPad 3 (not to mention e-ink). Even so, it seems obvious that if you carry something around that is 7" for a few months then picking up something that is 10" and heavier will feel like night and day. No one should ever be surprised. ;)

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011

Perfect vision. In fact, perhaps too good, because I can see the pixelation and blurriness of the characters from quite a distance away from the device. This is something I have complained about since the iPad 1, and it wasn't until the Retina screens started coming out for the iPhone and iPod that I finally felt like we had a sharp screen. The iPad 3 was such a huge relief for me. Looking at the iPad Mini, especially when viewing Chinese characters, is an unpleasant experience.

But, that is just me, of course. Others swear they cannot tell the difference, so get whatever works for you :)

S

syd430

The only real advantage I can see over the ipad 4 is one-handed use for an extended period of time. The iphone 5 or most other smartphones do a much better job at this use case as this is how they were designed to be used all the time. You can make the argument that one is a tablet and one is a smartphone, but in reality, if you're holding your Mini with one hand, you are really limited to using it like a big smartphone.

I guess many people here use it primarily as a one-handed consumption device (causal browsing, tv shows, ebooks), but I can just turn to my iphone for this use case while enjoying all the advantages that full-sized ipad 4 offers in every other scenario.

Last edited by a moderator:

Maverick713

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2009
Houston, TX
Don't hold it in your hands. Lay the iPad down on a big conference table, and start browsing PDF files and replying emails in a meeting. You'll like the full size screen a lot more.

Thats the thing, I don't need to lay it down, I can hold it and type as I would with a text message, which I do as well with my mini, thank you imessage. If i need to I can put it in landscape mode and type that way as well, and I have large hands so its not like I'm a child.

----------

The only real advantage I can see over the ipad 4 is one-handed use for an extended period of time. The iphone 5 or most other smartphones do a much better job at this particular use-case as this is how they were designed to be used all the time. You can make the argument that one is a tablet and one is a smartphone, but in reality, if you're holding your Mini with one hand, you are really limited to using it like a big smartphone.

I guess many people here use it primarily as a one-handed consumption device (causal browsing, tv shows, ebooks), but I can just turn to my iphone for this use-case while enjoying all the advantages that full-sized ipad 4 offers in every other scenario.

give me a list of scenarios.

S

syd430

give me a list of scenarios.

Every other scenario other than extended one-handed use.

To be clear, I'm not saying that the ipad 4 can do something that the Mini can't, just that it will do it better. The only place where the mini excels over the ipad 4 is one handed use. Isn't it common sense?

Last edited by a moderator:

Brimah

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2012
I like the idea of the mini, but the full size works a lot better with my children personally. Also, I never have a weight or holding issue with a fullsize iPad, and never travel with it. The mini just fits another nitch and glad some are happy with it.

elmz

macrumors regular
Apr 22, 2008
Apple makes both products to fit different needs. Comparing the two is fine but saying one is better than the other is pointless.

EDIT: Not targeted at the OP.

danpass

macrumors 68030
Jun 27, 2009
Glory
I never got attached to the iPad 1 or 3

But the Mini ... yes :D

Better screen than the 1 but not as good as the 3.

Would I sacrifice thinness and battery life? Fortunately the Mini screen is good enough to say 'No'

Powrie

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2012
Ok so the new IGZO screen will still be "Retina".

And they will be better then the Previous Versions of Retina Displays.

What we are looking forward to is probably an IGZO iPad mini.

Because it will be even lighter then if they used older tech.

token787

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2012
Ipad mini is cute but my full size Ipad is gorgeous. Can't seem to go to the mini.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
I must admit, the Mini has a very nice design with the slim bezel, but I'm not at all a fan of its dated hardware and the screen. The Mini is great for gaming and moderate web browsing I'll give it that.

Will he great to see what the next Mini brings though, if it gets a Retina Display it will look superb, but I prefer a larger display.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.