Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
Google sale of goods act.

Uh, no disrespect honestly but there's an awful lot to read. Since you're the one quoting UK consumer law it would be better for you to copy and paste the part that you're quoting rather than telling us to go look for ourselves, after all you came here for our help.

philmed1008

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 20, 2013
Uh, no disrespect honestly but there's an awful lot to read. Since you're the one quoting UK consumer law it would be better for you to copy and paste the part that you're quoting rather than telling us to go look for ourselves, after all you came here for our help.

Sorry. Here is a link to summary of the law

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rig...erstanding-the-sale-of-goods-act/your-rights/

Below is important bit, paragraph 2 is the key bit here.

"If your claim under the Sale of Goods Act ends up in court, you may have to prove that the fault was present when you bought the item and not, for example, something which was the result of normal wear and tear.

If your claim is about a problem that arises within six months of buying the product, it's up to the retailer to prove that the goods were of satisfactory quality, fit for purpose, or as described when it sold them.

For example, by showing that the problem was caused by an external factor such as accidental damage. "

I know this was not an accident so I am hopeful. Also spoke to applecare today. Very good conversation. They have had products where tempered glass has cracked because of an imperfection when there are changes in temperature and if they find no evidence of other damage like dents to the casing then they will replace free of charge.

So I will go to the Apple store tomorrow first before going to the vendor. Feel much better now. :)

----------

You seem to be ignoring any advice that goes against what you want to hear, but don't be complacent. Take note of the negative advice - it may actually help you.

Not really, I understand that it may look like accidental damage but I know with 99.9% certainty it wasn't. The 0.1% could be if I slept walked, threw a small solid ball at the glass that just cracked the glass into a wedge leaving no traces of damage elsewhere. I am going to go to Apple and tell them the truth. My motivation posting here was to get advice of which I have had plenty and to hopefully help others who may encounter similar. I have discovered that glass can crack without impact, so it is not beyond the realms of possibility that this occurrd here. Apple have acknowledged this on the phone and told me to quote the call in store tomorrow to assist the genius who deals with it.

AT06

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2012
Winwick, UK
While I definitely hope and feel that Apple will take care of you, that UK law doesn't make a lick of sense. Unless a company cuts open the packaging for every product they sell to a customer there's no way to prove that something wasn't damaged at time of purchase. That's a stupid law against private and public busineses. If that's the case then the customer should be required to sign a waiver saying they assume all responsibility unless the package is opened in front of them, that includes products that are delivered to them.

On top of that, if a customer doesn't have to prove they damaged something then that means that a customer can damage a product by accident or on purpose and companies would be required to exchange the product regardless if the customer was negligent. That's stupid. I'd like to see that UK law in writing.

It's not a stupid law. It's a law that protects consumers, and any law that does that is generally a good one. They also must reimburse any travel costs, within reason, that you incurred which can be very useful.

At the end of the day though, Apple is the type of business that 95% of the time handles these cases very well.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
It's not a stupid law. It's a law that protects consumers, and any law that does that is generally a good one. They also must reimburse any travel costs, within reason, that you incurred which can be very useful.

At the end of the day though, Apple is the type of business that 95% of the time handles these cases very well.

Hopefully you'll never become a business owner processing the sale of goods to people. You wouldn't feel the same way. You're saying this because Apple is the big guy and the consumer is the little guy. Each party should have responsibility. This is some of the reason why prices go up so high. People break things out of anger, their pets knock stuff over, their kids break their stuff up and people spill liquids on things. Taking it back to the store and getting a replacement should not be a dry law requirement. It should be case by case. With your way of thinking the customer should never be responsible.

AT06

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2012
Winwick, UK
Hopefully you'll never become a business owner processing the sale of goods to people. You wouldn't feel the same way. You're saying this because Apple is the big guy and the consumer is the little guy. Each party should have responsibility. This is some of the reason why prices go up so high. People break things out of anger, their pets knock stuff over, their kids break their stuff up and people spill liquids on things. Taking it back to the store and getting a replacement should not be a dry law requirement. It should be case by case. With your way of thinking the customer should never be responsible.

No, my way of thinking is that for a certain period the customer is morally responsive, but legally it is up to the big businesses to prove it was the customers fault. This expires after 6 months, so that the burden of proof is on the customer. Anyways, I believe in karma and I wouldn't return goods I know I have damaged.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
Also spoke to applecare today. Very good conversation. They have had products where tempered glass has cracked because of an imperfection when there are changes in temperature and if they find no evidence of other damage like dents to the casing then they will replace free of charge.

So I will go to the Apple store tomorrow first before going to the vendor. Feel much better now. :)

Excellent. Thank you for posting that although it wasn't quite the way you posted it. One part of the article says if you were to take Apple to court, you, the consumer, would have to prove that it wasn't satisfactory upon purchase.

The second part is if the item proves to be defective "within six months" then the retailer has to prove that the item was in sellable condition at time of purchase. That falls in the line of normal warranty coverage.

I understood your wording to be, if the product is broken at any time the retailer has to prove it wasn't their fault to begin with and the customer would never be at fault regardless.

Well glad it's working out for you and hopefully you'll have good service with your upcoming replacement. :)

Slow Programmer

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2011
Since everyone else has an opinion here is mine. There may be a wire or protruding screw head just under the screen in this location. Has the tape has gone through a few cycles of high and low temps the tape has pulled down on the screen with more force due to it settling into its final position. At a certain point the screen gave way.

Just and idea...

Confuzzzed

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Liverpool, UK
Good luck with this Op. Apple know they can do a screen repair inexpensively and sell the machine in the refurb section for 87% of the RRP in the process making a customer more sticky in the process. They'll replace it

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
This site is all about rumors, isn't it? But here is the link: wikipedia

It is a leftover from the 2006 iMac. The screen is bendable and sounds definitely like plastic (polycarbonate) when you tap on it.

You can't read can you, in your link from wikipedia it says:

2012 iMac

Side view of the 2012 iMac
In October 2012, a new iMac model was introduced that featured a considerably smaller monitor depth than the previous models, measuring 5mm at its thinnest point. This was partly achieved by using a process called Full lamination. The display and glass are laminated together eliminating a 2 mm gap between them. The 21.5 in and 27 in screens remained at their previous resolutions, 1920×1080 and 2560×1440 respectively.

philmed1008

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 20, 2013
Yesssssssd

Firstly I would like to thank everyone for their advice and help over the past few days. I have been to Apple store who have agreed to fix for free! :)

Basically they examined the iMac and found no damage whatsoever elsewhere. The guy said that it was an unusual crack and was not consistent with accidental damage. At some point either in manufacture, assembly, packaging, delivery or the week I had it something happened to weaken it. What, probably never know. They were prepared to believe my version of events and fix for free!

Moral of the story, honesty is the best policy. Apple, amazing products and amazing customer service. Thank you.

:):)

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Firstly I would like to thank everyone for their advice and help over the past few days. I have been to Apple store who have agreed to fix for free! :)

Basically they examined the iMac and found no damage whatsoever elsewhere. The guy said that it was an unusual crack and was not consistent with accidental damage. At some point either in manufacture, assembly, packaging, delivery or the week I had it something happened to weaken it. What, probably never know. They were prepared to believe my version of events and fix for free!

Moral of the story, honesty is the best policy. Apple, amazing products and amazing customer service. Thank you.

Congrats

Honesty does work, and as I said before I believed you and I thought it was a manufacturing fault.

Anyway, enjoy the iMac.

oililymad

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2009
UK

:-D

Great stuff. Chuffed for you.

Lets hope it's not a problem for others to encounter, which I believe was your intention in your OP. Ill be checking mine very carefully when it gets here.

Good for Apple

philmed1008

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 20, 2013
Congrats

Honesty does work, and as I said before I believed you and I thought it was a manufacturing fault.

Anyway, enjoy the iMac.

Thank you, help much appreciated! Just got to wait 5-7 days for repair. So its back to the junky old dell laptop! :eek:

----------

:-D

Great stuff. Chuffed for you.

Lets hope it's not a problem for others to encounter, which I believe was your intention in your OP. Ill be checking mine very carefully when it gets here.

Good for Apple
Thanks, much appreciated!
Yeh examine really closely that it is fully bonded all the way round. The guy asked if id noticed a gap. I hadnt looked!

R.OG

Suspended
Aug 19, 2010
A friend of mine just unboxed a 27" and it has a similar crack on the bottom left corner. This is actually a replacement for an imac received last year with several dead pixels. I'll try to post some pictures before he sends it back to apple.

philmed1008

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 20, 2013
A friend of mine just unboxed a 27" and it has a similar crack on the bottom left corner. This is actually a replacement for an imac received last year with several dead pixels. I'll try to post some pictures before he sends it back to apple.

This seems to have happened a lot on unboxing. Quite a few reports on the internet. Hope there is not a design flaw in the new ones as it as an awesome looking and brilliant piece of technology!

R.OG

Suspended
Aug 19, 2010
Here is the best picture i could get. It definitely looks like impact damage to me.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    231.8 KB · Views: 163

RailJR

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
Our 27" box was all scrunched in the bottom corner and had obviously been dropped before being put inside the plain brown box for shipping... Fortunately the iMac itself was undamaged.

Choctaw

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2008
Wow ! This all seems to be that old game of lets waste a bunch of Bandwidth on I think this, and he things that, and maybe the dog might have done it. Or maybe the old PC troll living in the garage below. I think this is going nowhere. And how about this statement from the OP........."This seems to have happened a lot on unboxing" well did it happen in this case? Only the shadow knows.

oililymad

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2009
UK
Wow ! This all seems to be that old game of lets waste a bunch of Bandwidth on I think this, and he things that, and maybe the dog might have done it. Or maybe the old PC troll living in the garage below. I think this is going nowhere. And how about this statement from the OP........."This seems to have happened a lot on unboxing" well did it happen in this case? Only the shadow knows.

Eh?

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States

That's excellent news. I'm happy for you. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.