Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Verizon today became the first major U.S. iPhone carrier to announce earnings for the fourth quarter of 2012. Overall, the carrier activated 9.8 million smartphones during the quarter, and GigaOM notes that Verizon revealed on its conference call that 6.2 million, or nearly two-thirds, of those were iPhones.

141852-Verizon-logo_300.jpg
Perhaps most interestingly, only half of those iPhones activated during the quarter were of the iPhone 5 variety, indicating that Verizon continues to enjoy strong sales of the lower-cost iPhone 4S and iPhone 4.
It sold 7.3 million LTE devices the last three months of 2012, and it activated 9.8 million smartphones in total. It activated 6.2 million iPhones, about half of which were the LTE-enabled iPhone 5.
Approximately 23% of devices on Verizon's base are now LTE-compatible, with those devices representing almost half of the carrier's data traffic. And AllThingsD notes that Verizon has halted any further additions to its 3G networks in favor of continuing to expand its already substantial 4G LTE networks.

Last quarter, Verizon reported total iPhone activations of 3.1 million, representing 46% of the carrier's smartphone sales.

Apple will be reporting its own earnings tomorrow after the close of trading, at approximately 4:30 PM Eastern / 1:30 PM Pacific. MacRumors will have full coverage of Apple's earnings release and associated conference call taking place at 5:00 PM Eastern / 2:00 PM Pacific.

Article Link: Verizon Activates 6.2 Million iPhones in 4Q 2012, Nearly Two-Thirds of Total Smartphone Activations

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
So it seems like Android users are defecting to iOS, while iOS users are defecting to Android. Interesting.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Interesting mix. I don't think Verizon has ever sold that high a percentage of iPhones in a quarter. Perhaps the strong sales of the 4S partly contributed to the supposed "cuts" in production of the iPhone 5. It is a bit telling that people on Verizon would still be willing to get the 4S. LTE vs. 3G is a MUCH bigger deal on CDMA. Maybe Verizon did a good job of "downselling" the 4S while the 5 was out of stock.

MacFan1957

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2010
How long till the first FanDroid arrives to tell us exactly how these numbers must be wrong! I guess maybe Verizon can't count or maybe the Android phones how up as Linux, has to be that!

BornAgainApple

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
Massachusetts
Good to see the iPhone is still 'relevant', much to the dismay of the Apple Haters. Troubling though that more iPhone 5's were not activated. I guess the average consumer has voted with their wallet, not surprising in these economic times.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Very positive overall, but isn't it a little bit surprising that the iPhone 5 only accounted for around half of iPhone sales?

Weren't there long wait times for iPhone 5 until basically mid or late December when supply caught up?

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
Good to see the iPhone is still 'relevant', much to the dismay of the Apple Haters. Troubling though that not more iPhone 5's were not activated. I guess the average consumer has voted with their wallet, not surprisingly in these economic times.

for most of the people left with no smartphones, $199 is too much. even for me its too much. only way i justify buying a new phone for $199 is proceeds from sales of the old phone

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
You're right...been a LONG couple of days. :cool:

EDIT: Also proof that people still want cheaper stuff(slowly improving economy perhaps). Probably the reason why the iPhone 5 is losing sales to the 4S.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Good to see the iPhone is still 'relevant', much to the dismay of the Apple Haters. Troubling though that more iPhone 5's were not activated. I guess the average consumer has voted with their wallet, not surprising in these economic times.

I'd be curious to know how many S3's they activated in the quarter.

thehustleman

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2013
Interesting mix. I don't think Verizon has ever sold that high a percentage of iPhones in a quarter. Perhaps the strong sales of the 4S partly contributed to the supposed "cuts" in production of the iPhone 5. It is a bit telling that people on Verizon would still be willing to get the 4S. LTE vs. 3G is a MUCH bigger deal on CDMA. Maybe Verizon did a good job of "downselling" the 4S while the 5 was out of stock.

It isn't the 4s, it's the 4 being FREE with a contract.

I activate a lot of them because people want the iphone name and if they get it free they are happy

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
So it seems like Android users are deflecting to iOS, while iOS users are deflecting to Android. Interesting.

I don't see any numbers showing iOS users defecting to Android. But iOS sure seems to be taking a ton of sales from Android lately where they are equally available and at similar price points. Especially in the U.S., iOS is growing rapidly. Latest reports here show the iPhone now over 50% marketshare and Android continuing to drop.

With the iPhone being available on most of the largest carriers here and with subsidizing putting the price points on an equal footing, people are choosing the iPhone/iOS over Android. It will be interesting to see if Apple can make pricing and availability more in line in the rest of the world as it is in the United States because iOS and iPhone sure seem to be preferred in general over Android.

Still amazing that one company can have more marketshare than an entire group of other companies combined in what can be considered the most important single market for smartphones.

Last edited:

Nungster

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2011
Very positive overall, but isn't it a little bit surprising that the iPhone 5 only accounted for around half of iPhone sales?

I am indifferent on that number, as I feel we need more information from as many carriers as possible. My problem with that is that there are a number of customers who can and will not shell out the money to buy an unsubsidized phone and thus are stuck in their contracts from a previous upgrade. Seeing that Verizon now accounts for 4.9 million iPhone 5's from the last quarter (only about 3.5 months of iPhone 5 availability, I feel that tomorrow's earnings report will look very nice to me.

Nungster

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2011
It isn't the 4s, it's the 4 being FREE with a contract.

I activate a lot of them because people want the iphone name and if they get it free they are happy

Agree. Compare the iPhone 4 with any other "free" phone on the market. Which one would you take for a 2 year contract?

The numbers don't add up....

If they sold 3.1M iPhone 5's and 7.3M LTE devices... Then they sold 4.2M non-iphone LTE smartphones.

But if they sold 9.8M smartphones and 6.2M iPhones, they only sold 3.5M non-iPhone smartphones....

They obviously sold more than 50% iPhone 5's....

Edit: Oh, nevermind. I'm guessing they include LTE tablets in that 7.3M number. Move along... nothing to see here...

Bilbo63

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2010

No, I don't think so. You can get some great deals on the last generation iPhones, so why wouldn't they sell well? Some people want an iPhone, but don't want any up-front costs. So I wouldn't say it's that surprising at all.

I wouldn't get too excited, it stands to reason that the stats lean in Apple's favour when they just released a new device. Things will settle out quick enough. I'm an Apple guy, but Android and Samsung are making it very tough on Apple.

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
I don't see any numbers showing iOS users defecting to Android. But iOS sure seems to be taking a ton of sales from Android lately where they are equally available and at similar price points. Especially in the U.S. iOS is growing rapidly. Latest reports here show the iPhone now over 50% marketshare and Android continuing to drop.

I haven't seen any official numbers but take a look in the forums here, there are a TON of ex iPhone users with Android devices now. I'm one of them, and I know PLENTY in person that have done the same. It's not a knock on iOS(though it needs some serious revision) but it's further proof that the times are changing, and that people want something different, and are willing to give Android a try.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Am I drunk or what?

It sold 7.3 million LTE devices the last three months of 2012, and it activated 9.8 million smartphones in total. It activated 6.2 million iPhones, about half of which were the LTE-enabled iPhone 5.

Something does make sense here.

Half of iPhones were LTE
So 3 million LTE iphones.

7.3 m LTE devices - 3 m = 4.3 m other than iPhones

4.3 m + 6.2 m = 10.5 million smartphones NOT 9.8 m smartphones

Edit:

Edit: Oh, nevermind. I'm guessing they include LTE tablets in that 7.3M number. Move along... nothing to see here...

This must be the case.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.