Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OnceYouGoMac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 14, 2012
In front of my Mac
http://www.independent.ie/breaking-...rse-meat-traces-found-in-burgers-3354520.html

Traces of horse meat have been found in burgers on sale in some of the country's busiest supermarkets, food safety chiefs in Ireland have revealed.

Scientific tests on beef products sold in Tesco, Dunnes Stores, Lidl, Aldi and Iceland uncovered low levels of the animal's DNA.

Unbelievable :eek: They were the cheap value range burgers too, which I would never even dream of eating. The 'net has been full of horse jokes the last few days as well.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
A Muslim wouldn't eat a value burger!

Why is that?

Wouldn't that be obvious? It's cheap stuff and when you buy it you don't have the slightest idea what's inside it. And while I would avoid the stuff because I'd be afraid of things that would make me throw up, muslims would in addition be _very_ afraid that there might be any pork in it.

theautopilot

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2010
Not sure why all the fuss about TBH, horse meat can be good eating.

Most people who have eaten a cheap pizza after a night out will probably have eaten horse anyway, in the form of cheap imported salami.

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Aug 1, 2004
The City of Culture, Englandshire
Not sure why all the fuss about TBH, horse meat can be good eating.
Aside from the cultural thing of people in this country being a bit squeamish about scoffing horse, there's a fuss because this highlights that – despite their claims to the contrary – the big supermarkets actually don't have much of a clue what's going into the food that they sell.

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
Exactly. What surprises me most about the whole thing is that they found any meat in value burgers at all.

Just because it comes from a cow or a horse, doesn't mean it is all "meat"... :)

I once watched a video on how chicken nuggets (non-brand specific) were made. I will never ever ever eat chicken again unless I can positively identify the part I am eating. Lets just say that there is very little wastage from a chicken carcass. And I'm sure they find a use for the feathers.

I suspect "value" burgers are much the same way....

----------

Oh, is that so, learned something today.

But then again, there are a lot more muslims than Jews(afaik).

If you consider that Indonesia and Pakistan alone contain about 400 million muslims, I'd say you were correct.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
Oh, is that so, learned something today.

But then again, there are a lot more muslims than Jews(afaik).

Yeah, neither pig nor horse is considered kosher.

True. Especially in Ireland, where there are less than two thousand Jews. In contrast to about forty thousand Muslims.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
Very interesting, especially since it is in the cheaper burgers. I know the french like horse meat and is more expensive there AFAIK. I have never tasted horse meat that I know of, but I have tasted shark, iguanas, and a bunch of others.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.