Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ryth

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2011
So can someone tell me why my stock is trading below $500 this morning then?

Because Apple the company is not the same as Apple the stock.

Reality long left this logical thinking when those videos about manipulating Apple surfaced and how easily money could be made on them.

1town

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2007
It is a different culture in Asian markets. Yes, not many people are willing to shell $650 for an iPhone, but many people are willing to pay $400 for a phone, but on the flip side they tend to change phones much more frequently. Americans tend to hang on to their devices at least for two years, many even more (contract) but get higher end devices when they upgrade. To each their own I guess

Lolwut? two years is considered a fairly quick rate. In fact, US is reportedly the country with the quickest change rate.

I don't know what "asian culture" you're talking about, but according to this chart it can't be korea, japan or (certainly) india.

http://www.phonearena.com/image.php...inns+–+every+six,+a+study+claims"&kw=&popup=1

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
+1 from someone in the "Apple camp".

Though - there is a part of me that would love to rub this in my brother-in-law's face....I think even he is starting to realize iOS has SOMETHING to offer....he's letting them give one to him at work to go along with his personal GS3 :p

Of course IOS has a LOT to offer. So does Android. Anyone that claims one platform has nothing or little to offer is simply chest beating/in denial - or is just obtuse.

Both platforms are great. And both the iPhone and several Android handsets are great too.

I know people get heated about sports teams - and also other things. But, for example - I don't (or I haven't experienced) such polarity/behavior on the photography forums. Are there people that swear by Nikon/Canon/etc (and have strong opinions) - sure - but typically - people state the obvious - use what's best for you and for your use case. I don't think I've ever read where one "side" says the other manufacturer's devices suck, are crap, worthless, hope they fail, etc. Funny.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
This is good news.

Too bad these types of articles are kinda misleading. Android still has like 75% of US market share.

This article actually had a methodgy for coming up with its numbers. How did you get your 75%? You thought up a number and wrote it down?

In my own informal survey of everyone I know, Apple holds around 60% of the market - and they've been gaining. Over the years I've known people to abandon Android for iOS... I can't think of anyone who has gone the other way.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
i have a feeling the European numbers will be horrible, they were already down last time and all i'm seeing nowadays is Samsung unless its someone still using their "old" 4

shaunymac

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2008
AAPL sitting at 499.66 currently... so much for that big bang it made back on 9/18 when it hit 702.10.

All these AAPL haters...really. Im not going into it too far but I'm ready to jump back in.

As far as everyone in the states embracing the trend of kicking Apple to the curb, fine by me. You were never a true apple person to begin with. Ok, that was my fanboy side coming out deep within.

TouchMint.com

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2012
Phoenix
And the largest percentage increase goes to .... Windows phone! I still think it's going to be a super rough time getting a real 3 spot tho (>10%)

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
Thinking RIM will make a bigger comeback this year.

BB10 is looking damn good. No joke.

I couldn't agree more, the company I am working for is testing them and they are nice. The only drawback, if you will is that they have to run on the newest version of their software. However there are lots of new little things in the software that are super nice.

The phone itself is pretty slick, they have some really nice little features in it. The "peak" if you will, is one of my favorite things about it.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Of course IOS has a LOT to offer. So does Android. Anyone that claims one platform has nothing or little to offer is simply chest beating/in denial - or is just obtuse.

Both platforms are great. And both the iPhone and several Android handsets are great too.

I know people get heated about sports teams - and also other things. But, for example - I don't (or I haven't experienced) such polarity/behavior on the photography forums. Are there people that swear by Nikon/Canon/etc (and have strong opinions) - sure - but typically - people state the obvious - use what's best for you and for your use case. I don't think I've ever read where one "side" says the other manufacturer's devices suck, are crap, worthless, hope they fail, etc. Funny.

I think it stems from the fact that smartphones have become very personal devices - while photogs might be perpetually attached to their cameras, the majority of the public isn't.

Most of us use our smartphones daily and are seen with them and have a lot of personal stuff in/on them. They are a sort of identifier I guess....

I know I'm guilty of feeling more defensive of my phone choice than I should be - mostly when told my phone can't do something I know it can. Ran into this a lot working at Best Buy. I personally think Macs/iPads (I worked in computers and tablets) are the best devices in their respective categories and as such if I ever had a customer looking for a higher end computer I would try and sell them on Macs. I'd get smart-ass people all the time telling me "Well you can't do this or that" on a Mac/iPad....some people are just thick skulled and no matter of logic or proof will dissuade them.

I think those people are the people who argue for the sake of arguing.....and I think they exist in any arena where polarization can be exploited - smartphones easily being a big one currently.

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
Lolwut? two years is considered a fairly quick rate. In fact, US is reportedly the country with the quickest change rate.

I don't know what "asian culture" you're talking about, but according to this chart it can't be korea, japan or (certainly) india.

http://www.phonearena.com/image.php...inns+–+every+six,+a+study+claims"&kw=&popup=1

Middle East. UAE $, QATAR $, SAUDI ARABIA $, KUWAIT $. OMAN $, even poorer countries like Jordan and Lebanon have a strong culture of having cell phones as accessories more than anything, and wearing last year accesory is a no-no

shaunymac

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2008
I think it stems from the fact that smartphones have become very personal devices - while photogs might be perpetually attached to their cameras, the majority of the public isn't.

Most of us use our smartphones daily and are seen with them and have a lot of personal stuff in/on them. They are a sort of identifier I guess....

I know I'm guilty of feeling more defensive of my phone choice than I should be - mostly when told my phone can't do something I know it can. Ran into this a lot working at Best Buy. I personally think Macs/iPads (I worked in computers and tablets) are the best devices in their respective categories and as such if I ever had a customer looking for a higher end computer I would try and sell them on Macs. I'd get smart-ass people all the time telling me "Well you can't do this or that" on a Mac/iPad....some people are just thick skulled and no matter of logic or proof will dissuade them.

I think those people are the people who argue for the sake of arguing.....and I think they exist in any arena where polarization can be exploited - smartphones easily being a big one currently.

jrswizzle summed it up pretty good.

As far as the photography stuff...those are mostly noobs talking just to talk or as jrswizzle says, "thick headed people who argue just to argue." I can't agree more. It's a damn camera. I have shot canon, leica, phase one, contax etc. Use what works for you. In the end, its the results that matter. I'm selling my leica stuff because my canon gear is filling my needs right now. Easy as that!

lowtolerance

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2010
The U.S.-market is not important. China and India are important. At least for Apples profits.

The US is the second largest smartphone market in the world, just barely trailing behind China, accounting for about 20% of global smartphone sales vs. 21% in China. This is well ahead of India, who account for only about 3% of the global market.

Population is not the same as market reach. You simply couldn't be more off base claiming that the US market is not important to Apple, or anyone else for that matter.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
jrswizzle summed it up pretty good.

As far as the photography stuff...those are mostly noobs talking just to talk or as jrswizzle says, "thick headed people who argue just to argue." I can't agree more. It's a damn camera. I have shot canon, leica, phase one, contax etc. Use what works for you. In the end, its the results that matter. I'm selling my leica stuff because my canon gear is filling my needs right now. Easy as that!

In hindsight - it's not really the same is it. Because a good photographer can take great pictures with crap let alone the best camera on the market.

And jrswizzle - the same goes in reverse as you know. Lots of people on here claim to know what Android can or can't do based on their 5 minutes on the device 3 years ago. All silly.

SeattleMoose

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2009
Der Wald
Well...then...this must be a temporary blip!!! Or it's a plot!! Yea, that's the ticket. Coz we all know Apple is doomed, doomed I tell you! :rolleyes:

lukarak

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2011
Apples dominance in market share is vital to the consumer. :D

I agree, the consumer would profit the most if there was only Apple on the market. In fact, i hope that Apple will be able to one day produce everything we need in our lives, and that no other companies will exist. Then us consumers will be completely satisfied.

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
This article actually had a methodgy for coming up with its numbers. How did you get your 75%? You thought up a number and wrote it down?

In my own informal survey of everyone I know, Apple holds around 60% of the market - and they've been gaining. Over the years I've known people to abandon Android for iOS... I can't think of anyone who has gone the other way.

Pretty narrow minded aren't you?

http://bgr.com/2012/12/04/mobile-market-share-2012-android/

phillipduran

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2008
Sorry - but you both clearly have issues. Obsess much? Why not just enjoy your phone/device and/or the stats in this thread without resorting to making this yet another "us vs them" thread?

The phone wars are part of the fun we have.

I'm still waiting for the Loomies to take over the world. Where ya at Loomies?

TMay

macrumors 68000
Dec 24, 2001
Carson City, NV
The phone wars are part of the fun we have.

I'm still waiting for the Loomies to take over the world. Where ya at Loomies?

I'm quite satisfied with my iPhone 5, but I can see that Apple needs to create a WW-Z version with a badass blade on it. Text and hack. Doesn't get any better than that.

That's in case of Zombies, but it would probably work for Loomies as well.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Pretty narrow minded aren't you?

http://bgr.com/2012/12/04/mobile-market-share-2012-android/

Your statement:
"Android has 75% of the US market share."

The article:
"Android has 68% of the worldwide market share."

The article made no mention of the US market share like you did and the percentage they gave was 7% lower than what you gave.

Further, that article was written December 4th, meaning it neglected any shifts in market share caused by the holiday season at the end of 2012.

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Apr 15, 2010
The U.S.-market is not important. China and India are important. At least for Apples profits.

^^ This.

Considering world economics, stock market is more interested in how well a US-based company competes globally than locally.

Just ask any of the automakers in Detroit how important global market share was to their stock price.

That said, stock market rewards idiocy and genius alike. Just look at the dot-com era for proof. Your business plan is by far not the most important thing when it comes to your trading price.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.