Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
In reality, people are confused by the complexity of the consumer electronics market, and focus on the horse-race aspect of marketshare numbers, stock prices and other metrics. But the reality is that Apple was very successful and very profitable two years ago, one year ago and remains so today. Android had and will always have much bigger market share by far, and Apple had and will continue to have much bigger profits by far, as it goes after the “sweet spot” of the market while competitors slug it out in the zero-margin segment.
Read more at http://www.cultofmac.com/211221/is-apple-really-failing/#lsoZW2WtkMMw0AH5.99

That's the bit to take from the article really. I just want Apple to worry about Apple and not get dragged into this "Market Share" battle.

I just want Apple to keep the integration going.

King Luis

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2008
problem is, people let the hype get to them. it is kind of true with that one android commercial. people let the rumors get to them and they expect this amazing thing before anything is said. then when those rumors are confirmed not true, they are let down and the phone (remember, its still a phone) becomes boring.
the iphone currently has (most) of the top technologies everyone needs. could you put an SD slot in the side, sure. would people be swapping it out and making use of it, no. they'd put a card in a forget about it.
the upgrades the phone gets every year will only move as fast as the technology can be invented and tested.
software side, lots can be done still. but you have to remember, everyone from a kid to a grand parents will be using the phone so it has to be easy to use for everyone.

Nebulance

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2010
no, it's not boring. I for one, love the iPhone 5. I think the screen size is perfect. I've played with the Samsung Galaxy III, and I really couldn't see myself using that thing. The screen is big, which is nice -- but that's what my iPad is for. I don't need a massive screen in my pocket for when I'm on the go. I like the seamlessness and simplicity of iOS (and especially how it works with my iPad and Mac), and don't like how overloaded Android is with apps and what not from the cell phone providers. Not to mention OS updates that don't come out when they're released by Google, because the cell phone provider has to patch it through -- that's ridiculous.

If you want the bigger screen, then go get something else. I hope Apple doesn't give in to this idea of massive phones. I know it all comes down to making money, but it's not like they're losing money.

iMikeT

macrumors 68020
Jul 8, 2006
California
If you have to ask this question and all you're really doing is comparing Apple's offerings to their competitors, my only response to you would be to come up with ideas that neither the Apple or the competition is doing to improve future products.

It's so easy to be the Monday morning quarterback and criticize from an armchair, not just in regards to tech products but other aspects of life as a whole, than to do the work yourself.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
I'm really enjoying my iPhone 5--and that's after owning an iPhone 3G and an iPhone 4. However, iOS is indeed getting a little stale for those who have owned an iPhone previously. Not enough to make me switch yet, but enough to keep my eye on Android. I hope that iOS 7 has a significantly refreshed UI.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
I spend probably 99% of my time on my phone in apps versus staring at the home screen.....

Maybe that's why I don't see this whole "iOS is boring" point....am I staring at my phone wrong?

pnoyblazed

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2008
shelf life of smartphones are typically within 3-4 months and the next hottest thing is already in the works

Ste Nova

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2012
LL22, UK
the iOS is just the road to get there, every few years the road gets resurfaced.... but its still the same road, its where the road gets you that matters :D

steveash

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2008
UK
Getting a new iphone is a bit like getting a new Mac; it is all exciting and different on the outside but when you start it up you can't help feeling a bit disappointed that it's the same as your previous one (performance aside). With phones I got used to upgrading every 12 months to something new and exciting but I've had an iphone 3G for 4 years now and I'm yet to get excited about a new release.

I'm a photographer so i'm thinking about a Galaxy Note to show off my work. I know it won't work as well as an iphone but at least it offers something new.

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
Getting a new iphone is a bit like getting a new Mac; it is all exciting and different on the outside but when you start it up you can't help feeling a bit disappointed that it's the same as your previous one (performance aside). With phones I got used to upgrading every 12 months to something new and exciting but I've had an iphone 3G for 4 years now and I'm yet to get excited about a new release.

I'm a photographer so i'm thinking about a Galaxy Note to show off my work. I know it won't work as well as an iphone but at least it offers something new.

Wow you're a photographer and you haven't atleast got a 4S? Its an amazing camera plus the screen is beautiful.

Wouldn't you be better off getting a new iPad to show of your work?

pat park

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2011
California
If you have to ask this question and all you're really doing is comparing Apple's offerings to their competitors, my only response to you would be to come up with ideas that neither the Apple or the competition is doing to improve future products.

It's so easy to be the Monday morning quarterback and criticize from an armchair, not just in regards to tech products but other aspects of life as a whole, than to do the work yourself.

You took the words right outta my mouth. Let Apple figure it out. They've done a superb job so far.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
Why do people keep saying iOS is stale? How can it be stale?

Once you open the lockscreen, you'll notice a bit of mold growing around the edges. Also, its no longer quite as soft to the touch and is getting a bit dried out. Apple definitely needs to start using better preservatives.

Brimah

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2012
I dont know what it would take, but I will be an iPhone fan for as long as they make them. Every version I love more than the last. The eco system, the feel, the size, its just a near perfect phone. The battery and lack of customization is my only issue (given battery is always a smartphone issue).

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
I dont know what it would take, but I will be an iPhone fan for as long as they make them. Every version I love more than the last. The eco system, the feel, the size, its just a near perfect phone. The battery and lack of customization is my only issue (given battery is always a smartphone issue).
Apple could throw themes in iOS7 and sell them for a buck in the app store. Then, all the customization complaints would end.

Wonder why they don't? Seems like everyone wins.

bandrews

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2008
One thing I noticed after owning an iPad 2 then a Nexus 7 now back to an iPad mini is that Android is all about what the device is capable of doing. With iOS it is more about what you can do with your device.
Might sound the like the same thing but they're subtlety and significantly different.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
I spend probably 99% of my time on my phone in apps versus staring at the home screen.....

Maybe that's why I don't see this whole "iOS is boring" point....am I staring at my phone wrong?

Agreed. While there are some things I would like to see added (widgets) my iPhone does all that I need it to do.

steveash

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2008
UK
Wow you're a photographer and you haven't atleast got a 4S? Its an amazing camera plus the screen is beautiful.

Wouldn't you be better off getting a new iPad to show of your work?

I only use my phone for snapshots but maybe I might use it more if the quality was better. The 4S screen is nice, perhaps I shouldn't be so miserable!

While the retina ipad is great for showing off images, my phone is the one thing I always have with me. So if I meet someone unexpectedly I always have a portfolio with me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.