Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

67bmer

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 27, 2011
Sorry, did not see an off-topic forum and needed tech advice.

No matter what I do to reduce my internet speed or channels on FIOS triple play will cost more because I loose "credits"... The only option is to reduce to the double play from triple play, TV-Internet.

Is magicJack good or bad?

Should I just get rid of the land line? Is there any reason to still have one?

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011
The only phone calls our landline gets are telemarketers. They're useless IMO.

4JNA

macrumors 68000
Feb 8, 2006
looking for trash files
if you are elderly and need 911 seriously fast and accurate, land lines are the way to go.

dropped mine, went with a $9 cell line for a home phone and have not looked back. Bluetooth bridge to home phone = awesome! :)

the emergency/911 crowd screams every time a land line dies, i'm not so sure it matters. now my phone has its own battery backup system in a power outage... seems like a decent trade off to me and has been way more reliable than VOIP... (comcast sucks, here anyway, every where maybe).

best of luck to you.

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
Should I just get rid of the land line? Is there any reason to still have one?

I've been landline-free since 2002, although that was a bit ahead of the curve. It is hard to imagine too many situations that demand a landline; most of them involve either having awful reception at home or family circumstances that make a landline appealing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.