Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheMTtakeover

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 3, 2011
I upgrade in about a month and am thinking of switching off iOS (again). I am concerned though because last time I switched my android phone sucked. I hated everything about it; the screen, the battery life, the camera, the cell service, etc.

If I go the android route I am looking at the Nexus 4, Note II, or HTC One X+. I like the Nexus 4 due to timely updates and it will then be the same as my N7, which I really enjoy. I just don't like not getting it on contract because getting it on contract saves money seeing as I am going to have the service for the next 2 years anyway.

The Note II is just an awesome phone. Huge battery, big screen, and monster processor. The downside though is that it won't be up to date which really bums me out. The only reason the One X+ is up there is because I don't really want to buy a Samsung. How supportive is the ROM community of the Note II and the One X+? Is there a custom ROM that is fairly similar to Vanilla Android?

Anyway if you guys had to pick a phone right now out of these three which would you pick and why?

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
I say get the nexus 4, stock android is very good, plus you'll still have your upgrade if you decide again android is not for you and use it to get the iPhone. And if you like android you could always use your upgrade to get a free phone to play with or get an iPhone 5 and sell it.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
I say save the upgrade and get a Nexus 4 off contract....

Only $350 AND you can save the upgrade for any of the wondrous devices being released this year.

Plus, the demand for that damn phone keeps its re-sale value higher than Jimmy Hendrix....

By the time you are ready to upgrade, they should be available (so reports say).

EDIT: Guy above me beat me to the punch....well played!

skippymac

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2010
Hampshire, UK
I say get the nexus 4, stock android is very good, plus you'll still have your upgrade if you decide again android is not for you and use it to get the iPhone. And if you like android you could always use your upgrade to get a free phone to play with or get an iPhone 5 and sell it.

+1 I'd always go for nexus devices when buying android.

sentinelsx

macrumors 68010
Feb 28, 2011
Note 2.

Battery life is king when mobile, and the N4 under heavy smartphone usage (one that actively uses screen) is not better than even the GS3 or One X/X+ in battery life.

I would also take better camera, more storage in exchange for staying on latest OS all the time. If my mobile device works great on 4.1, i have no desire to get 4.2 or above, just give me the apps please and i am set.

On my iPhone 4 i was on iOS 4.1 forever until i sold it, and i haven't upgraded my 5 to iOS 6.0.1 from 6.0 yet. Because i am more interested in what some app can do for me than a version change and some minor changelog of the OS. ICS and JB have improved so much now that OS upgrades are not THAT important to me.

TheHateMachine

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2012
I upgrade in about a month and am thinking of switching off iOS (again). I am concerned though because last time I switched my android phone sucked. I hated everything about it; the screen, the battery life, the camera, the cell service, etc.

If I go the android route I am looking at the Nexus 4, Note II, or HTC One X+. I like the Nexus 4 due to timely updates and it will then be the same as my N7, which I really enjoy. I just don't like not getting it on contract because getting it on contract saves money seeing as I am going to have the service for the next 2 years anyway.

The Note II is just an awesome phone. Huge battery, big screen, and monster processor. The downside though is that it won't be up to date which really bums me out. The only reason the One X+ is up there is because I don't really want to buy a Samsung. How supportive is the ROM community of the Note II and the One X+? Is there a custom ROM that is fairly similar to Vanilla Android?

Anyway if you guys had to pick a phone right now out of these three which would you pick and why?

Used to be a believer in the Nexus program until Samsung stepped up their game. The screen, the battery and the Touchwiz feature suite are all very very nice things to have. On top of that Samsung seems to be getting much better at updating Android. Main reason is they are getting a lot of phones on similar internal hardware with just the screen size being the difference. So updates are easier for them.

Seeing as the Galaxy series is taking off there seems to be big developer communities for both phones. There is an unofficial port of Cyanogen for the Note 2. It is basically Stock android with some small tweaks here and there.

Nexus 4 and the Note 2 is a hard decision for me. If you want timely updates and a very nice looking and well designed phone the Nexus is it. If a bigger screen, better battery, LTE and nice features are what you are after get the Note 2.

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009

Samsung is way more supported in custom ROMs than HTC. Steve Kondik who is the creator of cyanogenmod prefers Samsung devices. You shouldn't have any problems finding custom ROMs for a Samsung device, especially one as popular as the note ii. The nexus 4 will have tons of roms as well since its a nexus. I am just a little wary of lg. I have had no issues with any of my Samsung devices. My friend has the note and its excellent.

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
Do you have good LTE coverage in your area? If no, I'd get the Nexus. If yes, I'd get the Note II or even wait for the S4.

I was also deciding between the 3 phones you mentioned and because I had excellent LTE coverage, decided to get the Note II. Happy with my decision.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.