Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Samets

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 20, 2011
I've been using Push for my gmail account for as long as it's been available but since they are killing the ActiveSynch for basic accounts I want to investigate moving to a new provider.
I know that as long as I keep the current phone, I will be fine but that only lasts so long...

Can someone recommend a good Push provider?

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
While I am loathe to suggest an online Apple service to people (given their history with the genre) I do have to say that iCloud mail has been good to me.

After that, I'd probably suggest Yahoo. I've never had it, but the people I know with it seem to like it.

Samets

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 20, 2011
While I am loathe to suggest an online Apple service to people (given their history with the genre) I do have to say that iCloud mail has been good to me.

After that, I'd probably suggest Yahoo. I've never had it, but the people I know with it seem to like it.

As often as Apple changes the service names, I would rather stay away from them. Yahoo/HotMail is not something I would put on my resume.

LapsangSouchong

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2010
the burrows
How about downloading a gmail push alert app? At least the alerts would be synced.

I'd say icloud, but you nixed that.

I use yahoo for my archive and like it, but you nixed that too.

Samets

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 20, 2011
I rather use the Mail.app

I thought Outlook.com is not Push!?

emjaycee18

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2010
As often as Apple changes the service names, I would rather stay away from them. Yahoo/HotMail is not something I would put on my resume.

Apple is still supports all of their legacy domain names (@mac, @me, and so on).

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
Did Google finally turn off push services for iOS?

I would heavily recommend a gmail account, as much as I am pro-Apple. Gmail has the most free storage and is a mature email client that has been around for a while and works pretty well IMO.

Second suggestion is iCloud, but the only limitation is storage space.

boomhower

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2011
I thought you could continue to push as long as your account was set that way before the cutoff? What phone your pushing to shouldn't make a difference. I've changed phones upteen times and never touched a setting in gmail after the initial set-up.

Samets

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 20, 2011
Google has not yet turned it off but it will.

It's device specific. So if I keep my phone for 5 years and never wipe it or change it, then I'm fine. As soon as you switch the phone or delete the settings for the mail, it will be gone.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007

Despite the service changes, email with iCloud has remained very consistent, and all previous names have been kept around for users to use. Even users of the old mac.com e-mail addresses can still use them. Not to mention, I have my doubts they'll be changing names again for some time.

And say what you will about Apple's services and past flubs, but e-mail has pretty much ALWAYS worked. Not to mention, I think we're past most of the teething issues of iCloud at this point. Google too, has had its share of major cloud-wide outages, and few seem loathe to try them out these days.

Aside from iCloud Yahoo is really the only other service that's offering push e-mail for free. Beyond that, you've got two options:

1. Roll your own server, which I don't recommend unless you really know what you're doing and have the resources to do it.

2. Go with a paid Exchange e-mail provider.

With the cost required for either option above, you'd actually come out ahead just staying with GMail and, when the time comes that you can't ActiveSync anymore, pay them $50 a year for a paid apps account and get that functionality back.

Or... go with iCloud/Yahoo.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
Sparrow for iPhone has been updated to support Push functionality

Their description in the app store still says that push notifications are not supported. It looks like it has been updated to support the bigger screen on the iPhone 5 though.

For push email, I would suggest going with Yahoo.

ATC

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2008
Canada
Moved away from GMail late last year and now use iCloud for my main (@me.com, and use aliases of @icloud.com) and Outlook.com as a secondary and they've both been rock solid, with full push on iOS.

The only thing is with Outlook.com it doesn't yet support IMAP so when you clear your inbox on one device, it doesn't update status on other devices, so they still show there as unread. MSFT has said back in August that IMAP is the most frequently user-requested feature and that they do plan on implementing it but nothing so far yet.

Beelzbub

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2012
I would recommend Outlook.com. I am a huge Gmail fan, but since the changes they have made, I found myself in the same boat. Outlook.com has worked great, I have since moved over to it full time now and just have my Gmail forwarded to my Outlook.com account.

On a free outlook account? I've never gotten one to push. Perhaps you could post your settings for the OP?

I set mine up as Exchange. In the screen shot, enter in your email address for your username, and for the server and domain, enter in m.hotmail.com, when you click next, the server will change from m.hotmail.com to what you see in the picture, the bay-m.hotmail.com.

Anyways, those are my settings and I can sync my calendar and my contacts as well. My Push email through Outlook.com works just as good as my Gmail did, I have not missed one email.

Attachments

• IMG_0020.png
    IMG_0020.png
    108.3 KB · Views: 264
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.