Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

frayne182

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2012
Canada
But will people take notice?

No where near the advertising budget of top 3 makers, let alone all together.

I'm sure they will get some good exposure. they are sold out already here in Canada on the Rogers network.

Maybe not a crazy comeback, but a good one.

----------

I couldn't agree more, the company I am working for is testing them and they are nice. The only drawback, if you will is that they have to run on the newest version of their software. However there are lots of new little things in the software that are super nice.

The phone itself is pretty slick, they have some really nice little features in it. The "peak" if you will, is one of my favorite things about it.

Agreed.

Got a few friends working for RIM. Saying some good stuff about it. Its no joke this time around.

I think people are cutting them out of the race because of the past, but they are going to come back strong I think.

personally I won't go out and get one until I see some reviews, but I'm paying attention.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
Better than Palm OS?

RIM is dying. Unless BB10 poops unicorns and sneezes diamonds I can't see them coming back from this.

They said the same thing about Apple in the 90s. Let's not rest on our laurels . . . . that is to say, let's not assume Apple is going to rest on their laurels, as they have been for the past three years.

Danoc

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2011
AAPL is an extremely manipulated stock. Large brokerages short and release rumours and otherwise force the prices down, only to increase the pop later (maybe 4Q earnings this time?). The rumour mill and high price/volume makes it easy to ride up and down by hundreds of dollars if you're one of the big guys. I wouldn't take it as any reflection on Apple's actual performance.

And at the same time, some reports are showing that Apple may not be able to keep the profit growth it had. It's difficult to assess the credibility of such a statement.

TheHateMachine

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2012
Another release from Kantar.

Should be mumbling something about 2013 and looking for my costanza.jpg file.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
You hit the nail on the head here. China, India, and Asia in general is a HUGE market, that's why I hope the rumors for the mid-market iPhone is true.

It is a different culture in Asian markets. Yes, not many people are willing to shell $650 for an iPhone, but many people are willing to pay $400 for a phone, but on the flip side they tend to change phones much more frequently. Americans tend to hang on to their devices at least for two years, many even more (contract) but get higher end devices when they upgrade. To each their own I guess

From what I read, the trend in China is towards the no-name, non-Google, cheap Android phone. Unless they have enough money to buy a status symbol.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
And at the same time, some reports are showing that Apple may not be able to keep the profit growth it had. It's difficult to assess the credibility of such a statement.

Of course Apple can't keep up the same profit growth. That's an exponential game and frankly, it's not sustainable for anyone. There just comes a point when your growth will slow down, even if your profits climb by more net dollars.

Growth is usually measure in percentages, and the problem is percentages don't really tell the whole story.

It's much easier to grow your profits by 100% when you have 1$ of profits (just need to jump up to 2$ of profits) than when you're making 10,000,000,000$ of profits (where you need 20,000,000,000$ of profits to get the same 100% growth).

But percentages will make it seem like the guy who grew his profits by 1$ did better than the guy who grew his profits by billions, short of his 10bn$ mark.

Ryth

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2011
Because that is about where it should be at its peak it was way overvalued by market hype.

Yah a company that has the best profits and highest market cap out there is over-valued...meanwhile companies like Amazon that post losses and Google who is losing advertising / web share trade at a higher P/E.

Ooookay.

frayne182

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2012
Canada
Better than Palm OS?

RIM is dying. Unless BB10 poops unicorns and sneezes diamonds I can't see them coming back from this.

With the changes they have been making I can see people taking notice.

Especially with their new found App focus they are really trying to push for the consumer market. Incentives to make apps for them, new phones that are easily on par if not better then the iPhone..... We know the specs from the "leaks".

I'm the first guy to say RIM is a failure.... but they are doing things right this time around and people will take notice.

Laguna-R069.png

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
Actually, it is. The more market share a platform garners, the more developers are willing to dedicate their time and resources to building great apps for that platform.

Devs have been flocking in drones to iOS for years because of the large market that exists thanks to Apple's market share. Meanwhile, RIM is literally writing checks out of their own pocket to entice developers to do half-assed ports of their apps to BB10.

Open the app store on all three platforms and say that it doesn't matter. It does.

That's why people here are so ecstatic about Microsoft's dominance in the software business. It is much better to have no competition and have only one company produce everything. The consumer always wins in a monopolistic situation.

Navdakilla

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2011
Canada
Thinking RIM will make a bigger comeback this year.

BB10 is looking damn good. No joke.

Although I am a ex-bb user and loved it. I don't think the bb10 phones offer me more than what I already get on the iPhone. I don't think I will be switching back just yet. Although I hope rim gets it together and succeeds with there new phones.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
I agree, the consumer would profit the most if there was only Apple on the market. In fact, i hope that Apple will be able to one day produce everything we need in our lives, and that no other companies will exist. Then us consumers will be completely satisfied.

And I thought I was the only one who got it. :D:D

M

Mr.damien

So can someone tell me why my stock is trading below $500 this morning then?

Should be happy, you get dividend you asked for years now.

Well you lose 30% of the value of your shares, that's a good way to thanks TC for giving them.

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California
That's why people here are so ecstatic about Microsoft's dominance in the software business. It is much better to have no competition and have only one company produce everything. The consumer always wins in a monopolistic situation.

I wasn't suggesting this at all. I was simply stating that market share does matter in the industry. No need to sensationalize.

oliversl

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2007
I don't get it, so Apple is selling more smartphones than Android in the US? Why Google is saying the opposite? Great news for Apple, I hope Tim Cook talk about this tomorrow.

sinsin07

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2009

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
most of the world you have to pay full price for a phone. $650 for iphone 5/Galaxy S3 and less for older and cheaper phones.

most people don't buy phones more than $300 to $400. the top of the line phones are mostly a US market due to the 2 year contract. this is why so many kids in the USA have smartphones now. $99 or free on contract is a no brainer gift for a kid. my older son will probably get a smartphone when he is 7 or so. 9 tops

wigby

macrumors 68030
Jun 7, 2007
I'd rather see a poll that shows they have the highest quality phones instead. I've been a fan and have had every iPhone since the first model in 2007. Nobody had them and it felt like the coolest thing around. I waited up until midnight last September to be one of the first customers to order the iPhone 5. It has so many glitches (Hardware? Software? Both?) that I'm done giving them the benefit of the doubt thinking each instance is a fluke occurrence. To name a few, sometimes the screen just dims itself all the way down but when I open brightness settings, the slider is still all the way to the right. If I manipulate the slider the brightness returns, I'm CONSTANTLY dropping LTE in downtown Portland, OR. Now I get that this could be the fault of my provider, AT&T, but during the time it takes to switch antennas it will sometimes get hung up on NO SERVICE and require a reboot. The last thing I feel like mentioning is that iOS 6 crashes. Often. I don't recall ANY of my other iPhones ever rebooting themselves.

Oh yeah! One more thing. When I answer a call and say "hello", most times I hear nothing because the caller never heard my first "hello" so I have to repeat myself. None of my other iPhones had this delay in connecting the call. What can I do? I'm locked in for 18 more months. Ugh. It's obvious that they are making a ton of phones because the quality has turned to %^#!.

sounds like all of your problems stem from your carrier. your brightness is fine. it's adjusting to the changing ambient light levels. stop fiddling with it.

iphone 5 is still the standard to beat. it lags and crashes less than any other phone. just ask around. apple had a huge lead on the competition but they all caught up for the most part. there's nothing that could've been done differently. as soon as the competition realized they could borrow ideas and technology and component prices came down, they were able to compete with apple by making an almost as good product for a lot less. until there's another tech breakthrough or radically different os (sorry buy android, ms and blackberry don't count just because they're technically newer than iOS), we will all have to wait to see what apple does next.

frayne182

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2012
Canada
sounds like all of your problems stem from your carrier. your brightness is fine. it's adjusting to the changing ambient light levels. stop fiddling with it.

iphone 5 is still the standard to beat. it lags and crashes less than any other phone. just ask around. apple had a huge lead on the competition but they all caught up for the most part. there's nothing that could've been done differently. as soon as the competition realized they could borrow ideas and technology and component prices came down, they were able to compete with apple by making an almost as good product for a lot less. until there's another tech breakthrough or radically different os (sorry buy android, ms and blackberry don't count just because they're technically newer than iOS), we will all have to wait to see what apple does next.

no he experiences the exact same thing as me. Its where the backlight completely shuts off. Like no joke. Next time it happens I'm taking a pic of it.

My iPhone 5 will sometimes just have no backlight until I slightly move the slider in the options.. then it returns.

I thought I was the only one lulz so didn't bring it up. Guess not. But it does happen to me as well. I don't have auto brightness on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.