Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hankster

macrumors 68020
Jan 30, 2008
Washington DC
Disney%20MK%202012-174-XL.jpg

This would be a perfect photo if there were no people in it :D Great shot regardless.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
One from the same lake as yesterday's picture. There were these cool bubbles in the lake that get trapped in the ice, and I tried to get them here.

8402436117_12cd1466a7_b.jpg

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
One from the same lake as yesterday's picture. There were these cool bubbles in the lake that get trapped in the ice, and I tried to get them here.

I'd love to see frozen bubbles like that someday. I've seen a lot of great pictures of them, but haven't yet come across any myself. Nice blue color in this one.

That person is crazy! :eek: I think my fear of precipitous cliffs is only matched by my fear of falling through ice on a lake. How can you tell how thick the ice is and be sure that it's safe?

Ha! No people at Disney around sunset. That's good one. :)

Yeah, about as likely as having Yosemite's Horsetail Falls to yourself on February 20. ;) Do they allow tripods in Disney parks? If so, then a long exposure or combinations of exposures might get rid of the people.

BarryJ

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2007
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
No worries Phrasikleia

I / we do a lot of ice fishing. Folks in this part of Ontario wait for a period of cold weather... and when the lakes "catch over"... we step out with an axe in hand.... we use the axe to gauge the thickness of the ice. If the cold weather holds, the ice grows thicker. We progress from axes to snow machines to vehicles. So ice on Windy Lake right now, is more than safe for any person. Snow machines, no worries. Trucks and SUVs, well, I'd be nervous and I too would drive with the doors open. 20 cm is getting close to a foot in imperial scales so its more than safe. But it cracks and moves continuously. It's pretty neat. The crack my friend is striding went on for hundreds of metres but there was no way it would "open up" under his weight. Oddly, it was touching -40c here this morning... what we call square tire weather. But I'm thinking it will not last long. Finally - I grew up in Labrador. When I was a kid, the ice would have been a metre thickl. We had to put an extension on our ice augers to get to the fish ! Come up for a visit, I'd be happy to show you the sights, and cracks. :)

butch10x

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2010

day 21/365 || jan 21 - a local fav by Bhupesh Patel Photography, on Flickr

----------

Is this with a tilt shift lens? I would say the OOF elements on the left are nice but as my eyes followed the bridge it starts to get blurry. At first I assumed long exposure and the bridge had "moved" but then I realised how impossible that would be! I wonder if there would have been a way to keep more of the right side of the image in focus.[/QUOTE]

Yes, this was taken with the 24 t/s L lens. I wasn't able to keep the blur off the ride side of the image. I'm still new with working in the shift mode with that lens. I'm really having fun using it since it manual focus too.

Ish

macrumors 68020
Nov 30, 2004
UK

Nice capture there! Wonderful shades of blue. Is this your desktop for this month?

Is it just me or has the maximum width of forum posts been reduced?

All pictures are maxing out at 780px wide.

Hi Reef! No, don't think so. The ones you quoted are all 1024 for me.

Mine for today. This is the first photo I took with my 5DII. I've been hoping to get a better one as the focus isn't quite on the eyes but she's usually either fully awake and won't keep still or fast asleep!

mishai.jpg

Cheese&Apple

macrumors 68010
Jun 5, 2012
Toronto
Is it just me or has the maximum width of forum posts been reduced?

All pictures are maxing out at 780px wide.

Appears to be true. :confused: The shot below should have been 1024.

It is for me too, 780px wide. Waste of real estate on a 27" screen! :(

I agree! :(

Don't know if this is related but the shot that Ish posted today (cat) has gone funky on my screen.

Red Rock Canyon, Nevada

PHD_3687-XL.jpg

Last edited:

TheReef

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2007
NSW, Australia.
Hi Reef! No, don't think so. The ones you quoted are all 1024 for me.

Interesting, thanks for chiming in Ish, a few others are seeing that change as well. I guess the change is taking a while to propagate...

It is for me too, 780px wide. Waste of real estate on a 27" screen! :(

Appears to be true. :confused: The shot below should have be 1024.

I agree! :(

Bummer :(

I may be able to address the issue to fix automatically by building it into AutoTimg.
From what I've fiddled with so far it looks possible, I temporarily got C&A's nice desert pic back to 1024px wide using the Safari Web Inspector... (Using the hidden "Develop" menu, then adding a CSS rule) I'm busy, maybe get a chance to look at it in the evenings this week fingers crossed.

Keep posting at 1024px guys! :)

Last edited:

Ish

macrumors 68020
Nov 30, 2004
UK
Interesting, thanks for chiming in Ish, a few others are seeing that change as well. I guess the change is taking a while to propagate...

Sorry, I might have been wrong with what I said before. If I tap to 'open in new window', many of the pictures open at 1024 and that is quite a bit bigger than shown in the forum. I posted my picture at 800 and when I do the same with that it's just a fraction bigger than the forum photo.

Is the cat picture going screwy for anyone else?

PS. It's good to be on here again. I haven't had time for photography for months and decided enough is enough. Something else is going to have to give a little.

Nik73

macrumors regular
May 26, 2006
UK

I used to browse the iphone photo thread as I always thought it was an interesting little window into other people's lives and great to see places from all over the world. For similar reasons I occasionally dropped in to this part of the forum.
I've not been here for an age, but something made me have a quick look today. Browsing the thread, I saw this photo and thought "Wow, that looks like my home town." Then, of course, I realised it IS my home town! Not that I know anything about photography, but great photo Doylem, especially the sky. It makes my grubby little town look beautiful!

Small world and that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.