Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

peteullo

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2009
Scranton, PA
Future iPhones will be easier to roll out larger screen with the new screen ratio being introduced for the iPhone 5. I believe Apple went with this approach to possibly make life for developers a little easier when updating their applications in the future. Hope my theory here makes sense lol.

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
My prediction:

iPhone 5S = cheaper iPhone but still 4 inches; marketed as improved iPhone 5; similar to MacBook

iPhone 6 = more expensive option; also 4 inches but more premium features; similar to MacBook Pro

Then continue this every year with 6S and 7, 7S and 8 etc.

Offering a new design every year would help Apple stock recover. It would also give those ready for a upgrade from now on a choice between a new design at a higher price or a one-year-old design at a lower price. A new, subtle design every 2 years isn't enough anymore, at least not according to Wall Street and teenagers/young adults. If it looks the same like last year's model, it will be a big FAIL according to the media, Wall St. and a lot of young users.

VoR

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2008
UK
I really don't like this idea of having a "bigger" iPhone...
It's like Apple is just listening to customer's demand, but not being the "leader", creating something that will make the user think: "why didn't I think of this" or... "Apple is right!"

sigh.

Listening to consumer demand is a bad thing? :) Having two identical phones, one with a small screen one with a large (like the competition) sounds like a good idea to me, people want different things. Not much apple can do to 'lead' with regards to screen sizes :)

I'd love for them to enable voice/text on all their 3G devices (the iPads...) - I don't see why it's not already being done, what the disadvantage could be (apart from their cost of certification) and why everyone isn't doing it. Options are good, usage scenarios vary!

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Digitimes says that they goofed on the larger AND cheaper iPhone rumor... but what if it's one of either ? Larger but more expensive 5S or a cheaper iPhone ?

Or both... bringing us to 3 models.

So much wild speculating for things we won't know until 6 months from now! :eek:

osaga

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2012
I think the iphone 5+ is still happening, because it makes incredibly good sense for Apple. Here's why:

-Tim is no fool.
-Tim released the iPad mini, in response to consumer demand, he'll do it again with a bigger iphone.
-The Galaxy SIII has sold 30 million. It has a big screen. It is also what has apple investors running scared, as they can see viable competition in the market. The SIII is an "expensive" phone.
-Wozniak said that "Apple was arrogant" referring to the small screen size of the iphone 5.
-Tim is reactive to public criticism, he issues apologies, and back peddles on new policies. "the weight of apple is behind fixing maps."
-Tim fired forestall to insure that ios7 looks fresh, due to criticism.
-Tim want's china, and they want bigger screens.
-Tim moves quickly.

duneriderltr450

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2012
Oregon
Digitimes has now published a new report backtracking on its earlier claim and indicating that Apple only plans to launch two new 4-inch iPhone models in 2013, presumably the iPhone 5S and some form of a new iPhone 5, perhaps revamped into a cheaper form factor based around a plastic shell.

Put down the crack pipe, Digi.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
Digitimes says that they goofed on the larger AND cheaper iPhone rumor... but what if it's one of either ? Larger but more expensive 5S or a cheaper iPhone ?

Or both... bringing us to 3 models.

So much wild speculating for things we won't know until 6 months from now! :eek:

I wouldn't expect Digitimes to understand boolean operators, either.

Manzzle

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2012
I have the iPhone 5. If the next iPhone screen is not bigger and wider then I'm buying what ever Samsung comes out with.

When is the Galaxy 4 coming, does anyone know of any news of this?

flux73

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2009
You know what would make a great "larger, cheaper" iPhone? An iPad mini with phone capability + bluetooth headset.

chadley_chad

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2004
Nottingham, UK
Too late Apple!

Too late apple; in the face of stiff competition from the galaxy S3, all you could give us was a bland iPhone 5!

My iPhone 4 contract is up and I'm seriously looking at the galaxy note 2 or waiting a few months more for the galaxy S4 ... Which I'm confident will outdo apples iPhone 6 as all apple seems to be concerned about these days is rushing out under spec'd products knowing people will buy whatever ... Then bring out updated versions 6 months later knowing apple sheep will spend spend spend again (citing the iPad mini ... Which I refuse to buy as I know the retina model will be out soon ... As it should have been in the first place!)

Can anyone give me a VERY good reason why I shouldn't buy a galaxy over an iPhone (knowing I've been an apple user for 15 years so I'm pretty clued up on owning many apple products).

Koernerdan

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2013
I thought the plastic shell wouldn't do well, but now I realize this is a great move for Apple because it has iPhone 5 specs and is as much as the current iphone 4 on contract (free). I'm not sure about the durability though. This might be a major push factor.

chadley_chad

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2004
Nottingham, UK
It's like Apple is just listening to customer's demand, but not being the "leader", creating something that will make the user think: "why didn't I think of this" or... "Apple is right!"

sigh.

Well I for one am moving to a Galaxy exactly because of the bigger screen! Take my advice, go into a phone shop and play around with a galaxy note 2 and then an S3 ... Then use your iPhone and you'll see why Apple needs to bring out a 5" screen model.

Apple haven't been a 'leader' for a LONG time ... all apple are concerned about is making things thinner, even at the expense of loosing key components like optical drives (and look at the iMac with the SD slot on the back!!!!).

People call apple buyers sheep and as an apple user for 15 years I've never liked this term; but now I think it's true ... Just look at what apple is bringing out in comparison to the competition ... and the price!

ZZtopgun

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2013
This concerns me. I'm open to the idea of diversifying the iPhone line but to spew a bunch of products out in a relatively short period of time is a red flag for quality assurance to me. It also creates the appearance of reacting to the market rather than creating it as Apple traditionally does. IMO, diversify but don't chase Android's cheap product/high volume formula. I don't think Apple can win at that game and Jobs certainly wouldn't be interested in doing so.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Offering a new design every year would help Apple stock recover. It would also give those ready for a upgrade from now on a choice between a new design at a higher price or a one-year-old design at a lower price. A new, subtle design every 2 years isn't enough anymore, at least not according to Wall Street and teenagers/young adults. If it looks the same like last year's model, it will be a big FAIL according to the media, Wall St. and a lot of young users.

Yeah, but there's only so many ways that you can radically transform a rectangle...

longsilver

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2005
Wildly speculative guess: the device to which this chatter refers (if it is anything other than a complete pile of steaming rumour and nonsense) is not a phone but a remote control for the mooted TV.

Eggtastic

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
NJ
Well I for one am moving to a Galaxy exactly because of the bigger screen! Take my advice, go into a phone shop and play around with a galaxy note 2 and then an S3 ... Then use your iPhone and you'll see why Apple needs to bring out a 5" screen model.

Apple haven't been a 'leader' for a LONG time ... all apple are concerned about is making things thinner, even at the expense of loosing key components like optical drives (and look at the iMac with the SD slot on the back!!!!).

People call apple buyers sheep and as an apple user for 15 years I've never liked this term; but now I think it's true ... Just look at what apple is bringing out in comparison to the competition ... and the price!

this.

i had my iphone 4 stolen this summer. i was planning to wait until the 5 launch, but being on an old blackberry pearl in the meantime, and a vacation was a week away where i wanted a smart phone to share media, i pulled the trigger on an s3.

to this day i haven't looked back. love the s3's large screen real estate. i am productive enough with this and a mba.

now hopefully if apple follows this current track, i'll consider the newer iphone if the screen is wider (and it be nice to throw a notification LED, depsite most people against it).

StoneJack

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2009
I think the iphone 5+ is still happening, because it makes incredibly good sense for Apple. Here's why:

-Tim is no fool.
-Tim released the iPad mini, in response to consumer demand, he'll do it again with a bigger iphone.
-The Galaxy SIII has sold 30 million. It has a big screen. It is also what has apple investors running scared, as they can see viable competition in the market. The SIII is an "expensive" phone.
-Wozniak said that "Apple was arrogant" referring to the small screen size of the iphone 5.
-Tim is reactive to public criticism, he issues apologies, and back peddles on new policies. "the weight of apple is behind fixing maps."
-Tim moves quickly.

Very well said. Couldn't agree more!

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
Yeah, but there's only so many ways that you can radically transform a rectangle...

They'll have to if they want AAPL to go back over 700. I've seen some interesting photoshops of potential future iPhones. We need another iPhone 4 WOW!!! design.

----------

-Tim is no fool.
-Tim moves quickly.

The pieces for a larger display are coming together.

4kk2kk

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2013
You guys really can't make up your mind, can you?

sigh.

A few years back we all heard the complaint about Apple and how they always decide what we use and how we use our device and computers. They should give people their own choice. Apple is to controlling and their is not removable flash drive, usb, whatever. Why does apple always do this, they are trying to decide our usage of what we need and why! **That was then**

**This is now**

Why is apple not being a "leader"? Now all they are doing is listening to people and making what they think people need and want. Oh they should not being doing that, they need to be leaders!

My take: They are leaders, the best leaders of our world always listened to the people.

Honestly people are the most chaotic things ever existed on earth. First they don't like this and then they do not like that.

Lucky i am not Apple, I would not care at all what is being said, and would only make what i feel is good for everyone.

I hope apple does that. People do not deserve anything. Unsatisfied MOFO's.

Peace kids.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.