Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bonskovsky

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 31, 2012
What do you usually get for an iPhone if you put it on Craigslist? I once put an iPhone 4 on Craigslist for $150, I got so many responses it was like 5 texts per minute.

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
Check out Craigslist and e bay etc first to see whats generally bring asked for them.

Then hit for a price somewhere near that.

KentuckyHouse

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2010
Lexington, KY.
When do you think the Sprint iphones are worth so much less?

Because Sprint's network is crappy compared to AT&T and Verizon. The user base is also much smaller than those others.

That's almost full price?

I've been buying and trading cell phones for a while now and I've yet to see an iPhone 5 go for less than $515. $550 is fair if the phone is mint. You also have to remember, when you're buying second hand, you aren't paying taxes on the purchase price, so you've saving quite a bit of money there as well.

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
Craigslist prices vary from city to city. Where I live Craigslist is terrible for the seller. iPhone 4S att goes for $220-$250, HTC one x and note 1 goes for $150, ps vita with games $100.

djransom

macrumors 601
May 14, 2008
Chi-Town
I've been searching on Craigslist for an iPhone 5 for the past week here in Chicago. I've seen prices vary from $450 to $800 depending on size of iPhone. I've been trying to trade my 4S, but most people want my phone plus the cost of a new i5. If you have the box and accessories then I say $500 is fair. I just seen a couple pop up for $450, but sucks because I'm waiting on a refund from a package I returned so I'm dead in the water for now :mad:

KentuckyHouse

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2010
Lexington, KY.
I will say this, guys. Buyer beware when it comes to Craigslist. I'll relate to you one of my recent deals that went horribly wrong...

I bought a HTC One X+ from a known member on a cell trading site (I know him from XDA as well, so I knew he was reputable). I used the phone for a couple of weeks off and on and then decided to trade it to another member there for his iPhone 5 (plus some cash on my end). We make the trade, he gets the One X+ and as soon as he puts his sim in it, it tells him his account has been locked and the phone is blocked.

It turns out, while the phone was in transit to him, AT&T added it to their new blacklist. Why? Well, in my digging and talking to AT&T, it was originally stolen from an AT&T store in Wisconsin. The first owner (the first person on the trading forum that actually bought it) bought it from a guy that advertised it on Craigslist. About a week after selling it to the guy I bought it from, the first owner got a call from a detective asking if he had the phone. He told him he'd already sold it and the detective took some information about the Craigslist buyer he'd got it from and said he wasn't in any trouble but to let him know if he heard anything else about the phone. Unfortunately, the first buyer didn't pass this information along to the next guy and I ended up being the one still standing when the music stopped and the phone was added to the blacklist database.

AT&T refuses to unblock the phone and won't reimburse me for the cost. My only outlet now is to file a dispute with PayPal, which I don't want to do because I know the guy that sold it to me is legit and wasn't trying to deceive me. But, otherwise, I'm sitting here with a paperweight (the guy I traded with returned it to me and I bought his iPhone 5 outright).

The carriers and phone OEM's are trying to kill off the market for used phones by implementing this blacklist database. And they're doing a good job so far, because I'm probably done dealing with it.

corys00

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2011
I sold an unlocked iPhone 5 16GB White for $550 last week. Lowest I'd gone was $500. That's the standard price here in Orlando.

SeniorGato1

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2010
Sold my white 32gb Verizon iphone 5 with box, no headphones, 2 $10 cases, and 2 USB cords for $650 last week near Chicago. It was listed for 2 weeks and only had about 4 inquiries, most of them being low balls.

SLC Flyfishing

Suspended
Nov 19, 2007
Portland, OR
I sold a 32GB iPhone4 a week before the 5 came out for $275.00. It was definitely not anywhere near to "mint" either.

I've seen 64GB 5's going for $900+ (Verizon) around here!

cherishzm

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2011
I will say this, guys. Buyer beware when it comes to Craigslist. I'll relate to you one of my recent deals that went horribly wrong...

I bought a HTC One X+ from a known member on a cell trading site (I know him from XDA as well, so I knew he was reputable). I used the phone for a couple of weeks off and on and then decided to trade it to another member there for his iPhone 5 (plus some cash on my end). We make the trade, he gets the One X+ and as soon as he puts his sim in it, it tells him his account has been locked and the phone is blocked.

It turns out, while the phone was in transit to him, AT&T added it to their new blacklist. Why? Well, in my digging and talking to AT&T, it was originally stolen from an AT&T store in Wisconsin. The first owner (the first person on the trading forum that actually bought it) bought it from a guy that advertised it on Craigslist. About a week after selling it to the guy I bought it from, the first owner got a call from a detective asking if he had the phone. He told him he'd already sold it and the detective took some information about the Craigslist buyer he'd got it from and said he wasn't in any trouble but to let him know if he heard anything else about the phone. Unfortunately, the first buyer didn't pass this information along to the next guy and I ended up being the one still standing when the music stopped and the phone was added to the blacklist database.

AT&T refuses to unblock the phone and won't reimburse me for the cost. My only outlet now is to file a dispute with PayPal, which I don't want to do because I know the guy that sold it to me is legit and wasn't trying to deceive me. But, otherwise, I'm sitting here with a paperweight (the guy I traded with returned it to me and I bought his iPhone 5 outright).

The carriers and phone OEM's are trying to kill off the market for used phones by implementing this blacklist database. And they're doing a good job so far, because I'm probably done dealing with it.

I would get ii unlocked for use with T-Mobile or T-Mobile MVNO SIM's (Straight Talk, Simple Mobile, etc). It'll work fine with that since T-Mobile does not care AT&T blacklisting this phone. It would lose some value but still the best way to minimize loss

AppleFanatic10

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2010
Hawthorne, CA
Selling iPhone 5, how low can you go?

When do you think the Sprint iphones are worth so much less?

Sprints iPhones are worth less because people can barely get reception on them. It's basically just an iPod with Sprint's horrible service. If it was an unlocked Sprint iPhone 5, then that's a whole different story.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
What do you usually get for an iPhone if you put it on Craigslist? I once put an iPhone 4 on Craigslist for $150, I got so many responses it was like 5 texts per minute.

If u put up an Ad to hire sombody and ur getting thousands of replies, it means your jobs requirement is too low!

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
When the iPhone 5 came out my brother pre-ordered it and put his iPhone 4 16GB on eBay. By the final day it was up to £320. I think people just go mad and have to have it, because I saw many other iPhone 4's, some with bigger memories going for cheaper. I guess you have to be lucky and put it on at the correct time of day to gather the interest.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.