Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Renzatic

Suspended
That's why people here are so ecstatic about Microsoft's dominance in the software business. It is much better to have no competition and have only one company produce everything. The consumer always wins in a monopolistic situation.

It's so great not having to toil under the tyranny of choice! BRING ON THE KING, I SAY!

----------

Its a ripoff of both android and ios. Adios blackberry

It seems everything's a ripoff of something around here.

I'm not a huge Blackberry fan. At all. Given half a chance, I'd chuck my old Storm at Thorsten Heins' head as hard as I could, and demand he give me back the $300 I wasted on that absolute festering pile of crap.

...but despite that, I think BB10 looks pretty damn nice, and could very well succeed. Yeah, it does crib more than a bit from iOS, Android, and WebOS, I'll admit. But you know what? I don't care. As long as it makes for a better, more user friendly OS, I say let them steal, copy, and lift all they want. I'm not sternly married to one single platform. I want FEATURES, DAMNIT!

everything-i

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2012
London, UK
Yah a company that has the best profits and highest market cap out there is over-valued...meanwhile companies like Amazon that post losses and Google who is losing advertising / web share trade at a higher P/E.

Ooookay.

As I said I think it was over values at peak of over $700. You really have to take future prospects into account. Now if it looks like Apple is going to crack eastern markets which is their next big hurdle then the price should start to rise fast again but that is early days and also we still need to see something completely new in the post Jobs era so I think Apple is about its money or just a little under given where they are at the moment. Comparing them to Google which is probably over valued at the moment isn't getting you anywhere and Amazon has a lot of potential at the moment given the product/service packages they are bringing to market and their aggressive moves into new markets. Their value is based more on future potential than current results and they are currently in a very good position for growth.

Last edited:

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
It's so great not having to toil under the tyranny of choice! BRING ON THE KING, I SAY!

----------

I want FEATURES, DAMNIT!

The King is dead. Long live the King!! You do not want features. You want what Tim wants you to have. :D

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
The King is dead. Long live the King!! You do not want features. You want what Tim wants you to have. :D

Decisions are hard. Things would be so much easier for the entire world if there was only one phone manufacturer, one OS, etc. Think about it - no choice = freedom from the burden of those decisions. And then everyone can participate on the same message board. It would unite the world.

After the phone industry - the same thing should happen with cars, homes, cereal, religion, health insurance, and so on. Makes sense to me...

Zunjine

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2009
They said the same thing about Apple in the 90s. Let's not rest on our laurels . . . . that is to say, let's not assume Apple is going to rest on their laurels, as they have been for the past three years.

Apple didn't come back in the PC business - they moved into a new market with a new product: iPod. Sure, they're selling a fair few PCs now but that's not what turned the company around. That was a consequence.

As for laurel resting... well that's another discussion.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
Oh yeah. Crap. You're right! What was I thinking?

...I don't know what I want until Apple tells me I want it :Blank Jony Ives Stare:.

That was the problem. You were thinking independently. :D

----------

Decisions are hard. Things would be so much easier for the entire world if there was only one phone manufacturer, one OS, etc. Think about it - no choice = freedom from the burden of those decisions. And then everyone can participate on the same message board. It would unite the world.

After the phone industry - the same thing should happen with cars, homes, cereal, religion, health insurance, and so on. Makes sense to me...

Alas, I think that is exactly Apple's motive. To unite the world in peace and harmony. And people make a big deal about Gates giving away billions to help the poor. :D

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
That was the problem. You were thinking independently. :D

----------

Alas, I think that is exactly Apple's motive. To unite the world in peace and harmony. And people make a big deal about Gates giving away billions to help the poor. :D

The poor do not buy iPhones, AppleScruff.

Mr. Retrofire

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2010
www.emiliana.cl/en
Maybe not as important given the sheer number of people in those countries you mentioned....but as far as disposable income goes, the US is a HUGE market for Apple and will continue to be.
In many parts of the U.S. people can not even afford the rent, and you speak about a huge U.S. market.

China and India markets grow certainly faster than the U.S. market, especially after the financial crisis in the U.S. and the EU.

Mr. Retrofire

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2010
www.emiliana.cl/en
The US is the second largest smartphone market in the world, just barely trailing behind China, accounting for about 20% of global smartphone sales vs. 21% in China. This is well ahead of India, who account for only about 3% of the global market.

Population is not the same as market reach. You simply couldn't be more off base claiming that the US market is not important to Apple, or anyone else for that matter.
I talk about the future, not the past. :)

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
Apple didn't come back in the PC business - they moved into a new market with a new product: iPod. Sure, they're selling a fair few PCs now but that's not what turned the company around. That was a consequence.

As for laurel resting... well that's another discussion.

Well, what actually turned the company around was Steve Jobs' return along with the iMac. What made Apple popular was the iPod and iTunes on both Mac and Windows.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
In many parts of the U.S. people can not even afford the rent, and you speak about a huge U.S. market.

China and India markets grow certainly faster than the U.S. market, especially after the financial crisis in the U.S. and the EU.

And yet the US is still the largest market in the world - ahead of China....

http://www.informationweek.com/mobility/smart-phones/iphone-beats-android-in-us-market/240146696

Toward the bottom.

There is poverty in the US to be sure....but in many cases, even the poorest here are rich by comparison to other countries.

Redgiemental

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2008
I'd rather see a poll that shows they have the highest quality phones instead. I've been a fan and have had every iPhone since the first model in 2007. Nobody had them and it felt like the coolest thing around. I waited up until midnight last September to be one of the first customers to order the iPhone 5. It has so many glitches (Hardware? Software? Both?) that I'm done giving them the benefit of the doubt thinking each instance is a fluke occurrence. To name a few, sometimes the screen just dims itself all the way down but when I open brightness settings, the slider is still all the way to the right. If I manipulate the slider the brightness returns, I'm CONSTANTLY dropping LTE in downtown Portland, OR. Now I get that this could be the fault of my provider, AT&T, but during the time it takes to switch antennas it will sometimes get hung up on NO SERVICE and require a reboot. The last thing I feel like mentioning is that iOS 6 crashes. Often. I don't recall ANY of my other iPhones ever rebooting themselves.

Oh yeah! One more thing. When I answer a call and say "hello", most times I hear nothing because the caller never heard my first "hello" so I have to repeat myself. None of my other iPhones had this delay in connecting the call. What can I do? I'm locked in for 18 more months. Ugh. It's obvious that they are making a ton of phones because the quality has turned to %^#!.

You get an replacement phone from Apple under your warranty.

surjavarman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 24, 2007
I don't believe it. I only see galaxy s3, note2 and cheap android devices where I live.

I think WSJ are trying to create hype so that the stock price will increase and thus more profits for them.

elmaco

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2012
I feel sorry for the Android guys, first because they had to use an inferior product for such a long time and now that they are loosing the smart phone war they will have to rebuy all their apps for iOS :D

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
I feel sorry for the Android guys, first because they had to use an inferior product for such a long time and now that they are loosing the smart phone war they will have to rebuy all their apps for iOS :D

You're funny. Product or OS? Define inferior? Also - while you're at it - please define loosing (sic) the smart phone war? Are you oblivious to marketshare around the world? Of which the US is only a small part?

Funny.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.