Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

merik

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 29, 2012
I turned on my iMac as usually but the wifi is VERY slow. I can't even get on the Internet...it takes way too long to load. Last time it was on I downloaded Xcode and that's about it. I download music and games from The Pirate Bay a couple days ago but it still seemed fine after that. Just all of a suddent it stopped working. I've tried deleting all history and stuff with browser, cleaning up with CCleaner, and trying different wifis but nothing is working. I even tried refreshing the ram. Help! D;

Specs:
iMac 27-inch, Late 2012
Processor : 3.4 Intel Core i7
Memory : 8GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Graphics: NVIDA GeForce 675MX 1024MB
Software: OS X 10.8.2 (12C2037)

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I turned on my iMac as usually but the wifi is VERY slow. I can't even get on the Internet...it takes way too long to load. Last time it was on I downloaded Xcode and that's about it. I download music and games from The Pirate Bay a couple days ago but it still seemed fine after that.
Installing pirated software from torrent sites is extremely risky and could introduce malware into your Mac. I highly recommend you never install anything unless it comes from a trusted, reputable source.

If you're having performance issues, this may help:
I've tried deleting all history and stuff with browser, cleaning up with CCleaner,
You don't need to "maintain" your Mac and you don't need "cleaner" or "maintenance" apps like CCleaner to keep your Mac running well. Some of these apps can do more harm than good. Some can even degrade, rather than improve system performance.

Some remove files/folders or unused languages or architectures, which does nothing more than free up some drive space, with the risk of deleting something important in the process. These apps will not make your Mac run faster or more efficiently, since having stuff stored on a drive does not impact performance, unless you're running out of drive space.

Some of these apps delete caches, which can hurt performance, rather than help it, since more system resources are used and performance suffers while each cache is being rebuilt. Caches exist to improve performance, so deleting them isn't advisable in most cases.

Many of the tasks performed by these apps should only be done selectively to troubleshoot specific problems, not en masse as routine maintenance.

Mac OS X does a good job of taking care of itself, without the need for 3rd party software. Among other things, it has its own maintenance scripts that run silently in the background on a daily, weekly and monthly basis, without user intervention. You can use Maintidget to see the last time these scripts were run.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.