Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RobertoooMac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 22, 2013
Hey guys, this is my first post. I was just wondering if anyone could help me out.

I've just ordered a 27" iMac, for use as my home/home studio computer and I plan on buying an 11 inch MacBook Air as my laptop to use at college. I don't really have all the money for it right now, so I'm thinking about buying an iPad mini to use for college light college work in the mean time (note taking, emails, that kind of thing).

What I want to ask is this: do you think I will lose a lot of money if I buy an iPad Mini brand new and come to sell it around June when the new updated MacBook Air comes out? I don't really want to lose a lot of money-it would defeat the object of buying something cheaper to allow myself some time to save up again.

Can anyone kind of put an estimate on how much money I'll probably lose to depreciation?

Thanks for your time, please drop me a response!

Rob :)

chrisrosemusic1

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2012
Northamptonshire, England
Hey guys, this is my first post. I was just wondering if anyone could help me out.

I've just ordered a 27" iMac, for use as my home/home studio computer and I plan on buying an 11 inch MacBook Air as my laptop to use at college. I don't really have all the money for it right now, so I'm thinking about buying an iPad mini to use for college light college work in the mean time (note taking, emails, that kind of thing).

What I want to ask is this: do you think I will lose a lot of money if I buy an iPad Mini brand new and come to sell it around June when the new updated MacBook Air comes out? I don't really want to lose a lot of money-it would defeat the object of buying something cheaper to allow myself some time to save up again.

Can anyone kind of put an estimate on how much money I'll probably lose to depreciation?

Thanks for your time, please drop me a response!

At their price point and Apple's seeming depreciation in iOS devices (just check the 'recycling' companies prices for the i5 -_-) I would imagine you would lose about 1/3 of the new price. There is also the rumours about a retina one in March and you can wave goodbye to at least 50% by then if that happens :)

They are cheap enough to not worry about losing some money - there is also someone out there willing to buy second Apple stuff.

RobertoooMac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 22, 2013
Thanks for your replies:)!

Oooh, march isn't far away. I don't think I'll be buying one of those then!

Prices on the iPad Mini will most likely drop when the retina display model comes out, like you say. I think I'll probably wait until then and make a decision.

Thanks a lot!

Rob

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I know I mentioned it before, but honestly, fore the price of a new Air, you can buy a nice used Air and iPad. You'll have plenty of time to buy new stuff after college.

RobertoooMac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 22, 2013
I know I mentioned it before, but honestly, fore the price of a new Air, you can buy a nice used Air and iPad. You'll have plenty of time to buy new stuff after college.

Yeah, I guess so:). I'd just rather buy the computers while I can afford them-if I go to University next year I won't have hardly any money!

Thanks,

Rob:)

smooth

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2007
Detroit
Do you have a specific need for the iMac? Economically, it would seem to make the most sense to get a MacBook Air and an iPad.

Johnny Steps

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2011
Anything Apple is worth purchasing. Never buy used because the last time one of my friends did that, they ripped on him for being poor. Apple is a premium product, and deserves to be treated as such. Hail Apple.

Che Castro

macrumors 603
May 21, 2009
Anything Apple is worth purchasing. Never buy used because the last time one of my friends did that, they ripped on him for being poor. Apple is a premium product, and deserves to be treated as such. Hail Apple.

Refurb from apple is good

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008

How old are your friends? 12?

RobertoooMac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 22, 2013
Do you have a specific need for the iMac? Economically, it would seem to make the most sense to get a MacBook Air and an iPad.

Yeah, I'm using it for Music production-I need the larger screen, more RAM etc.

JoshMKB24

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2013
Midwest

Coming from someone who has spent about 10k with Apple in the last year and buys premium brands in everything.......your friends sound like dicks. Ripping on someone for their financial status is pretty low. I'm looking for a used Gallardo.......I suppose that makes me poor for not looking for new :rolleyes:

To the OP, I would just wait, even if you have the cash on hand is there a point? I know you say you are using it for music production, but you are also going to school. What about just getting like a 15" rMBP? Logic Pro works just fine on that or whatever music production software you want and then you could consolidate your costs into 1.

Roessnakhan

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2007
ABQ

tumblr_lxwpjuOQPR1qae7ag.jpg

macs4nw

macrumors 601
.....I know you say you are using it for music production, but you are also going to school. What about just getting like a 15" rMBP? Logic Pro works just fine on that or whatever music production software you want and then you could consolidate your costs into 1.

Maybe I misunderstood, but I thought the OP said, he needed the MBA as his laptop at college, and the iPad Mini for note-taking, e-mails etc. Unless he needs that laptop for Logic Pro, he can get a 'brand-spankin' new Air+Mini for less than the cost of a 15" rMBP. Like some others have suggested, I also advise him, with either scenario, to sit tight for a few months, as all of APPLE's MBAs and MBPs are likely to be updated at that time, or if he's desperate, get a used iPad for the meantime. And who knows, both the Air and the Mini might even get Retina at that time as well.

JoshMKB24

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2013
Midwest
Maybe I misunderstood, but I thought the OP said, he needed the MBA as his laptop at college, and the iPad Mini for note-taking, e-mails etc. Unless he needs that laptop for Logic Pro, he can get a 'brand-spankin' new Air+Mini for less than the cost of a 15" rMBP. Like some others have suggested, I also advise him, with either scenario, to sit tight for a few months, as all of APPLE's MBAs and MBPs are likely to be updated at that time, or if he's desperate, get a used iPad for the meantime. And who knows, both the Air and the Mini might even get Retina at that time as well.

Haha I just reread it and how I took it as, was he wanted the MBA for his college classes and note taking, but would settle for a mini for the time being.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.