Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rjc74

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2011
Portland, OR
no he experiences the exact same thing as me. Its where the backlight completely shuts off. Like no joke. Next time it happens I'm taking a pic of it.

My iPhone 5 will sometimes just have no backlight until I slightly move the slider in the options.. then it returns.

I thought I was the only one lulz so didn't bring it up. Guess not. But it does happen to me as well. I don't have auto brightness on.

EXACTLY! That's why I originally said that I'm done chalking it up to fluke occurrences and giving Apple the benefit of the doubt. I love Apple, and I will have to take other's at their word that other phones are worse because I've only owned iPhones since 2007. So, I'm VERY qualified to state that the iPhone 5 is the glitchiest of them ALL. I have a right to be disappointed. :p

----------

You get an replacement phone from Apple under your warranty.

This seems like the obvious choice, especially since I also have AppleCare, however, there are 2 iPhone 5's in my household. And guess what? They both have the same problems. So, I'm not confident that a replacement will remedy the situation, but perhaps I should try.

Mr. Retrofire

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2010
www.emiliana.cl/en
I feel sorry for the Android guys, first because they had to use an inferior product for such a long time and now that they are loosing the smart phone war they will have to rebuy all their apps for iOS :D
Yeah, the business people who use(d) Android smartphones “lost the smart phone war”. Sure. The have nothing better to do! Sure.

Man, is this the “MacRumors for uneducated kids” sub-forum, or what!?

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Of course Apple can't keep up the same profit growth. That's an exponential game and frankly, it's not sustainable for anyone. There just comes a point when your growth will slow down, even if your profits climb by more net dollars.

For illustration, to keep 20% annual growth in iPhone sales, Apple would have to sell one iPhone to each person on earth each quarter in 2040.

tevion5

macrumors 68000
Jul 12, 2011
Ireland
The fact that iOS is only available on iPhone 5 and 4s and android is available on many other phones doesn't that mean that apple is doing well because they cannot distribute iOS on many phones like android. correct me if I'm wrong.

Yes I think you are, Apple can only distribute iOS to all it's products.

Nobody can distribute Android. ;)

archipellago

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2008
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/01/22/iphone_ahead_us_android_ahead_in_europe/

iPhone hangs on in US, Japan, but EVERYONE ELSE bought an Android

Smartphone wars: WinPhone got some love in Blighty, but it's bad news for RIM

By Anna Leach • Get more from this author

Posted in Mobile, 22nd January 2013 17:13 GMT

A day before Apple's quarterly results land, Tim Cook will also have to deal with the some unwelcome stats on iOS smartphone market share, showing that the iPhone still trails Android in all markets but the US and Japan.

The US remains Apple's global heartland, and Christmas sales stats from consumer group Kantar World Panel saw iPhone retain its smartphone crown in the US - but this year it edged up a healthy 6 per cent to take 51.2 per cent of the market. Android mobes lingered at 44.2 per cent of the market share, down a sliver of a percentage point from 44.8 last year.

But Android sales were up everywhere else, and the Google operating system holds 72.5 per cent market share in China, the world's second biggest smartphone market after the States. Android was also top in Britain, Spain, Australia and Germany in sales for those three months.

Europeans keen on Windows mobes

Windows Mobile clocked up an impressive 13.9 per cent of smartphone sales in Italy, and 5.9 percent of sales in Britain for three months before Christmas. Otherwise Microsoft's WinPhone handsets barely made a ripple in Christmas sales.

Windows smartphones only scooped 2.6 per cent of sales in the US, though that did put the mobile operating system in third place ahead of BlackBerry.

This year's news wasn't great for RIM, which was down to 1.1 per cent of sales in the US, from 6.1 percent for the same period last year. RIM netted exactly 0.0 per cent of sales in China. You were most likely to see a new BlackBerry in the UK, where 6.4 per cent of purchased smartphones were BBs, but it's still a heady fall on the 16 per cent from the same three months in 2011.

Older, cheaper iPhones were an important part of iOS sales, says analyst Mary-Ann Parlato, which may make Tim Cook think again about whether to release a cheap iPhone.

“Apple’s continual improvement is thanks to both the iPhone 5 and older models attracting various customer groups," said Parlato, "from repeat Apple buyers, first time smartphone buyers and those coming from other smartphone brands”.

The data is derived from Kantar Worldpanel ComTech research. The data focused on smartphone sales in the 12 weeks to Christmas. ®

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
The sad thing is if they don't do that, some will say they're doomed!

What most companies do actually is open new segments to continue their growth. However, Apple is in a particular bind in that they've grown so massively because of the iPhone, they absolutely have to nail the next big growth sector (like smartphones have been for the last 5 years) because as the smartphone market matures, potential growth will diminish and even stagnate.

No one can grow indefinately if they don't diversify. Apple right now is pretty much a 2 trick pony, iPhones and iPads being 70% of their revenue. Throw in Macs, and you've got close to 85%.

cappadonna

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2013
What most companies do actually is open new segments to continue their growth. However, Apple is in a particular bind in that they've grown so massively because of the iPhone, they absolutely have to nail the next big growth sector (like smartphones have been for the last 5 years) because as the smartphone market matures, potential growth will diminish and even stagnate.

No one can grow indefinately if they don't diversify. Apple right now is pretty much a 2 trick pony, iPhones and iPads being 70% of their revenue. Throw in Macs, and you've got close to 85%.

They definitely need to diversify. I just meant sustained growth at their previous pace is impossible. If Apple doesn't push the boundaries with new tech, they will be doomed. But the culture that if Apple doesn't make 80 billion dollars a qtr means they're doomed doesn't make sense.

Apple needs to innovate or give us another wow product to continue growing. They don't need to double profits every three months like some think they should.

They're doing pretty darn well :D

npro1464

macrumors member
Mar 15, 2011
Lots of those sales are from older iPhones. Dopey old people burn their upgrades on 3gses until a few months ago when they stopped offering them. I want to know how the S3 totals stack up against the iphone 5.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
again, where's all the reports stating that android is dominating and apple is on the downfall?

looks like apple is doing just fine, but i do think that they need to continue to make changes at a fast pace to keep up and stay up

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
3 devices own over half the market? Amazing.

I can believe this though. Everywhere I go I see tons of iPhones (mainly the 4/4S). Not too many 5's until just recently.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
They definitely need to diversify. I just meant sustained growth at their previous pace is impossible. If Apple doesn't push the boundaries with new tech, they will be doomed. But the culture that if Apple doesn't make 80 billion dollars a qtr means they're doomed doesn't make sense.

Apple needs to innovate or give us another wow product to continue growing. They don't need to double profits every three months like some think they should.

They're doing pretty darn well :D

It doesn't mean they're doomed at all. It might mean though that they'll have a few years of rougher waters in regards to investors while they adjust to new market realities (tablet/smartphone sectors becoming mature and growth being more a game of competitive offerings vs simple segment growth), emerging segments being tougher to crack and "nail", or simply out of their reach because they're not Apple's core competency (cloud computing comes to mind).

----------

again, where's all the reports stating that android is dominating and apple is on the downfall?

IDC and Gartner's worldwide numbers paint a much different picture, with Android looming around 70% market share and Apple in the teens. These same analysts firm still confirm the close to 50-50 split for iOS and Android in the states.

Read the above linked piece from the Register.

cappadonna

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2013
It doesn't mean they're doomed at all. It might mean though that they'll have a few years of rougher waters in regards to investors while they adjust to new market realities (tablet/smartphone sectors becoming mature and growth being more a game of competitive offerings vs simple segment growth), emerging segments being tougher to crack and "nail", or simply out of their reach because they're not Apple's core competency (cloud computing comes to mind).

True, doomed was a poor choice of word. If they don't push the boundaries, they'll just experience some rough waters as you said.

For me, I'm rooting for them. I think cook is doing a fine job and hopefully the earnings call today will quell some investor fears and let Apple go back to what they're good at.

I'm hoping for a great 2013 from them.

chagla

macrumors 6502a
Mar 21, 2008

Attachments

• idc-1351821220.png
    idc-1351821220.png
    81.8 KB · Views: 141
Last edited:

linuxcooldude

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2010
Actually, it is. The more market share a platform garners, the more developers are willing to dedicate their time and resources to building great apps for that platform.

Devs have been flocking in drones to iOS for years because of the large market that exists thanks to Apple's market share. Meanwhile, RIM is literally writing checks out of their own pocket to entice developers to do half-assed ports of their apps to BB10.

Open the app store on all three platforms and say that it doesn't matter. It does.

Developers will go for what is more profitable. Not necessarily what has more market share.

Open the app store on all three platforms and say that it doesn't matter. It does.

I say it won't matter if it does not sell more of their hardware. They learned their lesson last time when they sold their Mac operating system for third party systems. It canibilized their computer sales. Same thing applies here.

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
I'd rather see a poll that shows they have the highest quality phones instead. I've been a fan and have had every iPhone since the first model in 2007. Nobody had them and it felt like the coolest thing around. I waited up until midnight last September to be one of the first customers to order the iPhone 5. It has so many glitches (Hardware? Software? Both?) that I'm done giving them the benefit of the doubt thinking each instance is a fluke occurrence. To name a few, sometimes the screen just dims itself all the way down but when I open brightness settings, the slider is still all the way to the right. If I manipulate the slider the brightness returns, I'm CONSTANTLY dropping LTE in downtown Portland, OR. Now I get that this could be the fault of my provider, AT&T, but during the time it takes to switch antennas it will sometimes get hung up on NO SERVICE and require a reboot. The last thing I feel like mentioning is that iOS 6 crashes. Often. I don't recall ANY of my other iPhones ever rebooting themselves.

Oh yeah! One more thing. When I answer a call and say "hello", most times I hear nothing because the caller never heard my first "hello" so I have to repeat myself. None of my other iPhones had this delay in connecting the call. What can I do? I'm locked in for 18 more months. Ugh. It's obvious that they are making a ton of phones because the quality has turned to %^#!.

Same here but I started with the 3G, now both Wife and I got them on release day, her phone always goes into LTE, mine rarely did. Apple reset the phone made me wait a week to replace. Now second phone standing side by side with her, I have 4G she has LTE, both of us on AT&T, sim replaced etc etc. I think the quality of the 5 is the worst I have ever had, the paint is rubbing off my black phone on the side just sitting in the case, Apple claims they know nothing about this issue...

I will never leave AT&T, and no way on Windows phone or BB, but I am considering either Samsung GSIII, GSIV when it comes out, or maybe Note II, unless they do something spectacular this year with the new phone and iOS which I am skeptical they will.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.