Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
There is zero innovation in this if this pos "Math" becomes a reality. Let's keep stretchin' it! Make it in Pink! Woo!

thelink

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2012
Reminds me of the iPhone 10
4875b048

tlevier

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2010
Littleton, CO
Here's the deal

1) I know nothing

2) If I wanted to speculate on rumors, i'd try to make them sound more plausible, not less

3) More plausible is never repeating "math" again and begin referring to it as iPhone+. I'm sure there's some symbol based language where the + actually translates to "math". I'm probably wrong.

4) When Apple was running the advertisement about how the thumb of 1 hand holding the iPhone 5 stretched from one corner to the next without having to over extend, I thought, well, that's cool. But what if you're holding it sideways? Then there's a lot of extra room that's wasted and you can't stretch all the way across. So, I would bank on it getting wider (and maybe taller) but I would wager that they do something like "adjustable icons". Could be a handicap setting like "use larger icons" and it's 4x5. Or use smaller icons and it's 5x6. Eventually, I'd think they'd allow you to set a different icon size for each app individually based on your preferences and the importance of the app.

Mike MA

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2012
Germany
Not sure if its just me but i find it really sad that the "big thing" (mockup video or not) of a new bigger screen for an iPhone is yet ANOTHER row of apps.

Exactly, I don't see any added value for a phone device - if they want more space for some apps, go get an iPad Mini.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
I remember people saying that about the iPhone 5 :rolleyes: Look how well that has sold :rolleyes:

Yes - but that was to accommodate a 16:9 (or near enough) aspect ratio, and the first screen size change ever for the iPhone line.

It would be ridiculous to change it again so soon after, and make the aspect ratio which is nothing near any kind of standard.

SpectatorHere

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2010
It's not even just boring, a lot of native apps on iOS just have bad interface compared to the new apps that are coming out on both iOS and android.

They really need to revamp the next iOS.

iOS is fine, the Android community would b*tch about it regardless. iOS isn't the problem. These are the problems:

1. It's very hard to distinguish between models yet owners are expected to upgrade regularly. If you want people to upgrade you had better give them something that's easily recognizable as new.

2. Marketing/Ads and sh#t. They need to go back to selling the brand and be exciting, rebellious, and cool. Instead, they show features, they have old people and kids in them. Seriously folks, they have an ad about a second microphone...a second microphone.

3. Return to a regular update cycle and don't do stuff like the iPad 3 which was only out a few months.

4. Wow people. Apple used to know how to blow people away with artistic design. I like my iPhone 5, it's the best iPhone I've owned, but it looks weird. The iPhone and iPhone 4 were obviously Apple and obviously cool/different. The iPhone 5 is half-as#ed.

There are too many iPhone users out there right now for Apple to stop selling it's brand as new and exciting. Old people and kids do own a ton of Apple products, but that doesn't mean you should change the brand image from young, hip, and outsider.

Here's hoping someone from Apple pulls a coup and gets Tim Cook fired...he clearly doesn't get it.

----------

With a screen this large, you might as well look into getting an iPad mini.

Get used to it, the next iPhone design (hopefully this year, but likely not) will be 4.5-5.0".

So many people in these forums don't understand that for the great majority of people, their phone is their primary gateway to the Internet. Their primary form of communication is texting, email, facebook updates, and twitter. FAR down the list are phone calls and email.

There are plenty of small phones that already exist...go use one, they were invented in 1998. Today's smartphones are not phones in the traditional sense at all.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
The whole purpose of a 5" or larger screen isn't just to put the same grid of icons and terrible usability on it. Give us some widgets or allow us to actually SEE some things right from the home screen.

Don't just make the icons bigger and cram more of them on the screen like on the current models.

If you're simply looking at the homescreen all day... you're doing it wrong.

Open an app once in a while.

A bigger screen will show a bigger image. The keyboard will be a little larger. Movies will be larger. Games will be larger.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
iOS REALLY needs a UI revamp.

Same UI since 2007.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-01-22 at 11.12.37 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-01-22 at 11.12.37 PM.png
    565.6 KB · Views: 243

xkmxkmxlmx

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2011
Isn't it rather pointless to show the size of something online without a known object (dvd case, iphone 4 or 5, etc) object next to it for comparison?

Renzatic

Suspended
I miss the days when phones were getting smaller every year…

The trend towards smaller was a good thing, back when all you expected to do with your phone was make calls and maybe text someone.

These days, calling and texting are practically secondary features on a smartphone. Now, they're expected to be web browsers, movie players, document and ebook readers, game consoles...

...things that are (arguably) better done on larger screens.

albusseverus

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2007
I miss the days when phones were getting smaller every year…

But the internet gets bigger every year, and phones just have to get bigger, to fit it all in.

----------

Isn't it rather pointless to show the size of something online without a known object (dvd case, iphone 4 or 5, etc) object next to it for comparison?

Or at least an iPhone 5 beside it, instead of morphing into it at the beginning.

Just for fun, add a 4 beside the 5 and the Math - would show how far we've come.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.