Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
No the iPhone is not boring - people who say so just need to download a new app/game

Actually, they need to get out more. Too many people using the iPhone as a substitute for a hobby, hence why we have so many "bored" with the iPhone and wanting a revamped iOS (don't count on it given that all the Mac OS X iterations have remained essentially unchanged). It's nothing more than a tool.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
People want this feature and that feature and forget these are just tools and entertainment devices.

At the end of the day the iPhone has a decent feature set for which apps can use, and there aren't really that many things it can't do.

chakraj

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2008
So Cal
yes, boooooooooorrrrrrrriiiiiiiiinnnnnngggggggg

I guess it must be me, since all of you are happy with an old stale OS.

Maybe I am asking to much because I want the largest and richest corporation in the world to spend a few dollars on R$D.

They can just mix up a big batch of cool-aid and you all would be happy. LOL

MatLane

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2008
England, United Kingdom
yes, boooooooooorrrrrrrriiiiiiiiinnnnnngggggggg

I guess it must be me, since all of you are happy with an old stale OS.

Maybe I am asking to much because I want the largest and richest corporation in the world to spend a few dollars on R$D.

They can just mix up a big batch of cool-aid and you all would be happy. LOL

Happy trolling

Hope you had a nice puffmass

oh and happy new queer!

chakraj

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2008
So Cal
Yes that was a great retort. Any non apple perspective is insulted. You sound like you are defending a cult, no logical defense so ATTACK!!

:D:apple:

roberthalles

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2013
Macland
new?

A lot of different people use the iPhone. They all have different needs and wants concerning application and feature sets.

The designers are probably trying to get a set of features that appeals to the largest slice of their potential buyers. From that stand point they have done a good job as shown by their sales numbers.

It seems that the public is now expecting a "new" iPhone every year, really how big a feature set do you need till it becomes too much?

All this is going to become commoditized in the near future, Apple must know this. Soon it will be just another small flat cube object that you use as a phone, camera, game console, etc. - very little real difference between any of them. Actually it is starting to happen now.

If Apple still wants to grow, they are going to have to get away from the small flat cube object, and make a new format.

Google is actually further ahead in this with their glasses concept, but time will tell. Don't know if Apple still has the ability to play that kind of risk approach to product development. Steve Jobs did, but now?

MatLane

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2008
England, United Kingdom
Yes that was a great retort. Any non apple perspective is insulted. You sound like you are defending a cult, no logical defense so ATTACK!!

:D:apple:

I am a Apple pro user, i use apple day in and day out. For me, i have never had a problem and Apple suits my lifestyle. If the iPhone is boring to you, thats not a problem, your entitled to opinion eh? Look at most of the modern phones that are competing with the iPhone. Most of them try, some do succeed to a degree, the s3 has some interesting features but this is what people forget. Most people buy into apple for a reason....build quality, ecosystem and that fact that everything works together (very well) but its not for everyone. The iPhone is without a doubt the most reliable phone on the market, most professionals will agree on that as most media and tech companies have confirmed...but again if you are bored of the iPhone and its wonderful ecosystem there is always Android. Android has got better, a lot better over the years but its still not as user friendly as it should be

----------

Infact, on that note i am actually quite intrigued with Windows Phone. I feel they have taken a step in the right direction, still not quite right but its good to see some nice competition from Microsoft

I prefer Windows phone to Android anyday of the week

:apple:

chakraj

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2008
So Cal
I am a Apple pro user, i use apple day in and day out. For me, i have never had a problem and Apple suits my lifestyle. If the iPhone is boring to you, thats not a problem, your entitled to opinion eh? Look at most of the modern phones that are competing with the iPhone. Most of them try, some do succeed to a degree, the s3 has some interesting features but this is what people forget. Most people buy into apple for a reason....build quality, ecosystem and that fact that everything works together (very well) but its not for everyone. The iPhone is without a doubt the most reliable phone on the market, most professionals will agree on that as most media and tech companies have confirmed...but again if you are bored of the iPhone and its wonderful ecosystem there is always Android. Android has got better, a lot better over the years but its still not as user friendly as it should be

----------

Infact, on that note i am actually quite intrigued with Windows Phone. I feel they have taken a step in the right direction, still not quite right but its good to see some nice competition from Microsoft

I prefer Windows phone to Android anyday of the week

:apple:

Well thank you for a well put together response.

I was with apple up to the iphone 5, I just couldnt keep doing the same old thing. Im using a note 2 now and LOVE it!

If apple comes with a much bigger screen I will give them a chance, Im not anti apple, I was just very bored after four years of the same.

MatLane

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2008
England, United Kingdom
Well thank you for a well put together response.

I was with apple up to the iphone 5, I just couldnt keep doing the same old thing. Im using a note 2 now and LOVE it!

If apple comes with a much bigger screen I will give them a chance, Im not anti apple, I was just very bored after four years of the same.

Forgive me foe the joke earlier, how childish of me, maybe its a bit of fanboy thats left in me from 2008??

Anyway. I understand that. A lot of people do like change, something different and thats great. I did have a go on a note and quite enjoyed it, i prefer the iPad, but again! its up to you and its up to the individual.

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
People want new things and big phones.

Apple should realize this (already a little too late).

They did it with the iPad Mini, they're going to do it again with the iPhone. Different sizes suite different needs that suite different people.

chakraj

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2008
So Cal
Forgive me foe the joke earlier, how childish of me, maybe its a bit of fanboy thats left in me from 2008??

Anyway. I understand that. A lot of people do like change, something different and thats great. I did have a go on a note and quite enjoyed it, i prefer the iPad, but again! its up to you and its up to the individual.

Its OK, my first post was quite a smart ass post, so I am cool. I have thick skin.;)

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
Getting a new iphone is a bit like getting a new Mac; it is all exciting and different on the outside but when you start it up you can't help feeling a bit disappointed that it's the same as your previous one (performance aside). With phones I got used to upgrading every 12 months to something new and exciting but I've had an iphone 3G for 4 years now and I'm yet to get excited about a new release.

I'm a photographer so i'm thinking about a Galaxy Note to show off my work. I know it won't work as well as an iphone but at least it offers something new.

I'm genuinely curious. How is the 3G holding up for you? I find it very intriguing you've managed to get it to last this long. Kudos to you.

chakraj

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2008
So Cal
I'm a photographer so i'm thinking about a Galaxy Note to show off my work. I know it won't work as well as an iphone but at least it offers something new.

the Note 2 is awesome, and I feel it works better in every way, yes even smoothness.

I do have a custom Rom and Kernel on it so that may be part of the reason it is so blazing fast.

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
Just came across this article http://www.cultofmac.com/211221/is-apple-really-failing/, the folks at cult of mac put some good arguments. i for one am happy with the current gen iphone and i don't think it has not lost its appeal since the day i bought it, I would like to others opinions about the article.

Interesting article and I sort of agree, Apple was the Shiznit up to 2011, but now they are getting serious competition. Apple has always said it is our way and that is that, never bent to customers demands, however with everyone around them building devices with new features, they have no choice but to join in. I for one have always loved their phones, however I have found the iOS extremely boring lately.

I am looking for them to wow us with some big changes, but we get incremental updates each year, and now with the Samsung SGIII and Note II it is time for the creative juices to start flowing from Apple.

The other thing they will eventually have to adjust to is their way or the highway mentality, and the day of jamming it to carriers for $500 or so for each phone? If I were a carrier and had the ability to spend less and not make as much off a phone, but not have to sweat my lungs off bc I have to pay $500 to Apple for a phone i sell for $199.

I for one want a phone every two years that is interesting, and stable, not sure I will sway from the iPhone, but I see others around me moving to Android because of the tight features of iOS and Apple, and the fact that you are locked into not being able to use an SD card and having to spend $100 or $200 more for 32 gb or 64gb when you can buy the 16 version on the GSIII and then add a micro sd card for more space.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
I don't find it stale or boring at all.

But I do have a very big complaint about it's tiny screen.

If the iPhone Math rumor is true, it will be one of the smartest moves Apple has made in a while.

Even if they are copying Samsung....

I bet Samsung won't sue Apple either :eek:

Toops

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2012
Wished apple create something to instantly take down people's contact information rather than whipping out the phone, unlocking it the. Going to contacts and typing in the information... Would be really useful when I need to enter new people into my contact and it's more than 1 person.

steveash

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2008
UK
I'm genuinely curious. How is the 3G holding up for you? I find it very intriguing you've managed to get it to last this long. Kudos to you.

My eyes have got used to big pixels! It slowed down after iOS 4 but still going strong! I keep it in a case so it still looks fine. I have found that a few apps are not compatible but day to day I mostly just use Safari, Calendar and Mail.

kylera

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2010
Seoul
Is there really a need to re-invent, or even re-vamp?

I think we've come to the point now that smartphones are no longer a novelty item, and developers have come up with and are coming up with all manners of apps that allow various tasks to be done.

Some people like to buy new phones because they want to experiment with new features, and that's fine. Others, however, don't see the need for change if they have achieved a productive routine with their current equipment.

nightlong

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
Australia
I'm not a phone expert, the iPhone5 is my first smart phone. I don't think it is boring and what I love most is how the phone, iPads and Air connect, via cloud and Dropbox. And so many great apps. If Apple makes radical changes all the time, it will cause havoc for people who use their products as a system. I hope they will improve current OSX and iOS software before they do anything too radical, there's plenty of scope for improving the operating systems!

wxman2003

Suspended
Apr 12, 2011
If you think a phone is boring, then it's time for a life adjustment. Read a book. Volunteer. Do something meaningful, and life, along with inanimate objects, will not be boring.:rolleyes:

Timechaser

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2010
The iPhone is like the JEEP

I say this because even though there are many different SUV's on the market that sell very well the JEEP has always been a little different. Chrysler updates the JEEP every few years but no matter what you will know a JEEP when you see it. You cant mixup the JEEP with any other SUV on the road. People who own them love them.

But why would the average person buy one every year or two just to get a subtle new "curve in the quater panel", "tweek to the instrument gauge", or just the new "re-designed armrest?

JEEP sales have been great and they have at times been poor. Just a few years ago Chrysler was headed for bankruptsy because of poor sales. It is because of the NEW DESIGN that the JEEP is once again selling well.

I have had every iPhone made, even stood in the long lines to be one of the first to have them. But when I got my hands on the iPhone 5 it was the first time that I felt like I was wasting money for buying a phone that did not feel like a new phone to me.

In years past I have always enjoyed shoping for cell phones and would have no problem changing carriers to try a new phone - thats how I ended up with AT&T. I would buy a new phone almost every year and back then a new phone was a NEW PHONE TO ME not just something with a resized home button. I was'nt shoping specs I was shopping for a new and fresh experince.

I returned the iPhone 5 because it did not feel like a new phone. I have loved the iPhones - I just want one now that really feels like a NEW iPhone on the inside and out side.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.