Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Talos6608

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 22, 2013
I currently have an iPhone 4 with a spotty home button and am wondering if I should upgrade to the iPhone 5 or wait until the 5S. Do you all think the 5S can bring anything truly gamechanging that will make me mad that I jumped for the 5 now instead of waiting 5 months.

-Talos

nellyplatinum

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2012
I currently have an iPhone 4 with a spotty home button and am wondering if I should upgrade to the iPhone 5 or wait until the 5S. Do you all think the 5S can bring anything truly gamechanging that will make me mad that I jumped for the 5 now instead of waiting 5 months.

-Talos

honestly jumping from the 4 to 5 is a big difference,you will be happy and i just dont feel there will be much of a difference from the 5 to 5s...my opinion

rsnapeuk

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2011
I upgraded from the 4S to the 5. And I'm honest I prefer the 4.

Here's why: The anodised design. Like many users I like to use my iPhone naked in order to take true advantage of its design and the freedom a caseless phone offers.

Because of the anodises design, (which sure does like real neat when not damaged) it means the phone has to be cased all times which really pisses me off.

I think the resolution of the screen is unpractical. It should be larger in its width too.

Personally I wish I'd kept with the 5.

honestly jumping from the 4 to 5 is a big difference,you will be happy and i just dont feel there will be much of a difference from the 5 to 5s...my opinion

You can't make that judgement yet.

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007

-Talos

The home button was broken on my iPhone 4 and I had it replaced for $50 at a reputable 3rd party repair shop. You can just have the home button replaced if you really want to use the 4.

If you live and work/study in an LTE area then yes, the 5 is worth the upgrade given that you browse the web a lot on your phone. Also if your router is compatible you can really notice the difference in the dual band wi-fi speeds. Lastly the screen is actually much nicer on the 5 compared to the 4/4S. Whites are whiter and colors are more alive.

I echo the opinion that a case is a must on the 5 due to the anodized aluminum. If you get the white model then perhaps this isn't as necessary.

mdlooker

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2011
US
I jumped from the 4 to 5 and the speed alone was like whoah!! I use Siri every now and then, mainly for caller her names. The camera is better and the panorama feature is pretty cool. I use all of the same apps so no huge difference there.

Overall I'm glad I upgraded because using 3G in a non-lte area really sucks!! You'd be faster using a pigeon to deliver and seek information.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
I went from a 4 to a 5 despite thinking that it might not be worth it. I was wrong.

4g speeds alone were a big step up from 3g - I found myself using the phone to look up many things that would just take a bit too long before. They just lit up LTE now and I now have real broadband on my phone. Unbelievable.

Overall the phone is just much snappier and the extra screen real estate and camera all make going back even to my wife's 4s hard.

Bonus was that I paid $329 for a refurbed 64 gig and sold my 4 in a few days for $250.

sdilley14

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2007
Mesa, AZ
I upgraded from the 4 to the 5 last month...absolutely worth the upgrade. The larger screen, better screen quality, the all black trim/slate backing look great, much improved camera, and it is MUCH, MUCH faster the the IP4 in daily use. I am really glad I waited and made the change.

Also, if you want to look further down the road, if you upgrade now you *should* be in line to upgrade to the IP6 when that drops 12-24 months from now. :)

Juarez7514

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2009
Upgrade

Totally worth the upgrade. Had a 4 and upgraded to the 5. Couldn't be happier. You won't regret it

Newman88

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2010
I went from this 1.jpg to an iPhone 5. i felt the upgrade was a good choice for me. :D

OutSpoken

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
UK
I upgraded from 4 to 5.

Other than a faulty home button, my 4 was still perfect but I wasn't prepared to get it fixed so I decided to just sell it and get as much money for it to put towards the 5.

To be honest, I don't really notice the difference, but that would be mainly down to the fact I don't have a LTE enabled tariff, the only provider of 4G in the UK at the moment is carrier EE, but I refuse to sign upto long length contracts anymore.

The 4 was a fantastic device though, but as a tech addict I wanted to stay ahead, and I figured owning the 4 for 2 years was long enough.

If the rumored 5S brings something worthwhile this year, I will sell my 5 for it. If the changes are minimal like how the 4S was to the 4 IMO, i'll skip it; and wait for the 6 or whatever they call it.

Basically, my concern right now is ios 7 and how compatible it will be with the iPhone 5

Talos6608

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 22, 2013
I guess what I'm asking is if you had a 4 and never knew the wonders of a 5, would you wait for more news to roll out about the Summer 2013 release (5S?) before you upgraded? Do you really think that Apple would make iOS7 only available on 5S products and above? Would Apple alienate people that just bought the 'hot new thing' 3 months ago? With Siri being the biggest improvement when moving from 4 to 4S (other than processor speed, camera, etc) I guess my question is really impossible bc I'm asking you guys to look into the future. Thanks for the help though.

-Talos

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
LTE speeds alone are worth the upgrade

That is if you can get LTE much, and once you do, it chews your battery apart, I liked my 4S the best, was really fast, looks cool, and IMO the 5 is not that impressive, just a bit faster with a .5" larger screen, and with all the issues I had with my 5, it makes the bottom of the iPhone list for me, never had issues with my 3G, 3GS, 4, 4S at all, but my 5 was replaced 2 times. Twice for LTE not working, and keeping it a case the case rubbed off the paint on the phone which is pathetic in my perspective, should have gone for the White this time around.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.