Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ltzraymond

macrumors member
Original poster
May 16, 2008
Hey guys I was wondering where you guys get updates on tech news. I want to be up to date with the latest technology with a decent opinion, unlike CNN.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Mashable has gone downhill. I haven't had the desire to visit that place in a very long time. I feel the same way about The Next Web too. I used to like that place, but their new layout has really ruined the experience for me.

The Verge is made up of a few people that left Engadget and probably a few other places. I really like their editorials. They're a huge breath of fresh air considering I'm so used to the one shot/awful pieces written over at TechCrunch. They're a very quirky bunch too. On The Verge, 90 seconds, and their podcasts are fun. I think the one thing that really makes them stand out is that they don't rely on Facebook/Twitter for interaction and use their own system. There's a lot of us who keep their website open on our browsers 24/7 and comment on pretty much every news story. The forums are really fun to hang out at too. They also have a best writing of the week feature where they pull editorials from around the web for you read then or later on Pocket/Readability/whatever.

I know that sounds like a huge advertisement, hahaha. They also have great mobile apps for Android/iPhone. For being only a site that has been around for a little over a year, they're way ahead of everyone else IMO.

aerok

macrumors 65816
Oct 29, 2011
Mashable has gone downhill. I haven't had the desire to visit that place in a very long time. I feel the same way about The Next Web too. I used to like that place, but their new layout has really ruined the experience for me.

The Verge is made up of a few people that left Engadget and probably a few other places. I really like their editorials. They're a huge breath of fresh air considering I'm so used to the one shot/awful pieces written over at TechCrunch. They're a very quirky bunch too. On The Verge, 90 seconds, and their podcasts are fun. I think the one thing that really makes them stand out is that they don't rely on Facebook/Twitter for interaction and use their own system. There's a lot of us who keep their website open on our browsers 24/7 and comment on pretty much every news story. The forums are really fun to hang out at too. They also have a best writing of the week feature where they pull editorials from around the web for you read then or later on Pocket/Readability/whatever.

I know that sounds like a huge advertisement, hahaha. They also have great mobile apps for Android/iPhone. For being only a site that has been around for a little over a year, they're way ahead of everyone else IMO.

I agree with you about The Verge. Their editorials are truly amazing compared to other tech sites.

adnbek

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2011
Montreal, Quebec
Not necessarily a news site per se since their page is simply a portal to watch or listen to their shows, but love the TWiT network.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Not necessarily a news site per se since their page is simply a portal to watch or listen to their shows, but love the TWiT network.

Oh yeah! I love those guys too. Their keynote coverages are amazing.

EDIT: And lol, wow at TechCrunch just posting this right at this very moment... :rolleyes:

Commenters, We Want You Back

EDIT 2: They removed it a minute later. :p

Last edited:

imaketouchtheme

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2007
Engadget and TUAW are two of my favorites. I also love LifeHacker.

Of course....my MOST favorite would have to be the site in my signature... :p;):eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.