Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

legaleye3000

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 31, 2007
If I chose to backup my iPad to iCloud rather than iTunes, how do I restore a complete iPad backup? Thanks.

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
If I chose to backup my iPad to iCloud rather than iTunes, how do I restore a complete iPad backup? Thanks.

You restore from iCloud from the setup screen before you even get to the Home screen. If you need to restore from an iCloud backup on a device that is already setup, you need to go to Settings>General>Reset>Erase All Content and Settings. This will bring you back to the setup screen you see when you first power on the device. As you go through that setup, you will be prompted to restore from iTunes or restore from iCloud.

milesone

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2013
THATS IF IT DOES RESTORE IT ALL!!! I lost all my notes from icloud and apple can't get them back!!!!!

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
THATS IF IT DOES RESTORE IT ALL!!! I lost all my notes from icloud and apple can't get them back!!!!!

I've never ran across this issue with my notes. They always sync across my Mac, iPad and iPhone. *shrugs*

milesone

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2013
I've never ran across this issue with my notes. They always sync across my Mac, iPad and iPhone. *shrugs*

Yep apparently it is a technical glitch in apple IOS, and the IOS engineers aren't allowed to comment on why it has done it to my notes and systems. 4 hrs on the phone to them and still no better off apart from we are sorry!!!:mad:

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
Yep apparently it is a technical glitch in apple IOS, and the IOS engineers aren't allowed to comment on why it has done it to my notes and systems. 4 hrs on the phone to them and still no better off apart from we are sorry!!!:mad:

It happens. I'm sure Google's cloud offerings aren't perfect either.

kapersang

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2013
The process for restoring an iPad from an iCloud backup begins by wiping the iPad, which puts it into the same clean state it was when you first got it out of the box. But before you take this step, it is a good idea to make sure your iPad is being backed up to the iCloud.
Read more: http://www.restore-iphone-backup.com/

Last edited:

JLily1030

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2013
Chicago
Will it erase my iPad updates as well?

I got a new iPad but since it was on iOS 6.0 & I had my last iPad updated to iOS 6.1 it wouldn't let me back it up to my most recent backup. I'm wondering if I delete everything will it delete the iOS updates? Thanks so much for any help!
:)

You restore from iCloud from the setup screen before you even get to the Home screen. If you need to restore from an iCloud backup on a device that is already setup, you need to go to Settings>General>Reset>Erase All Content and Settings. This will bring you back to the setup screen you see when you first power on the device. As you go through that setup, you will be prompted to restore from iTunes or restore from iCloud.

Cybexdia

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2013
If you had the backup file on your computer it might be possible using 3rd party software to extract the app data for a specific app from the backup and copy it back to the ipad (for example, see http://www.ipadconverter-mac.com/restore-ipad-from-backup/), however this wouldn't be possible if your only backup is in iCloud. As far as I know there is no mechanism to do anything other than restore the entire backup from iCloud.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
I got a new iPad but since it was on iOS 6.0 & I had my last iPad updated to iOS 6.1 it wouldn't let me back it up to my most recent backup. I'm wondering if I delete everything will it delete the iOS updates? Thanks so much for any help!
:)
Erasing an iOS device doesn't change the version of iOS it is running. You would need to update the version of iOS on the new iPad then restore from your backup.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.