Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

hipkey2.jpg
After its announcement at CES earlier this month, Hippih has begun selling its hipKey smart sensor in the U.S. through the Apple Online Store for $90. It launched on European Apple Online Stores back in December, but quickly sold out. It's now back in stock on both the U.S. and European stores.
The hipKey is a high tech way of keeping track of your valuables. Simply attach the device to the item of your choice and you're ready to go. Made of a sculptured one-piece anodized aluminum ring surrounded by high-quality plastic parts, its sleek oval form fits perfectly in your palm or pocket. You can even attach it to your keys.

Alarm mode - Warns you if you forget your iPhone or iPad or if someone attempts to steal it.

Child mode - Alerts you if your child wanders too far away from you.

Motion mode - Put hipKey in your bag and you are alerted if someone moves it.

Find Me mode - Quickly find your iPhone, iPad, or your keys at any time.
The hipKey's battery is supposed to last between two and four weeks between charging. The iPhone app is available free on the App Store, while the device itself is $90 through the Apple Online Store.

Article Link: hipKey Proximity Sensor for iOS Devices Now Available Through Apple Online Store

nissan.gtp

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2007
Virginia
I'd like to have one that I could use for second-factor authentication for secure sites. IE, have to get the fob close, plus provide username/password.

burnside

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2010
I'd like to have one that I could use for second-factor authentication for secure sites. IE, have to get the fob close, plus provide username/password.

That's a really good idea. You would just need some type of bluetooth adapter on your computer/device.

needfx

Suspended
Aug 10, 2010
macrumors apparently

kickstart it!

----------

I like the looks of the app, but Stick N Find is still way cheaper:

http://sticknfind.com

those are actually cool & better suited for this particular use!

Last time the hipkey article came up, some forum users have posted alternatives which in their opinion were more presentable rather than the hipkey (to the day, I disagree). On the other hand, I honestly believe the hipkey is specifically designed to resemble the apple logo (that missing section) creating a subtle & unconscious familiarity to it.

--edit
even their promo product positioning is set with the gap towards the right.
http://www.hippih.com/hipkey#demos

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-01-23 at 1.26.30 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-01-23 at 1.26.30 AM.png
    110.5 KB · Views: 156
Last edited:

JPOWA

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2010
I like the looks of the app, but Stick N Find is still way cheaper:

http://sticknfind.com

But Stick N Find does not have the same features!

You can't use Stick N Find to locate your phone or to know if your phone gone out of range because someone has grab it...

hipKey is a diferente and more complete product ;)

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007

You can't use Stick N Find to locate your phone or to know if your phone gone out of range because someone has grab it...

But way too pricey. If it was $30-$35, I could agree that's it a comparable product.

I'll have to think about the stick and find... I could put them on my wallet, on my keys, on some particularly easy to lose remotes, etc...

rnizlek

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2004
Washington, DC
I have been waiting for something like this for a while... I ordered one tonight. Expensive, yes, but will save me plenty of headaches down the road. I'll primarily use it for my keys, but when I travel I will switch it to my camera bag. It may be $90, but if I had this a few years ago I might still have about $700 worth of camera equipment I once left on a train.

burnside

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2010

You can't use Stick N Find to locate your phone

You can just use Find My iPhone from your web browser or another iOS device. Once you get out of that 50m range, hipkey will not help.

----------

Hipkey is also quite large which narrows down the number of applications it can be used as a finder. You wouldn't be attaching this to your remote control for instance. Here is a good reference photo for size.

hipkey-4_3_r536_c534.jpg

Myiphone7

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2010
It's cool and I want to buy but I don't lose my stuff. The remotes on the couch. Keys don't run away. And my iPhone 5 doesn't jump out of my pocket.

Smigit

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2011
Wouldn't be surprised if its already possible. I was on site at a client for an IT arrangement about 18 months ago, and he showed me how he had his Windows Mobile 6.5 phone set up such that by putting it within range of his laptop would unlock the laptop. Probably used bluetooth to do it.

If he left the room with his phone, his laptop would lock itself.

Not the exact same concept, but it's close enough to make me think someone would have something similar.

That demo he gave me had nothing to do with my work, it just came up in general chin wag so I can't recall what he used to do it....and I can't imagine to many people here are rocking Windows Mobile 6.5 devices anyway.

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina

Agreed. hipKey can actually... you know... deter a thief in the act of swiping your bag/item/precioussss. I so like the detect motion feature.

However.... battery needs recharging every couple of weeks? Errrm...

Darvon Olestra

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2012
Hippih

> After its announcement at CES earlier this month, Hippih has begun selling its hipKey

Hippih. It's like Kitteh.

remidrozd

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2011
This sounds like a devices that really solves an existing problem. When I can't find my keys it's usually bc I'm so busy I don't notice where I drop then as I run in the house. A quick fix to the problem will be very valuable to me. I just bought one. Est delivery 29th.

doctor-don

macrumors 68000
Dec 26, 2008
Georgia USA
$90 because you won't make the effort to make a place to put your keys EVERY time you walk in your abode?

Twenty years ago I bought a device that would alert me when my daughter got more than 10-15 feet away. It cost me $15. Pin it to her and turn it on when we got out of the car.

Another device for my wife was a device that went on her key ring. A shrill whistle and the thing started beeping.

When my daughter dropped her cell phone several years ago at night while a group of was walking, she didn't realize it until we were driving home. We went back and listened while I called her phone. We retraced our steps and located the phone behind some shrubbery where it had landed.

My wife left her phone in the stall at Elvis' birthplace in Tupelo. Someone turned it in and called me while we were about a hundred miles away. That person mailed it to us. Not everyone is a thief.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.