Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ImaWizard

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2013
Michigan USA
Like was mentioned before, the RAM you linked to is CL9, where as the Apple stock RAM is CL11. So if you are replacing all the RAM then that is no problem, but if you are just adding on to the stock, there is no reason to spend more on the faster CL9. It will function just fine either way, but to get the best performance you would want to swap the stock with new.

drkmnx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2013
thank you guys !

i wanted to know is compatible or not. because i am going to buy 32GB cl9 rams so i learned something from you.thank you again.

----------

Like was mentioned before, the RAM you linked to is CL9, where as the Apple stock RAM is CL11. So if you are replacing all the RAM then that is no problem, but if you are just adding on to the stock, there is no reason to spend more on the faster CL9. It will function just fine either way, but to get the best performance you would want to swap the stock with new.

i need to know this. thank you for sharing .

Peakbagger

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2012
Montreal
Interesting... just installed 16GB HyperX PnP CL9 and left the stock RAM CL11 and everything runs at 1600mhz. :)

Last edited:

large farva

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2013
Melbourne, FL
What is everyone's opinion, on which RAM is best, brand-wise. I have always used Crucial when upgrading RAM. I was thinking about possibly going with Kingston Hyper-X this time, but I ran it by someone and they told me to stay away from Kingston. Now, I know sometimes RAM won't work as good with one computer as it will another. So let's say, the Late-2012 27" iMac.

ImaWizard

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2013
Michigan USA
What is everyone's opinion, on which RAM is best, brand-wise. I have always used Crucial when upgrading RAM. I was thinking about possibly going with Kingston Hyper-X this time, but I ran it by someone and they told me to stay away from Kingston. Now, I know sometimes RAM won't work as good with one computer as it will another. So let's say, the Late-2012 27" iMac.

In my limited experience, you can't go wrong with the 2 C's. Crucial & Corsair. Never had a problem with either.

large farva

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2013
Melbourne, FL
I really think I'm going to go ahead and go with the Kingston HyperX PnP RAM. I've heard nothing but good things about it in relation to Macs recently. Also, my friend that told me to stay away from Kingston, well, he's a complete moron and also says that "Mac's are useless and garbage", which shows that his opinions are crap, cancelling out his opinion on the Kingston HyperX RAM, lol. One thing is for sure though, the Crucial 16GB (2 x 8GB) RAM Kits are quite a bit cheaper than the HyperX PnP 16GB RAM Kits. The Crucial kits run $87, and the HyperX kits run $140. Which is almost double the price. Though I'm still not sure of it's performance versus long term reliability, or heat production. I do know that the Crucial RAM is CL11 (which apparently is slower, same as stock RAM), and is also 1.35V (or dual voltage RAM), where as the Kingston HyperX RAM is CL9, and is 1.5V RAM. So do you think the HyperX would run warmer or hotter than the Crucial? Also, if you know the HyperX RAM, you know that they have heat sinks on the outside. Though it needs to be said that with the 204-Pin HyperX RAM (ISODIMM), the heat sinks are basically metal decals, which I'm sure would help dissipate heat some, but I'm not sure.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.