Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mvkoe

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 4, 2008
Belgium
Hey

I'm having some problems, i want to make my app that is min required iOS 5.1 to higher. Now the problem is i have xcode Version 4.5.2, so it's basic always on iOS 6. and i don't really know how it works with, that i want to start making it for 5.1 and higher.

Grz

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Click on your project icon in the top left of Xcode, then choose the Build Settings (I think) tab and change the Deployment Target from whatever it is now to 5.1.

Mvkoe

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 4, 2008
Belgium
Click on your project icon in the top left of Xcode, then choose the Build Settings (I think) tab and change the Deployment Target from whatever it is now to 5.1.

But I can find 3 times deployment Target (project, target, build settings). I can change it twice in the project and target, but in the build settings it only says iOS 6, and nothing else.

Same as the storyboard info, do i need to set that deployment to iOS 5 also?

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Maybe you need to download the other SDKs? Go into Xcode's preferences and check the downloads tab.

Also, why bother supporting iOS 5.1? Last I've seen, iOS 6 had surpassed 70% and that was Pre-Christmas, I expect they're past 80% by now. And by the time your app ships, it'll be higher still.

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
...but in the build settings it only says iOS 6, and nothing else.

You are probably confusing Base SDK with iOS Deployment Target in your Build Settings. You should only need to change the setting in your Summary tab and you should be good to go.

Mvkoe

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 4, 2008
Belgium
You are probably confusing Base SDK with iOS Deployment Target in your Build Settings. You should only need to change the setting in your Summary tab and you should be good to go.

Okay thanks! Didn't found this on the internet tough..

Maybe you need to download the other SDKs? Go into Xcode's preferences and check the downloads tab.

Also, why bother supporting iOS 5.1? Last I've seen, iOS 6 had surpassed 70% and that was Pre-Christmas, I expect they're past 80% by now. And by the time your app ships, it'll be higher still.

Because i'm still running 5.1.1 for my jailbreak lol..

Albright

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2011

My iPad 1 can't run iOS 6, so I always build for 5.1 too. Not sure what the status is for other iDevices, but I suspect there are other "not that old" devices out there which shill have a lot of life in them, but just can't run iOS 6 or apps that require it.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
My iPad 1 can't run iOS 6, so I always build for 5.1 too. Not sure what the status is for other iDevices, but I suspect there are other "not that old" devices out there which shill have a lot of life in them, but just can't run iOS 6 or apps that require it.

Really? I was under the impression every iOS 5 compatible device was also iOS 6 compatible. I think my iPhone 3Gs is running iOS 6, but its battery is dead and I can't be bothered to power it up just to find out...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.