Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lamina

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 9, 2006
Niagara
For $99 I can keep my iPhone naked, knowing that if I drop it, I get a new one for $50.

I don't need to buy a huge bulky case. I can keep it in my pocket.

I've dropped it a few times, with minimal damage. One day I might drop it and break it. I don't need to depend on a $80 Otterbox that makes the phone twice its bulk, while taking away from that beautiful gorilla glass.

This is my recommendation for the best protection for your iPhone. It costs a bit more, but look at what you get!

Enjoy your iPhone naked. The way it was born. Get AppleCare+.

mackandproud

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2008
Hmm, apple will simply replace the phone?

They don't repair the phone in case of a drop?

They issue a new phone rather than a refurbished one?

Also, otterbox cases go for $15 - 25, not 80, unless you are talking about their new case being released in february.

For $99 I can keep my iPhone naked, knowing that if I drop it, I get a new one for $50.

I've dropped it a few times, with minimal damage. One day I might drop it and break it. I don't need to depend on a $80 Otterbox that makes the phone twice its bulk, while taking away from that beautiful gorilla glass.

This is my recommendation for the best protection for your iPhone. It costs a bit more, but look at what you get!

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012

But what if you drop it a second, third or fourth time, what happens then?

Minhimalism

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2012
Texas
I always enjoy my phone naked 90% of the time as I have for all of my iPhones and I've never needed AppleCare+. I'd rather not fall into the trap, I just take care of my phones.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
In this unlikely event, I can fix my own cracked screen, nuthing to it. Am not afraid of small tools and have a pairs of steady surgeons hands. No money for them.

Andrew K.

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2008
I didn't get AppleCare because I got the geek squad protection from best buy. I will get AppleCare for peace of mind for my new 21.5" iMac whenever it gets here lol

This is the best solution. Best Buy give you unlimited new replacements for $15 a month. I saw a guy get 5 replacements in one year :eek:

meistervu

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2008
Ask yourself one question: why a company sells an insurance plan? They are in the business to make money.

With AppleCare+, you pay $100 so that if your phone is damaged, you only have to pay another $50 for a replacement.

Without Applecare+, you pay nothing if you don't need a replacement. If you do, you pay $225.

So you either lose $100 if your phone never needs replacement with AC+, or save $75 with AC+ if your phone need to be replaced.

I didn't get AC+ after I looked at the numbers that way.

Last edited:

dave420

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2010
Ask yourself one question: why a company sells an insurance plan? They are in the business to make money.

With AppleCare+, you pay $100 so that if your phone is damaged, you only have to pay another $50 for a replacement.

AppleCare+ also doubles the regular warranty as well. I bought AppleCare+ for 2 iPhone 4S phones I bought about 15 months ago, and just used it to replace one because the power button stopped working. I didn't have to pay anything to get the phone replaced, so AppleCare+ has proven to be a good choice in my case.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
AppleCare+ also doubles the regular warranty as well. I bought AppleCare+ for 2 iPhone 4S phones I bought about 15 months ago, and just used it to replace one because the power button stopped working. I didn't have to pay anything to get the phone replaced, so AppleCare+ has proven to be a good choice in my case.

Yes, that's another reason I got Applecare. I got it for my iPhone 4 and it was replaced twice because of hardware failures and once because it was sitting on the dinner table and someone spilled a glass of water on it. Those last two incidents happened in the second year of coverage. Although Apple didn't cover accidental damage at the time, the nice genius still swapped it out -- Applecare + would now cover that officially.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Handling the iPhone is an acquired skill. Dropped the original iPhone twice and never again. AC+ isn't necessary if you never drop it (nor foolish enough to take to the toilet). I've carried all my iPhones naked since day one.

I have 90-day protection against accidental damage from Amex, which is a perfect time to adjust to the new model and manage the risk of others handling your new iPhone to check it out, etc. I also have extended warranty from Amex that doubles the standard one-year warranty free of charge, making AC+ essentially moot. Why pay for AC+ if Amex will cover it?

----------

Purchasing the iPhone with an Amex card will double the warranty free of charge. They'll reimburse you the $229 or up to the price you paid for it ($199).

aDRock1154

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2011
Ohio
I couldn't agree more with the OP.. I upgrade yearly and my wife gets my old handset. If I don't drop/break it within that year, then she gets two incidents.

I am very careful with my stuff, but I like peace of mind.

unlimitedx

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010

Using credit cards like Amex already provide built in additional warranty protection.

mackandproud

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2008
OP hasn't answered the question: do you get a brand new device, or a new-ish 'newly refurbished' device?

Also, why do you resort to inflating the price of a case to justify/rationalize buying applecare? Are you such a loyal fanboy that you must resort to distortion and disingenuous claims to bolster the evil empire's bottom line?

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005

Without Applecare+, you pay nothing if you don't need a replacement. If you do, you pay $225.

So you either lose $100 if your phone never needs replacement without AC+, or save $75 with AC+ if your phone need to be replaced.

I didn't get AC+ after I looked at the numbers that way.

Agreed. Between my wife and I we have now owned 7 iPhones. I've never purchased AppleCare nor have I ever needed it. If I'd purchased it, I'd be out $700.

Raggsokk

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2012
Where I live, there is no applecare+ worth having. It only extends the warranty by one year. And we got 5 years warranty on anything electronic. Dropping it however, should be avoided.

Would I gotten it if I lived in the US? Sure. Only replacing the screen here is $450..

Nale72

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2012
Sweden
Where I live, there is no applecare+ worth having. It only extends the warranty by one year. And we got 5 years warranty on anything electronic. Dropping it however, should be avoided.

Would I gotten it if I lived in the US? Sure. Only replacing the screen here is $450..

We don't have Applecare+ with low cost replacements here neither. But I guess we should be happy that a refurbished replacement "only" costs $380 here :rolleyes:.

JoshMKB24

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2013
Midwest
I go through phones pretty quickly and knock on wood I've only broken 1 iPhone since they came out in 2007. I got Applecare on my 27" iMac but I wouldn't get it for my iPhone. The replacement cost of a new 1 isn't enough to make me want the insurance so to speak on it. I mean since I get rid of it before the warranty is up unless I drop it or get it wet, I'm ok.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
Handling the iPhone is an acquired skill. Dropped the original iPhone twice and never again. AC+ isn't necessary if you never drop it (nor foolish enough to take to the toilet). I've carried all my iPhones naked since day one.

I have 90-day protection against accidental damage from Amex, which is a perfect time to adjust to the new model and manage the risk of others handling your new iPhone to check it out, etc. I also have extended warranty from Amex that doubles the standard one-year warranty free of charge, making AC+ essentially moot. Why pay for AC+ if Amex will cover it?

----------

Purchasing the iPhone with an Amex card will double the warranty free of charge. They'll reimburse you the $229 or up to the price you paid for it ($199).

100% agreed. I actually used my Amex extended (free!) warranty 3 months ago to replaced my broken iPad 2 that's was 18 months and out of warranty.

The touch screen stopped working on left hand corner of the iPad.

As long as there isn't any noticeable out of the normal wear and tear. Amex will reimburse u. Amex reimburse me for entire $250 plus taxes for my iPad 2 replacement. Took less than 7 business days to get money credited to my account.

Obviously Amex won't cover Damages cause by drops or liquids after their 90 day accidental limit expires. But the chances of me dropping my phone with my case on and cracking it are slim. I even have 2 kids (2 and 6 months) and nothing has happened to my iPhone 4 , 4S or 5.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
Remember AppleCare doesn't cover against theft either. Since all 4 major carriers in the US will not let stolen phones onto their network these days ( Att was last of carriers start blacklisting stolen phones) Their should be no reason for Apple not to offer theft coverage. Sure there could be scams about people reporting phones stolen and file a claim. But it's harder to scan the system these days. Or at least make the theft option a $229 deductible with AppleCare since it doesn't cost them $229 to make the phone.

adam044

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2012
Boston

Because I dont drop my phone and I'm keeping my phone naked for $0, I win

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.