Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

woshiysc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 5, 2012
Shenzhen,China
hi,guys.It's there any difference between New iMac with 680MX GPU compare to Lower-level GPUs in everyday applications like Aperture or final cut pro X?:confused:
I really don't find any difference between 675MX and 680MX in New iMac.

It's there any application use GPU acceleration make 680MX more speed?

Dr FranknFurter

macrumors member
Mar 23, 2012
Cambridge UK
Lots of threads on here about the merits of the GPU's so just have a look around. In a nutshell the GPU will have little no effect on programs such as Photoshop. The main difference is in games where the difference is very big, the 680MX is a beast considering its in an AIO, especially one thats only 5mm thick, 5mm!!! :D

ImaWizard

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2013
Michigan USA
Besides gaming, you may notice a difference in performance in After Effects and/or Premiere if you happen to use either. The preview render engine that Adobe utilizes relies on your GPU and OpenCL in particular.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
Besides gaming, you may notice a difference in performance in After Effects and/or Premiere if you happen to use either. The preview render engine that Adobe utilizes relies on your GPU and OpenCL in particular.

Premiere and After Effects use CUDA. The rest use OpenCL. In all cases they're used for specific features, but mercury playback on premiere isn't OpenCL based, meaning you need an NVidia card.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
What about Final cut pro X,I use it seldom.

It uses OpenCL for something. I'm not sure of the exact uses. Look them on the Apple site. I don't really use FCPX, but I remember the threads regarding what gpus would and wouldn't work after one of its updates.

woshiysc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 5, 2012
Shenzhen,China
It uses OpenCL for something. I'm not sure of the exact uses. Look them on the Apple site. I don't really use FCPX, but I remember the threads regarding what gpus would and wouldn't work after one of its updates.

Thanks,Thekev:)
I just wonder which normal application can make difference among GPUs.:rolleyes:

phobos

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2008
I would be interested to know as well.
I've also ordered a 27 inch with that card and I'm trying to figure out if it'll boost some programs or not. I'm not expecting much since it's a mobile card but whatever speed boost I get it would definitely be welcome!
I'm also interested to know it it'll work with the octane renderer. (http://render.otoy.com)
It should work since it's a CUDA card but even NVIDIA's newest mac drivers don't seem to support the card! (http://www.nvidia.com/object/cuda-mac-driver.html)

So I don't really understand what's going on with this configuration!

If anyone has that configuration and uses any pro apps it would definitely help to share some info!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.