Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
One day, probably after it's way too late and everyone has jumped ship, Apple will realize there is more a larger screen can offer than simply more rows of apps.

Apple, you make the nicest phones around, and your ecosystem is second to none. Please for the love of God start playing ball like you mean it.

sazivad

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2011
New Jersey
That's right, folks. Apple is gonna fire Tim Cook, release the iPhone Math 6S with ExynosQuad2.3GHZ4GLTEWiMAXSuperAMOLEDPentile128GB®, and acquire Samsung. Then, it'll license iOS.

(gee where do I sign up to be an analyst)

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Or they just got it right the first time. The Mac Desktop looks largely the same since System 7 or so.

They added several great features. And then they screwed them up. IE, dashboard. Or a grid of spaces.

I would love it if Apple allowed a few more things to be added to the home screen:

1 - Widgets
2 - Documents / Shortcuts (IE, you could have a shortcut to a specific Note in Notes, or a specific Photo in photos.)
3 - Folders in Folders
4 - Updatable app icons

I think the odds of Apple adding 1 & 4 are pretty good. The odds of 2 seem pretty dim (that'd be a pretty radical change... but at the same time, they already allow this for Safari.) The odds of 3 don't seem too bad, but I don't know how useful they would be without #2.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
If you're simply looking at the homescreen all day... you're doing it wrong.

Open an app once in a while.

A bigger screen will show a bigger image. The keyboard will be a little larger. Movies will be larger. Games will be larger.

Agreed and the home screens can show more info if Apple gives us a more up to date OS some time soon.

j1huynh

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2012
Adding another row is bad. Another column should be added or else the phone is too long.

xkmxkmxlmx

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2011
That's right, folks. Apple is gonna fire Tim Cook, release the iPhone Math 6S with ExynosQuad2.3GHZ4GLTEWiMAXSuperAMOLEDPentile128GB®, and acquire Samsung. Then, it'll license iOS.

(gee where do I sign up to be an analyst)

Just like all those iPad mini rumors turning out to be false, too, right?

Idiots to the very day before they were released screaming "no way, never".

definitive

macrumors 68020
Aug 4, 2008
the screen can be 10", but if the home screen remains looking like that, then it won't matter. ios needs a refresh. there are so many apps now, and having so many pages to flip through, or folders to configure is kinda inconvenient at this point.

hleewell

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2009
The new iPhone should be a smaller iPad Mini rather than a longer iPhone 5.
The current iPhone 5 is beautiful but I got a lot of "what's that in your pants" jokes

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
Please no! Making it taller doesn't make internet browsing easier. I know it's a rendering but fail!!!

Giuly

macrumors 68040
If they would do horizontally with the pixel count what they did vertically with the iPhone 5 and bring back the good ol' 3:2 aspect ratio with a resolution of 1136x757 (or 1200x800), I wouldn't mind. Landscape mode in 16:9 just doesn't feel right.

Also, I sincerely hope that there's a better explanation to the name than this:
doWnx4v.jpg

Last edited:

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
The trend towards smaller was a good thing, back when all you expected to do with your phone was make calls and maybe text someone.

These days, calling and texting are practically secondary features on a smartphone. Now, they're expected to be web browsers, movie players, document and ebook readers, game consoles...

...things that are (arguably) better done on larger screens.

Yes, that's true, so it's okay for a smartphone to be larger than non-smart phones, but there should be a limit to how big they can grow :D I mean, after a while it will be too big to be comfortable to have in your pocket (it's already at the limit of being big). I don't think the iPhone should be bigger, and if it does, it would be great if that was just an optional size along with the iPhone 5 size.

Doc750

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2010
I always knew I was a tendsetter. As soon as I got the note 2 because of the larger screen, better OS and more features, Apple and it's blind minions decided to follow.

Renzatic

Suspended
Yes, that's true, so it's okay for a smartphone to be larger than non-smart phones, but there should be a limit to how big they can grow :D I mean, after a while it will be too big to be comfortable to have in your pocket (it's already at the limit of being big). I don't think the iPhone should be bigger, and if it does, it would be great if that was just an optional size along with the iPhone 5 size.

See, I don't think there should be a limit, so much as a wider selection. You obviously like the iPhone 5 as it is, and that's fine. It's a good sized phone for people who want that balance between usability and...er...pocketability. Me? I think it's a little too small for heavy usage. I mean it's fine for looking something up quickly, but I wouldn't want to read a book on it, watch a movie, or play a game. It could do those things, yeah. But in my opinion, they'd be easier to do on a larger screen.

So between us, who's right? Well...both of us. We each have our own idea of what's best, what works and what doesn't. So why can't we have both? You get your traditional sized iPhone, and I get a larger one. Apple already has two iPad sizes, why not do the same for phones? Both could have the same hardware, the same resolution screen (you'd have to bump up the res on the 4" to maintain Retina pixel density on the bigger phone). The only difference would be screen size. It'd make a lot more people happy.

Hell, for people who want a phablet, why not add cell phone functionality to the iPad and Mini?

The only downside I'd see to this would be that the people with the smaller devices would have slightly less battery life. Otherwise, it's a great "everyone having their cake and eating it too" option.

Overg

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2012
If iOS doesn't change much it won't matter how big the screen gets it'll still be boring just with a bigger screen now

Can't agree more.

the next thing that should be different is Ios!
I hope apple will understand that the ios isn't like the tiger\lion what ever they have for the mac, where you can make small increment for 10939810238 years.
if they wont move fast, and change the look and feel every couple of years, android will take over.

The Ios haven't change since 2007!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.