Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

De5

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 23, 2012
I went to an apple retailer (not an official apple store, the nearest one to me is about a 5 hour drive..) and he told me I can send in my macbook pro into apple. I didn't ask if I had to pay or anything and I tried going to my local bestbuy to try and get a replacement. It was not possible. Tomorrow I am planning to go into the apple retailer and send it in. Will it cost me? I don't have apple care just the 1 year warranty thing. I am sending it in because of my faulty hinge and crooked/uneven trackpad. Basically the left side of my hinge is sticking out about 1mm and when I press on it, there are these cracking sounds. Also the hinge moves left and right which causes my hinge to make scratching sounds when opened. Also, the screen is crooked about 2mm-3mm when looking from above.
The only problem I have with my trackpad is that the left corner is above my case and the right side is dipped down 2mm. Is this something apple will fix? If so, how much money is it- or is it free?

Thanks.

Last edited:

el-John-o

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2010
Missouri
If it is a defect under warranty, no, you won't need to pay for it. Otherwise, it wouldn't be a warranty! Apple will still work on your MacBook out of warranty, but THAT is when you need to pay for it.

Depending on the retailer and how Apple's warranty stuff works in Canada, you MAY need to pay shipping, but here in the states that's not the case, whether from an Authorized Apple Retailer, or from an Apple Store.

You aren't likely to get an off-the-shelf replacement from anywhere but an Apple store though. Companies that sell Apple products won't get re-imbursed for the product for doing that. Apple does it as a courtesy, but they'll just send your old one in, fix it, and sell it as a refurb. However in the case of you having it sent in, they'll fix it and send it back to you.

De5

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 23, 2012
If it is a defect under warranty, no, you won't need to pay for it. Otherwise, it wouldn't be a warranty! Apple will still work on your MacBook out of warranty, but THAT is when you need to pay for it.

Depending on the retailer and how Apple's warranty stuff works in Canada, you MAY need to pay shipping, but here in the states that's not the case, whether from an Authorized Apple Retailer, or from an Apple Store.

You aren't likely to get an off-the-shelf replacement from anywhere but an Apple store though. Companies that sell Apple products won't get re-imbursed for the product for doing that. Apple does it as a courtesy, but they'll just send your old one in, fix it, and sell it as a refurb. However in the case of you having it sent in, they'll fix it and send it back to you.

Thanks. I'll try my luck tomorrow

De5

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 23, 2012
You don't have to go to the retailer. Just call AppleCare directly and they'll arrange a courier.

I'm past 90 days of my phone service thing, and I only have the 1 year warranty that comes with the macbook, not applecare. Can I still call them anyways? I couldn't find it on their website.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
I'm past 90 days of my phone service thing, and I only have the 1 year warranty that comes with the macbook, not applecare. Can I still call them anyways? I couldn't find it on their website.

Yeah. For actual hardware failures there isn't a charge for phone support.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.