Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MalooNZ

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 20, 2012
Auckland NZ
What would the next generation ipad need to have to make you upgrade? Personally 128gb would be that one thing.

pocketpenguin

macrumors regular
Nov 29, 2012
The ability to use a mouse or other pointing device. If I could use a trackpad or other device when using, say a remote desktop app or a word processing app, then my IPad experience would be perfect. As it is, "cursor" control is one of the major things I find lacking. That said, I wouldn't mind direct access to the storage file system either.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I use very little storage, so that is a nonissue for me. The changes I would like to see are wholly software-side, such as the ability to edit apps in Dropbox via pages and such. Little tweaks that improve the functionality of my ipad.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
What would the next generation ipad need to have to make you upgrade? Personally 128gb would be that one thing.

Storage doesn't bother me. I currently have a 64GB iPad 2 - and since I started using Spotify I use at most 20GB. My movies are available via home sharing, so I only ever have at most 2 movies synced.

If they release an iPad Mini with a retina screen, I will hit the buy button almost instantaneously.

smileyface

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2013
Thinner and most importantly significantly lighter and I will sell my ipad4 and upgrade.

By significantly lighter,I mean at least 100g lighter.

I would also buy a 15in retina ipad if they decide to make it, assuming it doesn't weigh a ton.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
iPad Mini w/ Retina
A6X
Base price 32GB starting capacity.

Has to have all 3, or I wait for next gen. In no hurry with my current full size iPad Retina, has everything I want. I don't expect to get my wish as those wishes aren't going to hit a doable price point.

Random 995K

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2012
It wouldn't make me upgrade right away, but the best feature would be a much longer battery life. like 15 to 20 hours worth instead of 10.

So many people, including myself, already get 12-18 hours easy on the ipad 4 and the mini.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....

New feature:

a native file sharing system between iOS and OSX.

that would be nice, but enhancements on the following existing elements would make me investigate before that:

If regular size:

much lighter and longer battery life.

If Mini:

retina and longer battery life at same price point.

Last edited:

Dyno-Mike

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2012
United Kingdom
4 High quality front facing stereo speakers placed on all 4 sides and automatically switch with the iPads portrait or landscape orientation.

I think this would be a nice addition

Eric E. Schmidt

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2012
Calif
osx and proper applications. tablets (apart perhaps from surface) are useless to me in current form.

ios is not the touch-only interface people tend to believe as you could easily control it with a mouse. in reverse, osx would be perfectly useable with touch input in current form.

Thetonyk123

macrumors 68000
Aug 14, 2011
Earth
Nothing. I'm perfectly happy with my ipad mini and I do not need retina display.

Although I do update it when it gets old. (No more OS updates)

Random 995K

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2012
Battery life depends on what you run. I get from 9 to 11 usually. Rarely I will get a bit more.

Hmm, brightness affects it alot as well. I just use safari, youtube, facebook and pages mainly. Sometimes play games as well. My brightness is ussualy 20% as im in door most the time with the ipad. On my iphone, brightness is around 60% since i take it everywhere and use it in the sun or well lit areas. It lasts about 7 hours. I don't think people would use their ipad 10 hours in one day (i have before but its rare) so im not sure why better battery life is a big thing, at least for the ipad its not imo. :) Do you run out of battery on yours before you sleep?

TC03

macrumors 65816
Aug 17, 2008
A thinner and lighter design than the iPad 2 and a better screen. Currently, the ones being shipped to customers have worse screens than the demo units. This needs to change.

Also, I'd love some kind of hybrid device which makes OS X boot once you plug in it an a keyboard dock. That way, you'll have a Macbook Air and iPad at once.

TC03

macrumors 65816
Aug 17, 2008
Can you elaborate?
I tried for myself, I have seen about 20 'real life' iPads, all had worse screens than the demo units. Also, check out the forum threads with 100+ pages about yellow screens, green screens and uneven screens. Just Google it. :)

There is no objective source for this claim, but my personal experience and that of many others tells that this in fact the truth.

Check out this thread for example:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3810949?start=750&tstart=0

If you go into the Apple Store and compare your iPad side by side, you'll see the difference.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.