Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rijno

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 20, 2010
There's quite a bit of misinformation here.

I am originally dutch but I live abroad for a while.

1. In Holland you need to pay taxes on purchased goods outside of Europe, not all goods you have to pay for, only if the total is more than a certain amount.

2. You have to buy it minimal 1 year before you arrive in Holland if you lived in another country.

3, If you want to import it after you lived in another country and want to live in Holland again you need to inform them before going back to Holland.

4. You have to at least live in another country for 1 year before you can import tax free.

There is a very simple way around this, if you buy a Laptop for instance fly to Belgium and then cross the border, Belgium can't make you pay the tax on the laptop since you are not Belgian.
There is no Customs on the borders in Europe so no problem.

To the OP, be careful with it, you might already have the Mac but asking someone else to do this is in my point of view stupid.
I would not do such a thing for anyone.
And dutch customs are smart, if you get caught you pay the taxes and a fine.

I see, thanks for the detailed info. Personally, I would not ask this of anyone but real close relatives either. Luckily my sis and me have a really strong bond :)

In fact, my sister will actually arrive in Belgium, so I guess I'm lucky on that part! :)

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
I see, thanks for the detailed info. Personally, I would not ask this of anyone but real close relatives either. Luckily my sis and me have a really strong bond :)

In fact, my sister will actually arrive in Belgium, so I guess I'm lucky on that part! :)

:D

So don't worry, you'll be fine.

I myself wanted to fly to H.K. to buy myself a MBP and an iPhone, sadly I didn't and am stuck with this powerbook and a 3GS.:eek:

rijno

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 20, 2010
rMBP!

So I've had my rMBP13 for a couple of days now, and I must say, this machine is amazing! It is so much faster, lighter and portable than my previous MBP15 and man, the screen is just a real pleasure to work with.

For those of you that are having trouble choosing between a MBA and rMBP13, I would like to share my personal experience, hopefully it may help you in your decision process:

I am really happy I went with the rMBP over the MBA. To be honest, I found it hard to justify the rMBP over the MBA. I don't need the extra specs or the better screen the rMBP brings, but for me the price difference was rather low (since I bought in HongKong, I had to pay less for a rMBP13 than the price I would pay for a base MBA in my own country). I went to my local Apple reseller quite a few times to compare both models, and I have changed my preference of rMBP/MBA quite a lot. Still, the MBA was a bit cheaper for me, though I felt the weight difference between both was negligible. I actually liked the form factor of the MBP better as it has a smaller footprint.

The main reason for me to bite the bullet on the rMBP was a really clear explanation by an Apple employee. He told me that even if I might not need retina, the screen is still the part of a laptop that you are looking at 100% of the time (if you don't use an external monitor obviously). Personally I really value the beauty of a retina screen. Yes, the MBA also has a fantastic screen, but everything you do on your laptop, from office/mail/browsing to watching HD video's or playing games just looks so much better on the retina screen to me.

Hope this helps!

Rijno

rijno

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 20, 2010
Congrats!

Were you able to get it with the correct keyboard and power plug?

Thanks Mrbobb!

The keyboard is perfect. I got a HongKong/China 3 pin power plug, and some sort of 2-pin convertible attachment (I think it is Japanese standard). I just took the EU two-pin attachment off of an old charger and put it on the magsafe 2, works great!

SenorVvangIstMoi

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2011
Bristol, UK
My friend did the same thing, coming from the USA. He bought a new macbook, took it out of the packaging and even put a few scratches into it to fool the customs people. No chance- they pulled him out and were able to identify where it came from based on the serial number- if they do pull your sister out for customs they are very likely to figure it out. My friend was sued, taken to court and had to pay €2500 fine...

I would not do it...

This is utterly *************.. sued for this?! what a story..
I used to travel a lot and always bring my MBA, a window laptop and an iPad with me all the time, no way you'll ever get into trouble because of this..

AppleMacNerd

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2013
United Kingdom
Get her to buy you the macbook pro.

Unwrap it all, buy a case and set it up looks like's it been used.
Get her to send you the macbook pro box/instructions in the post to you.
She will bring the macbook pro home with her on the flight.

If customs stop you say she needs a windows computer & mac computer for her work. and she doesn't have the box or anything so it might work.

Worst thing is you might get the box stopped in transit and not recieve it

flameproof

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2011
1. Anyone has any experiences with this?

2. Will there be any problems at customs? She will be carrying her own Sony Vaio laptop with her as well, and maybe an iPad (as she is considering buying one there).

3. What about the power supply on the MBA, can I just change the duck beak to a two-pin charger in order for it to be charged in Europe?

4. Will it be a normal QWERTY keyboard?

5. Will there any other problems that might occur which I have to think about?

Let me have a shot! If she STUDIES in Hong Kong she can get edu discount and save about EUR 40! => http://store.apple.com/hk_edu_13377/browse/home/shop_mac/family/macbook_air

1. Yes.

2. You can usually import about EUR 400 duty free. She will be well over that and most likely will have to pay NL VAT (~20%). I suggest strongly NOT to smuggle it in, customs people aren't stupid.

3. Charger will HK = UK style. Aske her to get an adapter (EUR 1.00)

4. Keyboard is usually English QWERTY.

5. Tax will be your/her main worry.

I used to travel a lot and always bring my MBA, a window laptop and an iPad with me all the time, no way you'll ever get into trouble because of this..

This is bad advise. A fine is unlikely, but you pay double VAT if caught. People get checked all the time and they know exactly what 'problems' a certain flight number brings in.

She will get checked at the point of entry. Belgium them. Limits can be slightly different. Better check.

BTW, if she gets it in you can have a potential problem every time you enter the EU again, they can see the origin easily from the serial number. Apple has country specific serials.

Last edited:

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
OP, congrats.

Maybe you should read all posts here, the one you replied to is a bit off but I can guarantee you if you get caught by the Dutch customs (and you are dutch) you pay the tax plus a fine, and they know all the tricks.

Get her to buy you the macbook pro.

Unwrap it all, buy a case and set it up looks like's it been used.
Get her to send you the macbook pro box/instructions in the post to you.
She will bring the macbook pro home with her on the flight.

If customs stop you say she needs a windows computer & mac computer for her work. and she doesn't have the box or anything so it might work.

Worst thing is you might get the box stopped in transit and not recieve it

He already got it, and customs aren't stupid (in Holland), they get the serial number and know exactly where you bought it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.